• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I add electric start to snow check?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
How much heavier is it? For the average rider are you really going to notice the weight difference?

As thinking of adding this option to the snow check. The older I'm getting I like less work; granted, once the sled is warm it starts pretty easy with a pull.

I know on a cold start odds are the electric start isn't going to work, especially if your sled is not stored in a heated garage.

Last edited:

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
I put it on mine last year. We left it outside on overnight stays and it worked great. I think it adds 60 pounds.
I think I noticed it at first but I don't anymore.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I don’t know for sure, but the Polaris guys told me at Jackson it’s 20 lbs and you can switch to a lightweight battery and drop that by around 8 lbs. they said with the lightweight battery it may not start when cold. Don’t know any of this for sure, but I too am trying to decide on electric start.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I don’t know for sure, but the Polaris guys told me at Jackson it’s 20 lbs and you can switch to a lightweight battery and drop that by around 8 lbs. they said with the lightweight battery it may not start when cold. Don’t know any of this for sure, but I too am trying to decide on electric start.

My deciding factor is the weight; 20 pounds isn't much as I'm not an extreme rider. Especially since my season is done, and first ride of next season would be on new sled with electric start.

As I'll put on an slp can, which shed 7.7 pounds according to slp; so net out, for easy math, only 12 pounds more . Do the lightweight battery and you're at just over 4 lbs more. I would not do the lightweight battery though if causes starting issues, kind of defeats the purpose. Get rid of warning stickers and that sheds some more weight.

Well, I think I just answered my question.

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
i opted not to get it, the poo e/s is archaic. Ive had e/s the last 10 yrs on doo, but also want the lightest sled as possible. Its really cluttered with e/s by the belt drive and wanted to avoid pulling all of it out if i had to change a belt in the field. If poo could do a shot deal down the road that would be sweet.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
My deciding factor is the weight; 20 pounds isn't much as I'm not an extreme rider. Especially since my season is done, and first ride of next season would be on new sled with electric start.

As I'll put on an slp can, which shed 7.7 pounds according to slp; so net out, for easy math, only 12 pounds more . Do the lightweight battery and you're at just over 4 lbs more. I would not do the lightweight battery though if causes starting issues, kind of defeats the purpose. Get rid of warning stickers and that sheds some more weight.

Well, I think I just answered my question.

In my opinion, you DO want to add the lightweight battery! True, it will not start when the temps are in the single digits . . . . BUT . . . just plan on pull starting the first start of the day, and use the ES all day long. This loses about 10 lbs on the battery weight . .. win / win!

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I ordered pidd and electric start on my 19 850. The electric start was nice in off-camber situations. The pidd what's useful in unfamiliar territory. I will not include either in my next purchase as I didn't feel they were worth the extra thousand bucks for the two.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
i opted not to get it, the poo e/s is archaic. Ive had e/s the last 10 yrs on doo, but also want the lightest sled as possible. Its really cluttered with e/s by the belt drive and wanted to avoid pulling all of it out if i had to change a belt in the field. If poo could do a shot deal down the road that would be sweet.

You're talking about the QD belt, right?

Doesn't Polaris recommend to replace this every 2k miles?!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Looks to me like you could switch to a lithium battery and put a lightweight can on it and he a wash weight wise. May have to pull the role when cold, but you have too with shot.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
There is a Lithium Ion Battery (EarthX) that WILL start in cold temps, if using the starter on a cold morning is that important to a person. They are around $300 as i recall. I just used the WPS lightweight battery ($130) in mine, and pull start in the morning.

https://earthxbatteries.com

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
I snow check a sled or Two each year and never get electric start. I just do not want any extra weight. The Polaris always starts in one pull when it's warm and 3 when its cold. However, I get electric start for my wife because she likes it.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I’m a huge fan of e start. I even prefer it to shot but I am working around a neck injury that is really aggravated by pull starting a sled. I HIGHLY recommend the Shorai LW lithium battery that is the same size as the stock lead battery. It doesn’t get cold in WA but on my WY trips it has worked after a couple of tickles with the starter to wake it up and get it a little warm. These batteries last me about 3 seasons. I also highly recommend the Shorai factory battery charger/maintainer. It charges all 6 cells independent of each other. If a cell goes to zero volts it wont take a charge with a regular charger or the sleds charging system. I have brought back batteries from the dead with this charger.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
2019 850 first sled with electric start will not buy one with out it just count how many time you pull the rope in a day. Maybe when I was 25 it didn't matter but it does today.

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Any one else find the 850 a real hard pull in a cold morning? -30c and the sled is getting pulled backwards. Even in the -20's its a bear. Reminds me of the 01 800. Warmed up = one hand sitting on sled.
I don't like electric start but I think i'm going to order my first one ever. Getting old is a bitch!

gdwrnch10

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
northern Utah
Last 3 sleds have had electric start and won't have another without. When you are in your late 60s you want to conserve energy for riding and getting unstuck. Have never noticed the weight difference. My 850 never flooded, but my friend's did a few times without e start

Last edited:

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Any one else find the 850 a real hard pull in a cold morning? -30c and the sled is getting pulled backwards. Even in the -20's its a bear. Reminds me of the 01 800. Warmed up = one hand sitting on sled.
I don't like electric start but I think i'm going to order my first one ever. Getting old is a bitch!

I rode a demo 850 - thought it was kind of tough to pull at 10F...haha...but I've never been able to do much more than 5 pull ups.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
About how many years does the WPS battery last?

Two seasons is the longest i have had one of the WPS batteries in mine, due to selling the sled and snowchecking a new one. I was going to keep the battery and put it in the new sled, but the guy who bought it wanted it left in. It was still going strong, and the guy was VERY happy it came with Electric Start!

SS 155 dragon

Premium Member
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon
My wife has had ES on all her sleds. Since 2011 my sleds have had it. She wanted my sled to have it for assurance in case I was unable to start it she could. Also gives two ways to start a sled. As we get older we get wiser where to use the muscle . New 850 Khaos will have ES

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Don't do it. They start with a flick of the wrist. Almost as easy as pushing a button but lighter and much more reliable.

Skidoo you do need it as the pull starter is way lower and harder to pull.

Premium Features