• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled Riot??

T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
Hmm, this raises an interesting point. Though the suspension geometry would be off, how would the old mountain horse skid react to this type of spring combination...poor man's riot?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yooper,
I have a 19 aro 137, do you think if I loosened the spring tension on the rear shock, I could get less ski pressure? I am a snowmobile veteran, and new to the snowbikes.... With a snowmobile if you would loosen up the limiter strap you could wheelie all day, but horrible in deep powder! So I'm trying to figure this out. Would I also loosen up the front spring tension?? So many questions....

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
So true!!!! I can take the rear spring out of a Yeti and have Riot/CMX style performance, but why would I?????

I am a mountain rider and do not want out of control transition, ski lift on high traction climbs. I want presion agility and the ability to thread the needle at will. We ride steep, tight, mountain terrain at high speeds. I do not care for a lot of transition. I want just enough to bring the ski off the ground to jump a creek, but not enough to where I have to move body position and weight on the bike. This is why I have drawn to the Yeti suspension over the years.

could you imagine being seriously worried about looping out a snowbike on a high traction steep, would be counter productive and probably hurt bad haha.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
COW TAG ?

Klim is having a " COW TAG CONTEST" this weekend in Island Park ID, Timbersled is supposed to be there and you could at least look at a Riot, might be able to take a short demo ride on a RIOT. If you enter and ride you might kick butttt on a Riot or be passed by a demo RIOT .

This is just across the hill from the YELLOWSTONE EXPO..... same dates. No promises that a RIOT would be at expo.

Not that far from my house, used to go there to sled off and on for 40 years, can be a riot, can be super wooooped out trails to the big riding areas ?

Big thumbs us to WEST YELLOWSTONE for putting on the expo the last 35 years or so. BOOOOO to the hundreds of aftermarket companies that used to be there when they needed the business but have drifted off. Always tufff going head to head with your competition. Thumbs up to ADRENALINE AND CMX and MOTO for being there with demo bikes when the other guys stayed home to golf and let the spring orders roll in.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Spent the morning on the 2020 Timbersled Product. Because this thread is lengthy if you have specific questions send me a PM. I will keep it short and sweet. The RIOT is the best all around Timbersled kit to date. It will climb and cut through the snow in the trees somewhere between the 120 and 129 depending on conditions. I thought it was a flat lander setup designed to drive around meadows popping wheelies.....it is not. I am going to go back and forth a few more times, but I am pretty sure that is my kit for next season for backcountry slaying.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I think this suspension on the Riot has a lot of potential as a deep snow skid. Back in the 4 stroke turbo sled hay days we put quite a few EZ Rydes on turbo Nytros, which is basically the same concept as the Riot skid. They worked quite well in the deep but the big difference between the two is the EZ Ryde lays almost flat in the sled so no approach angle at all. I think where the Riot is going to fall on its face is starting off, its going to want to trench. Maybe if the front shock is set to full soft it will climb up this remains to be seen. Riding this is going to be all about carrying speed and flow, just like the Yeti SS, its not your poke around and explore kit.

There's a lot about this kit that has me thinking. I cant see it being my deep snow ride but in 6 to 18 inches its probably going to be pretty fun. I would opt for the clicker shocks for sure so you have that lock out capability. The 4 year warranty on paper looks great but my past TS warranty experiences were not great so I'm not convinced that's worth anything. I don't see a lot of point in adding a TSS to this system.

Watching the vids you can see guys feet coming off the pegs in wheelies which makes me think it will want to come over backwards even on short little climbs. You might find yourself standing quite a bit more when riding, which sucks in the thick trees we ride in.

So many questions, sure be nice to try before you buy.

M5

If you set the shocks on lock for the rear and 1 for the front it is about like any 120-129 inch kit. It will come up but does not want to come up too high like you would think. It shines in deep snow!

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I would PM you but I’m sure there are many of us who want to know.
How deep? What kind of snow? Steep? What was the base like underneath the snow? Were you riding with any aros?
Were you riding around Drictor or over in Island Park? Looks like it got kind of warm in both places.
Appreciate your review. I’m headed to the cow tag but it doesn’t seem like conditions are going to be all that good for testing. Wish I could’ve rode one in the Wasatch yesterday. Unbelievable here right now.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I would PM you but I’m sure there are many of us who want to know.
How deep? What kind of snow? Steep? What was the base like underneath the snow? Were you riding with any aros?
Were you riding around Drictor or over in Island Park? Looks like it got kind of warm in both places.
Appreciate your review. I’m headed to the cow tag but it doesn’t seem like conditions are going to be all that good for testing. Wish I could’ve rode one in the Wasatch yesterday. Unbelievable here right now.

We rode a good mix from groomed trail to deep powder. You hooked up good because the has a good base underneath. Steep yes. Some areas were at least crotch deep powder. Yes, we had Mountain Horse, ARO, and Riot kits.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Awesome. Thanks! Sorry I accidentally gave you a thumbs down I think and I don’t know how to remove it

H
Jan 12, 2016
I have a mototrax with a tss shock 3"120 custom track with external drivers,Timbersled aro ski. I love it for wheeling and playful feel.When I want to do big hillclimes I put a limiter strap from the middle of the monoshock to the front of the rails,this keeps the aproch angle from becoming to steep,makes it develop more track speed and Climb.Also if the snow is over 2 feet of fresh I'll use the strap.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
so..........who rode dat

must be somebody else with a road report by now?

I went by the cow tag even on Fri but couldn't find a new TS to look at or ride?
TS might have showed later, and someone had to take a ride?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
must be somebody else with a road report by now?

I went by the cow tag even on Fri but couldn't find a new TS to look at or ride?
TS might have showed later, and someone had to take a ride?

They did demos on Friday. They had four riots, a 129 3 inch, and a 129 2 1/2 inch LE. They did half an hour timeslots. Me and for other buddies all swapped back-and-forth. Of course the terrain and conditions werenothing spectacular, but there were a few obstacles to play on. The Riot is definitely a ton of fun! Set the clickers to wheelie andthe front and feels pretty light, but definitely does not come up unnecessarily. You have to pull up or hit a bump and pull up or start from a stop and pull up. On hard pack it would probably be a lot easier to wheelie. The snow was pretty soft. With the clickers set on the firm setting, it felt just like an aro 120 to me. I am definitely considering it for my mountain sled. My dealer said he’s going to have one here in Salt Lake. Hopefully I can ride it when we get another big storm.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I also rode the 3 inch. It hooked up real well and felt nimble just like the 2 1/2 inch. I didn’t ride very long. Right away I wanted to hop back on the Riot.

Premium Features