• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 Vmax Sx 700 Triple Help

N
Mar 7, 2018
Hi I have a 1999 Vmax Sx 700 Triple. The engine was replace by a previous owner so it has unknown miles. It is a red top 700 triple. Fist when I was having trouble with my sled I was bogging out every time I went to go full throttle. I did a compression test and it came 90 psi in each cylinder. So I went to a dealer bought new gaskets, pistons, and rings. Took the engine apart and put the new parts in. When I put the new gasket on the top, I cut the ribbit holding them together and took the middle layer out to build more compression. When I put everything back together, I did another compression test. It came out as 100 psi in each cylinder. I figured it was bad seals in the crank. So we bought a known good crank from a sled that had bad pistons. The sled that the crank came from was a 2001 sxr red top motor. I switched the cranks. Putting everything back together I noticed that the plugs from stator was different. So I took the recoil off my original crank. I've own this sled for 2 years and its the first time I've taken the recoil off. When I taken it off I noticed the fly wheel nut was missing. So I think this is the reason why my sled wasn't running right. But any way I switched the plugs from the stator. Now every things back together. I took the sled down the street and back. Now it sounds like its running on two cylinders. The cylinder furthest from the PTO side isn't firing. So I put a never been used BR9ES spark plug in. Still sounds like its running on two cylinders. So I did another compression test and i'm still reading 100 psi. Am I doing something wrong? Everything is torque to specs. I put in new gaskets for everything. Carbs have been cleaned recently.

Last edited:
N
Mar 7, 2018
pilot jets very small sure they are clean

Ya there clean, but that wouldn't be my problem if I only have a 100psi of compression. I did some research online and they say to take a feeler gauge and put your rings in the jug and see what the space between the openings of the rings. Dose anyone know what I should have for space between the rings. Im not shore if my jugs are bored out. Could I go with oversize rings? Or do I try running it on the trail to see if the rings sit in?

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
You've got compression and spark. Check the reads. It's got to be a fuel problem.

Ken..........

Last edited:

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
I think most guys are not concerned with the compression, every gauge reads different if they are equal I would say ok.
should be something with THAT cylinder, just saying IMO I would pull carb and chk reeds

i just bought a 1998 yamaha 700 triple(after my 99 yamaha 500 VMAX blew up). i was riding it and noticed some backfireing and dogging out on low RPMs, then i went through the engine and the fuel vaccum was part way off and the exaust was leaking due to lack of springs holding it together. well i fixed those 2 things and was wondering if the dogging out was normal or if there is somthing wrong with it. matinence tips would be nice

Premium Features