• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1100 Turbo Slipping Under Load

B
Jan 23, 2008
I am hoping someone can assist. I rode my M1100 turbo today and when the turbo kicks in hard, it feels like my drivers are skipping and you can feel it skip. It isn't engine related as I don't have this problem when I take the sled up to high speed slowly. It happens in power or when you hit the throttle quickly. If feels as if the chain is skipping on my gears. The sled has a lot of aftermarket items and is pushing 270 hp. I have already checked track tension and the track is not too loose. I have 1 deflection at 20 lbs.
I use a Dayco belt and rode with it all last year (only $65 from Autozone) and it didn't happen then. Any suggestions on what to look for? The belt looks new.

Thanks for the help.

blackjack85335

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
Open it asap.

My chain case blew up first ride last year and almost shot a chunk of the case into my leg. I switched over to a belt drive and couldn't be happier. Very snappy and great sense of relief knowing I have no chain or gears and oil to worry about. Let us know what you find inside.

B
Jan 23, 2008
Thanks for your reply. I will let you know what I find. Quick question, where did you go to get the belt drive and approx cost?

Thanks again

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The chain is on its way out. Probably time for hyvo gears and chain. I had my chain break on my m1100t with very few miles. The torque of this engine is very good and the chain/gears/tensioner is very poor. Country cat sells an update kit with the gears/chain/tensioner. Get it before you need a chaincase as well.

B
Jan 23, 2008
Possible Solution

So I have my sled at the dealer but they can't look at it for several weeks. Have any of you had an issue with the drivers breaking or slipping on the drive shaft, thus causing it to feel like it is slipping? I was thinking that something might be wrong with the drivers on the drive shaft. I have the white 7 tooth drivers now. Any suggestions?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
So I have my sled at the dealer but they can't look at it for several weeks. Have any of you had an issue with the drivers breaking or slipping on the drive shaft, thus causing it to feel like it is slipping? I was thinking that something might be wrong with the drivers on the drive shaft. I have the white 7 tooth drivers now. Any suggestions?

I’m really thinking it’s your chain.

Chain is more common then the drivers, unless your track was REALLY loose.

Is this sled under warranty?

B
Jan 23, 2008
I am not sure if it is under warranty but I think it should be since the dealer replaced the upper drive shaft late last year and had to open the gear case. Wouldn't it make a knocking noise if the chain was skipping? I really don't hear anything when it happens. Maybe the noise of my straight pipe is too loud...

B
Jan 23, 2008
I picked up my sled this morning and dug into it. I found the drivers looked good so I broke into the chain case. One the bottom clear view window, it looked like something had been rubbing against it. I checked the chain tension and found it had almost maxed out on the auto-adjustment arm. So, I took off the chain and found that 5 of the chains links were broken. It wasn't the outside link but the next link in and since it was broken, it must have been rubbing against the oil view window. Do you all think this could be the cause and the chain just needs to be replaced?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I would get a HD chain and a Manual tensioner if I were you. Or one of the new style auto tensioners.... I think I’ve read on here where people have used the Yamaha tensioners in place of the cat one.....

Last edited:
B
Jan 23, 2008
As a follow up, I opened up the chain case and found the chain had gone bad... lots of play. I replaced it and took it for a test yesterday. Sled ran awesome. Thanks for all of your input.

Premium Features