• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YZ450f KMS turbo build

S
Jan 28, 2019
there was a plug that went into the stock airbox, I guess its the MAF sensor. There is no plug on the turbo harness that I found which plugs into the stock MAF sensor harness. Is there supposed to be a connection there to the turbo harness? do I just leave the plug hanging free as the KMS intake pipe has its own MAF sensor?

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
I believe those two plugs you circled are not used, take the sensor out of the stock air box, plug it back in and zip tie it somewhere out of the way. One of those connections probably slpices into the TPS but the dynojet instructions should show that. You need to drill and tap a boost reference behind the butterfly in the throttle body. The other is probably for the blow off valve.

S
Jan 28, 2019
I believe those two plugs you circled are not used, take the sensor out of the stock air box, plug it back in and zip tie it somewhere out of the way. One of those connections probably slpices into the TPS but the dynojet instructions should show that. You need to drill and tap a boost reference behind the butterfly in the throttle body. The other is probably for the blow off valve.

HUGE Thanks for the help 4bangr!!
Ive confirmed with another source the 2 plugs off the wideband are optional, and he also said the same thing you said about the sensor.

Yes im currently trying to find a miniature barbed adapter to tap it into the throttle body, may just end up having to make one. The smallest one I found at the hardware store had like 3/8 threads and that would make it much harder to get a seal on the round throttle body. looking for an adapter with a 1/8'' ID to maintain at least the same ID as the tubing.

I believe there was a connection into the turbo harness from the TPS. The turbo harness connects to stock harness at the plugs behind Right radiator, and if I remember correctly that was for the TPS.

S
Jan 28, 2019
I have one more question left: The stock harness has 2 locations that have the same plug/connectors- the stock harness --> to ignition coil and stock harness --> stator. That turbo harness has a set of identical plugs/connectors also because it splices into the stock harness at one of these points. I need help figuring out which location is the proper one.
A little further up from these connections on the turbo harness there is 2 wires which are output for headlight power supply. This should help to figure out where the harness should plug into, but it doesnt mean much to me as I dont know where I would tap into the harness to get headlight power supply. Right from the stator? somewhere after the condensor around ignition coil?

S
Jan 28, 2019
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711TSGG4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_WwkNCb7Y3DHXA

I use these with white permatex thread sealant. Hopefully these pictures help you with your wiring, take a close look at the color of the connectors and wires.

I should also let you know that you will probably need a gytr power tuner and the dynojet software on a computer to get it to run good.

Thanks for the links!
I was trying to get a barbed adapter locally as I'm trying to take it out riding this weekend. I got thread sealant and was also going to add a O-ring.
I'm hoping I wont need a tuner. The guy I bought it from took it off the same exact model bike so maybe it will work fine.
What should my afr ratio readings be on 100L?

I dont know where you got those pics from but I have those same exact pics from the guy I bought the kit from! Are you the guy that sold it to me?:face-icon-small-coo

If I could see the wires color on the other side of those connectors in the last pic it would be a huge help! But judging by the color of the connectors and the location they are in, my best guess would be they connect to the ignition coil. I'm also going to try and trace them back in the harness to the source module and figure out what it is in the manual.

S
Jan 28, 2019
Has anyone done a one side radiator delete to better help with temp management? The turbo charge pipe interferes with the left radiator. Can I jut remove it and run only 1 radiator?

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
I am the first original owner of your turbo kit. I did run it for a while with two radiators but you really gotta watch the hose clamp on the charge tube, I had it rub a hole in the radiator. So I ended up deleting that side and adding a tunnel cooler. I still have my homemade cooler that I used on my timbersled if you want to buy it we could talk

S
Jan 28, 2019
I am the first original owner of your turbo kit. I did run it for a while with two radiators but you really gotta watch the hose clamp on the charge tube, I had it rub a hole in the radiator. So I ended up deleting that side and adding a tunnel cooler. I still have my homemade cooler that I used on my timbersled if you want to buy it we could talk

Haha:face-icon-small-ton you sold it to a guy in Spokane Idaho area yeah?
My train of thoughts is- if the radiators have to be blocked off due to losing too much heat, then removing one side should help with the problem. And the one remaining radiator would be more than enough to cool as needed by covering/ uncovering it. I will try to still put in the radiator guards tho to keep those plastic shrouds from flapping in the wind and to cover up that gaping hole lol.

Sure I'm interested in it. Send me a pm

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
I found out that one radiator was not quite enough in spring conditions.

Shoot for 12.5:1 AFR on full boost, but instead of airplane fuel, I recommend 50% mixture of 110 octane with 91 pump. This is what I have been running in turbo YZs for 10 years. I run lower compression with 15 pounds of boost, but that fuel mixture is also good for stock compression with 10-11psi. This all depends on the elevation you ride and how you ride. I ride at 6000-10,000ft

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
IMG_20190331_151040343.jpg.html

S
Jan 28, 2019
I found out that one radiator was not quite enough in spring conditions.

Shoot for 12.5:1 AFR on full boost, but instead of airplane fuel, I recommend 50% mixture of 110 octane with 91 pump. This is what I have been running in turbo YZs for 10 years. I run lower compression with 15 pounds of boost, but that fuel mixture is also good for stock compression with 10-11psi. This all depends on the elevation you ride and how you ride. I ride at 6000-10,000ft

Yes I also found that out this past saturday as it started overheating after some real cliff climbs! Was out on Gallagher hill and lake Anne, this thing pulls like frickin beast!! It really blew me away by how much more power it added!

Few problems though:
1- Sounds like it needs to be tuned after all. when revving in nuetral, at like 1/4-1/3 throttle it cuts out like theres a rev limiter and sounds like its almost misfiring. Under boost though it just hicups a lil in that throttle range.
2- boost gauge was only reading vacuum pressures for some reason??:face-icon-small-con is it a bad sensor?
3-at idle AFR was around 11.8, sorry I wasnt able to get a reading at boost I was too excited and too scared to look down lol.
I also forgot to be looking at my temps and uncover the radiator because I was having to much fun!
4- the BIGGEST PROBLEM is- it died just as we were turning around to go back home :Cry: it sounded like it was running out of fuel, I stopped to refuel, wouldnt start back up even with a good tow. I need to get it up over a hill about 150 yards long. tried towing with a sled and it wouldnt get enough traction on the soft snow.
Any ideas for how to get it out? Im thinking to put a snowboard under the track strap it in and give it a go. It appears that the track makes too much resistance for the sled so a snowboard underneath it should solve the problem.

L
Oct 5, 2016
I have used the snowboard tow trick. It worked ok but I think you could almost lay a bike down in a plastic skiff behind a snowmobile. It was a bit of a rodeo towing with the snowboard.

S
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah Im thinking it would be a better idea to get like 3 or 4 of those foam type boogie boards rig them together and lay the bike down flat on it...

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
maybe a kids swimming pool? a calf sled? ive been in that same boat and got towed about 15km out with no goggles on, a broken/ratcheted front ski from a water crossing with a steep ice wall exit, at 10pm at night, -30c on xmas eve, then through a waist deep river lifting the ski out from under frozen ice chunks on the edge of the river while they pulled it forwards. what a nightmare. thought I was going to freeze to death that night. I will be forever scared of water crossings on my snowbike.

S
Jan 28, 2019
maybe a kids swimming pool? a calf sled? ive been in that same boat and got towed about 15km out with no goggles on, a broken/ratcheted front ski from a water crossing with a steep ice wall exit, at 10pm at night, -30c on xmas eve, then through a waist deep river lifting the ski out from under frozen ice chunks on the edge of the river while they pulled it forwards. what a nightmare. thought I was going to freeze to death that night. I will be forever scared of water crossings on my snowbike.

Im actually going to home depot to get a piece of vinyl flooring roll and use that. Its much thicker than a kids pool and should do the job perfectly!

S
Jan 28, 2019
Anyone have any recomendations for someone who could tune my turbo yamaha snowbike in the tacoma/puyallup washington area?
Will I have to put on the wheel to get that done?

Premium Features