• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 VS 850 Motor - The Truth!

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
To me... if the 850 were a reliability advantage over the 800 the same year 800... I'd say go with the 850... just can't say that in good faith.

I think that Polaris admitting that there was a big problem with the PTO bearing and changing out the bearing to a different one with a snap ring on it for all the 2020 850's is a good step in the right direction... I'll be curious to see if the 2020 850 production sleds knock it out of the park on the second year of production... I see no reason to believe that they won't with all of the production sled feedback from customers and the warranty claims/replacement-engines from this year.... they should be on top of their game.

^ALL OF THIS^
Is why I am gonna wait 1 more season, that and a year of warranty remaining on my 800. It sounds like Polaris has made all the right changes but I would like to hear from some of you guys this time next season, then I lay out $15,000... Prices are too high and the season is too short around here to take a chance. Plus I really like my current sled...

Last edited:
N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Spring snow report. Now at about 550 miles (not the best season for me between low snow locally and new child). Been running like a dream since break in was complete. 163 with 2.6 track, stock. Significantly outclimbed a couple buddies on Doo 850s the other day (154 w/ SLP stage 1/clutched/tmotion delete and stock 165). We might have a new convert or two, one said it felt like cheating on the Polaris, and the only thing holding us back on high marks were talent and cajones. Seemed like it just wanted to keep on climbing the steepest stuff and really kept planted and plugging along compared to BRP. The Doos, with the low torque, ski lift, and t motion, are definitely more playful in some ways.

Last edited:

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I have watched all three 850’s I ride with change plugs at least once Every time I have rode with them. Sometimes twice! Absolutely ridiculous!
I do think that elevation is the factor for us...as most happy owners ride above 5k feet
I’m hoping they get it right this year???

I ride around 500-900 feet . Map is perfect. Still have my extra plug new in box. The break-in mode is alot fatter than what is needed. Helix is for a fan or something it's not for a high horsepower sled. Make it a 52/40 again.

Premium Features