• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Patriot Owners- Poll Failure or Not

Has Your 850 Failed. Vote multiple times if you have multiple 850s

• No

Votes: 341 81.2%
  • Yes, Top End

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Yes, Bottom End

Votes: 61 14.5%

• Total voters

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
My 850 rmk suddenly started bogging at WOT at about 350 miles. Pulled it in the garage parked it for the night and the next morning there was a puddle of oil on the floor. Oil spattered all over the inside of the belly pan. Oil lines intact. Brought it to my dealer and they said it was ‘packing oils’. Hahahaha. They did a reflash and cleaned it up and sent me on my way.... rode the sled today and the bogging is worse and there’s more oil spattered on the bellyvpan and all around the motor. Dropped off at dealer and waiting for their response... my question is what do you think it could be? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nate.
<div><br> 

<div>What color is the oil? Does it look like new oil or black gook?</div><div>You may have fouled a plug bringing on the bog.</div><div>Pretty common to have black oil in the engine bay until the grafoil seal on the pipe seals up. Hope it's something simple like this for you</div></div>

S
Mar 1, 2019
Well, i was going to buy a 2020 poo 850 RMK, now I'm thinking just buy the Freeride doo, which isn't as flickable, but at least I can rely on the motor

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Well, i was going to buy a 2020 poo 850 RMK, now I'm thinking just buy the Freeride doo, which isn't as flickable, but at least I can rely on the motor

They claim to have made the necessary changes to fix the problems. The only one not addressed is Indy Dans desire for a high quality bore finish.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
couldn't agree more ^^^

their all gunk
my buddies poo 850 was so flooded it wouldn't start and he lost a day riding (new plugs 100 pulls still nothing)
other buddy has lost two doo 850s 1 @600 miles 1 @ 1300
rode with an Alpha in Tahoe and it was killing it till it scattered the motor at 1200 miles

i usually kiss the truck after a long day :face-icon-small-win
sure do love this sport though

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
couldn't agree more ^^^

their all gunk
my buddies poo 850 was so flooded it wouldn't start and he lost a day riding (new plugs 100 pulls still nothing)
other buddy has lost two doo 850s 1 @600 miles 1 @ 1300
rode with an Alpha in Tahoe and it was killing it till it scattered the motor at 1200 miles

Pretty sure they are all getting this way because of EPA regs and a serious lack of lubricating oil. I hope they get it figured out soon, I am going to need to replace the old zuk and it doesn't look like any of them are lasting like they used too...

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Ok cool, I had the rental for 3 days. Its been at the dealer now for two days and I dont think they have even started taking it apart yet. That part is really pissing me off because they dont even know what they need yet for parts. Bad enough I didnt even get it until the first week of January and now I have to wait again...

My oil line popped off (should have been a week down max) and it was down over 40 days thanks to a ****ty dealer. So I wouldn't complain yet!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
:noidea: XC chassis.....

View attachment 300640

Number of running hours would be a lot more helpful...

With a 50 mph average speed on a trial sled, this could be as little as 100 hrs time on the motor. That would be about 1500 mtn miles. Trail sleds always rack up impressive miles, mtn sleds almost never do.

I think the rated life of these motors is 250 hrs between rebuilds. Mileage doesn't mean much other than somebody has been riding a lot, and that is a good thing!

K
Apr 11, 2010
AK

Yup! I sure wish the OEM's would keep remembering the most important rule of snowmachining: TO MAKE IT BACK TO THE TRUCK AT THE END OF THE DAY!

Give me reliability over performance any day, all day and twice on Sunday.

Edit: Only got 230 miles on an my 850 SKS 155 2.6 this season. No issues. No plug changes. Finally out of break-in. This sled rips. I'm pretty well happy with it.

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Yup! I sure wish the OEM's would keep remembering the most important rule of snowmachining: TO MAKE IT BACK TO THE TRUCK AT THE END OF THE DAY!

Edit: Only got 230 miles on an my 850 SKS 155 2.6 this season. No issues. No plug changes. Finally out of break-in. This sled rips. I'm pretty well happy with it.

Honest question... What made you choose the Polaris 850 if get back to the truck reliability was your first concern? I think it is pretty well understood that Polaris makes a fine riding machine but they are back of the pack for motor reliability. Seems like you would be on a Cat or Doo if that was your primary concern....

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

That's for sure! Getting back to the truck (no injuries, hypothermia, frostbite, wrecks, break-downs) is everyone's primary concern. ALL brands have their issues! Just check out other areas of this forum.

The "gloom and doom" of the Polaris brand haters (vocal minority) did not come to pass as predicted at the start of the season . . .not even close!! Alot of "yapping" went on . . . especially from one loudmouth source though . .WOW!! The ignore feature sure worked well to muzzle that lap dog :)

All in all, a GREAT year on the 850 for everyone around here. No issues whatsoever for anyone i know or ride with. Like you, I LOVE this sled!!! It absolutely RIPS! I am beyond happy with mine!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
That's for sure! Getting back to the truck (no injuries, hypothermia, frostbite, wrecks, break-downs) is everyone's primary concern. ALL brands have their issues! Just check out other areas of this forum.

The "gloom and doom" of the Polaris brand haters (vocal minority) did not come to pass as predicted at the start of the season . . .not even close!! Alot of "yapping" went on . . . especially from one loudmouth source though . .WOW!! The ignore feature sure worked well to muzzle that lap dog :)

All in all, a GREAT year on the 850 for everyone around here. No issues whatsoever for anyone i know or ride with. Like you, I LOVE this sled!!! It absolutely RIPS! I am beyond happy with mine!

64 dead ones in the poll and you are excited... NO other brand has seen this level of machine failure, not even close.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
64 dead ones in the poll and you are excited... NO other brand has seen this level of machine failure, not even close.

You just cant let anyone say good things about polaris without spewing your own hatred can u? Anytime someone comments how much they like their Polaris, how its running great, no problems, ect, we can bet here comes bigten to the rescue to tell them they are wrong. That in fact their sled runs like hell, its about to blow up, and you indeed dont like it. You're a broken record. Just go away. The new 850 is the real deal, it's a fantastic sled. It's better than the other two brands in my opinion. And that's not a knock on either of them because they are both great sleds as well and I'm sure a lot of guys would out ride me with either. I havent had a single hiccup with mine. It sounds like poo took excellent care of the poor guys who had issues and they have the problems remedied for 2020.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You just cant let anyone say good things about polaris without spewing your own hatred can u? Anytime someone comments how much they like their Polaris, how its running great, no problems, ect, we can bet here comes bigten to the rescue to tell them they are wrong. That in fact their sled runs like hell, its about to blow up, and you indeed dont like it. You're a broken record. Just go away. The new 850 is the real deal, it's a fantastic sled. It's better than the other two brands in my opinion. And that's not a knock on either of them because they are both great sleds as well and I'm sure a lot of guys would out ride me with either. I havent had a single hiccup with mine. It sounds like poo took excellent care of the poor guys who had issues and they have the problems remedied for 2020.

Been what a month or so since I posted... I just can't let anyone say anything good? Seems like you just do not want to hear anything bad. Matter of perspective I guess.

Hopefully they have it sorted for 2020. I have always wanted it to work but when history repeated itself on a new Polaris motor launch, it was hardly a surprise.

I am glad a lot of guys did so well with them. Turns out quite a few had issues, issues I understand most of you would like to ignore.

I just keep trying to decide if getting one and having Indy Dan go through it first is worth the money. I keep coming back and looking at the number of failures. That poll doesn't concern you at all? Completely illegitimate?

Premium Features