• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit to Axys

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
Long time Summit rider, just sold the 165 G4 and picked up RMK. A lot of buds ride Axys. I have never ridden one, but wanted to try one and experience what all the hype was. I'm intermediate rider I guess. Not a newb, but No Burandt by any means, but can get up through the trees.

Am I going to have a hard time on this thing? Again, have had a few cats, but been on a summit for quite a few years. Im sure there is a learning curve, but are they that much different? I mean the same physics have to apply Im guessing???

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Totally different feel, needs to be ridden different, but the same basics apply.

It’ll take you a few days to get used to I’m sure, but that just the way it is going from Doo to Poo or vise versa... if a bunch of your buds have Axys’ why didnt you ride one before jumping ship? Both great sleds, equally capable, just different machines. Your probably gonna feel like the Axys is underpowered and rides “heavy” but it should excel in the steep stuff.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I rode my cousins Axys 165 3 weeks ago. I currently ride a G4 175. It was hard for me to turn and felt a little less power. I know it is a great sled just not what I am use to.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It made me a much better rider once I got used to the vertical steering, It is good to understand that on a Doo you can push down on one end of the handle bars to turn, This makes the effort very low as your body weight is used. Of course this is a real determent when hanging off the side if the sled on a steep side-hill. The Polaris on the other hand is a push-pull motion when off to the side but is not as natural when positioned above the bars.

For this reason I am convinced that the Polaris is better when riding aggressively and the Doo is better when riding casually.

D
Mar 13, 2014
It made me a much better rider once I got used to the vertical steering, It is good to understand that on a Doo you can push down on one end of the handle bars to turn, This makes the effort very low as your body weight is used. Of course this is a real determent when hanging off the side if the sled on a steep side-hill. The Polaris on the other hand is a push-pull motion when off to the side but is not as natural when positioned above the bars.

For this reason I am convinced that the Polaris is better when riding aggressively and the Doo is better when riding casually.

Explain how that is a determent please? I keep reading all these posts like this and I really don't get it. I ride with polaris guys some turbo that have been riding there entire lives 2 of them are sponsored riders for some reason...talented guys. When we ride I never see a place or scenario where anything like that is obvious. I am 6'3 250 and I have never turned by just pushing down on a handle bar. It is a pull with a weight transfer for me.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It isn't a detriment. It is all in what your used to. I can ride either. The ones that don't like lay down type ride the other or vise versa. They haven't gotten used to it. It seems too different at first. The doo does steer easier, which is better on grumpy concrete shoulders. The axys is twice as easy as a pro. It is completely preference and a marketing ploy to sell snowmobilers, who will buy anything, stuff. If you don't make it somewhere it is because you ran out of talent. Not because of your steering. I guess it could be because of your steering. That is because you went this way and should have went that way.

D
Mar 13, 2014
It isn't a detriment. It is all in what your used to. I can ride either. The ones that don't like lay down type ride the other or vise versa. They haven't gotten used to it. It seems too different at first. The doo does steer easier, which is better on grumpy concrete shoulders. The axys is twice as easy as a pro. It is completely preference and a marketing ploy to sell snowmobilers, who will buy anything, stuff. If you don't make it somewhere it is because you ran out of talent. Not because of your steering. I guess it could be because of your steering. That is because you went this way and should have went that way.

That is get and agree with 100%. I go the wrong way all the time hahahaha that is when I start to high five trees.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Last year I had an AXYS and G4. I sold the AXYS and bought another G4. The AXYS is a great sled, but after riding the G4, the AXYS felt harder to ride. A very capable sled, but compared to the G4, it's going to feel like more work to you.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Explain how that is a determent please? I keep reading all these posts like this and I really don't get it. I ride with polaris guys some turbo that have been riding there entire lives 2 of them are sponsored riders for some reason...talented guys. When we ride I never see a place or scenario where anything like that is obvious. I am 6'3 250 and I have never turned by just pushing down on a handle bar. It is a pull with a weight transfer for me.

Here is an exaggerated exercise to explain. Put your arms out in front of you, now lower one arm and lift the other (Skidoo turning) now change to a push and pull motion (Polaris) Which motion do you think your arms are stronger at doing?

i know it is not all arm movement that makes your sled turn but when off to one side or the other this scenario is realistic.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Last year I had an AXYS and G4. I sold the AXYS and bought another G4. The AXYS is a great sled, but after riding the G4, the AXYS felt harder to ride. A very capable sled, but compared to the G4, it's going to feel like more work to you.

I see by your avatar that you ride a Harley, I ride a KTM. The KTM is much harder to ride but much more fun too. It says something about our preferences, just say'n.:face-icon-small-win

D
Mar 13, 2014
Here is an exaggerated exercise to explain. Put your arms out in front of you, now lower one arm and lift the other (Skidoo turning) now change to a push and pull motion (Polaris) Which motion do you think your arms are stronger at doing?

i know it is not all arm movement that makes your sled turn but when off to one side or the other this scenario is realistic.

From a standing position my lift arm would be the strongest in both style's. From one side I am so heavy it doesn't matter ha, no I can see that being easier from one side. I spend almost no time on one side when riding aggressive.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Going from an xm to an axys will suck for you for a while. It will take 5-10 rides before you get the hang of the axys chassis. Foot placement is much more important on the axys. It also takes way more effort to ride. After riding all brands in a day(18’ cat, 17 axys and 850) the axys took the most effort to ride. It really shines when you ride it hard but no one rides hard all day, no one. There are times we all take it easy. That is when you will hate the axys.

From my experience, the 850 is like the axys, when you push it hard it becomes very agile and a monster in the trees, but it takes ay less effort than the axys and it’s a lot funner to ride in the terrain that doesn’t require full throttle and wrong foot forward.

As far as the steering goes, I’ve never leaned on the bars on a skidoo so I’m not sure what people mean by that. It’s always a push pull action, just like on the cat and axys.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Going from an xm to an axys will suck for you for a while. It will take 5-10 rides before you get the hang of the axys chassis. Foot placement is much more important on the axys. It also takes way more effort to ride. After riding all brands in a day(18’ cat, 17 axys and 850) the axys took the most effort to ride. It really shines when you ride it hard but no one rides hard all day, no one. There are times we all take it easy. That is when you will hate the axys.

From my experience, the 850 is like the axys, when you push it hard it becomes very agile and a monster in the trees, but it takes ay less effort than the axys and it’s a lot funner to ride in the terrain that doesn’t require full throttle and wrong foot forward.

As far as the steering goes, I’ve never leaned on the bars on a skidoo so I’m not sure what people mean by that. It’s always a push pull action, just like on the cat and axys.

The steering post is not completely horizontal on the Doo and not completely vertical on the Axys just more so, one over the other. You may not even realize that you are doing an up down movement on a Doo as the movements become natural on either sled.

P
The steering post is not completely horizontal on the Doo and not completely vertical on the Axys just more so, one over the other. You may not even realize that you are doing an up down movement on a Doo as the movements become natural on either sled.

The doo definitely has a "flatter" steering post angle which makes for some weird steering input for some people depending on how they set it up. But I feel foot placement is just as important on the xm/G4's as it is on the axys. That and how you set up your bars...laid right back is a definite recipe for killing your arms by days end lol
My personal preference is about 15 deg forward of steering post, flat bars turned up a bit, a 6" riser (I stand 6 ft) and staying fairly far forward on the machine most of the time. Those small changes (shocks too) turned my xm into a weapon compared to an axys.
Just wish it could hold a sidehill as good as the sidehilling king.......axys lol

B

BC_mtn_rider

Nov 11, 2012
Surrey B.C.
I was a 10 year POO, (Edge, IQ, PRO, Axys chassis) had em all & I switched to DOO for engine reliability reasons. What I can tell you is that the POO sled are by far the easiest rider friendly sleds by a long shot. They will turn an average rider which I was into a shredder & do things on a POO I couldn't do on the others. They are cheater sleds! After a few seasons ridin DOO's you really have to work for it, but they make you a far better, more polished in the long run. Of course like everyone says, itll take a few rides to get use to it but once you do your laughin! Good luck!

Premium Features