• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camso Drive Axle Sprocket Replacement

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
so when looking over my 2018 Camso DTS this weekend, I found a bent sprocket on the drive axle. I've ordered the part from the local Camso dealer
but they didn't want to fix it (no experience with snow bikes).

I'm wondering how difficult this is too replace. I can do some of my own work but my tools and experience are limited. What do i need to take off in order to change the sprocket on the drive axle (see attached pictures)? Do I have to pull the entire left (chain) side plate off? Will i need to remove the skid?

Thanks for any help in advance

BentDriveSprocket.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
Time wise its probably just as fast to remove the left side panel as it is to break the chain. You don't need to drop the skid in order to pull off the panel just loosen your track off. Once you get the side panel off which is actually pretty easy, remove the bearing holder bolts, all the tunnel bolts and it comes right off. You will then need to drop the brake caliper and remove the right side bearing bolts. You should be able to pull the drive shaft then. Mark the location of the driver on the drive shaft with a sharpie prior to pressing the old driver off and the new driver on. Take measurements as well just to be on the safe side for install. re assembly is just the reverse. You may need a second set of hands to get the skid bolts back in if you didn't remove the torsion spring which I never do. While you have the panel off check it for any cracks if it has any Camso will replace it. Might as well only do the job once.

M5

PS My family has a cottage on Otty Lake

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
thanks so much M5. those are great instructions and easy to follow. I'm going to give it a try myself. I was wondering if I had to remove the torsion spring and was hoping i wouldn't have too. I checked the side panels and there are no cracks but a few dents from the rock(s) i hit

small world. I actually grew up in a house just off Otty Lake and enjoyed many days out on the boats as a teenager.

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
How did you bend the sprocket? Just curious.

Good luck with the replacement project. Please let us know how it goes and any lessons learned. Feedback such as what you got from M5 is exactly why I love this forum...

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
to be honest, i'm not exactly sure how i damaged the sprocket. I hit a large rock early on my last ride (and went over the bars) but it looks like the only thing that was damaged was the sprocket along with some dents on the side panel (see picture). I didnt really notice anything wrong when riding. Even bent that bad, it still runs but the track is very loose and my secondary chain is very loose (even after tightening and only moving across the garage).

M5, you mentioned in your post about dropping the brake caliper. Does this mean removing the 6 bolts that go around the brake rotor or am I on the wrong path? I've done everything else and the only thing holding it in is the brake assembly.

Timberview1, i definitely agree about the forum. All the helpful members of the forum really make a huge difference when doing my own work (or even taking it to a mechanic that has never seen a snow bike before). I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

LeftSidePanel.jpg

M
Jan 14, 2004
Forgot to mention, remove the drive shaft retaining bolt on the right/brake side. after the bearing bolts are loose and the track is loose you should have enough wiggle room to slide the driveshaft out. The brake hub is splined. You shouldn't need to remove the rotor mounting bolts. I'm not certain you can remove the caliper without removing the right side panel as I haven't tried it that way, but once the drive shaft retaining bolt is out you should be able to pull it free providing you can get the drivers past the nubs on the track. There's a collar in there too. So it goes from in to out driveshaft, collar, brake hub, bearing, retaining bolt.

M5

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
thanks for the help M5, i really appreciate it. i had removed the drive shaft retaining bolt and then I figured out where my problem lies, the brake side bearing is stuck on the axle shaft and was not letting it come out. I've disconnected the brake line and pulled the drive axle and break assembly out but the bearing is still stuck on there and i'm having trouble getting it out. gonna give it another try again later tonight.

On another note, hats off to Camso for having my part overnight to my local dealer (and for a reasonable $45 CDN). Very impressed to have overnight parts from anyone, especially for the snow bike.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Check those bearings while you have it apart, they tend to wear pretty quickly. The bearing number is AS205-014. They are available from most bearing houses. NTN makes a good one. The AS is the important part of the designation its not just a standard 205 bearing.

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
Replace them both its usually the drive side that fails first, if the brake side is bad the drive side is likely worse. The bearing set up in the Camso is a weak point IMO they only last about 50 hours.

M5

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
thanks m5, i've ordered 2 new bearings just in case.

I've finally gotten the bearing off the brake side of the drive axle. I tried banging it out at home and then finally took it to a friends place and used a bearing press and even then it was difficult to get off the axle.

I now think the brake end of the drive axle may be bent. I can't see any problems but neither bearing will even start to go on the axle even a little. In contrast, both bearings will go on and off the chain side of the axle without any problem. I'm not exactly sure how this would happen though (seems as if the 1 end is just slightly larger than other end).

I think I'm just going to order the drive axle assembly tomorrow unless someone has a better idea.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Its actually a pretty tight tolerance, have you wire wheeled all the rust and crap off the axle right down to shiny metal. Try that first.

M5

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’m just just going to state the obvious here.

(If you had to press it off, you will have to press the new one on)

Who knows why both ends don’t have the same interference fit. (Maybe because of the sprocket?)

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
haha,Sheetmetalfab, when you say it like that it make perfect sense. I'm glad you said that tho, i was wondering if it was common to have slighly different tolerances/fits. I'm going to clean it up today and see if that makes it better.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Clean the inner race of the bearing as well just for testing purposes. I'm pretty sure none of that stuff is pressed on at the factory. The bogie wheels rust onto their shafts as well and don't come off easily. Are you crossing salty roads etc by chance when you ride or trailering with an open trailer? You could be seeing the effects of eastern road maintenance. I don't miss that.

M5

Last edited:

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
ya, i had to ride a salted logging road for 3 or 4 km last time we were out. It was nerve racking. I'll clean them off good while i wait for the bearings.

I supposed it happened at a good time as we about to see 10mm of rain this weekend.

thanks again for all your help

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
well, i finally got everything back together again last weekend and took it around the yard a few times. Cost me $10 to have the old sprocket pressed off and new one but on at the local machine shop. Overall, it was not too difficult to put back together with a 2nd set of hands to help.

I did have a hard time finding the NTN bearings tho. Lots of places say they have it (and i ordered thru 1 of them) but no one actually had any stock on the AS205-014. The company i ordered it though took a few weeks but then got back to me and said they dont have any in stock and NTN canada told them they don't know when the next shipment will go out. I found some on ebay but I didnt want to wait so i threw the old ones in for a few spring rides.

thanks for the help getting this fixed everyone!

Premium Features