• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat seems slow

M
Feb 19, 2019
Hey guys. I recently picked up a 2012 m8 and it has a pile of work done. Extended tunnel,174x3 track ,ice age rails. Over sized drivers. Team clutch,geared down, bikeman pipe and can,power commander tuned by bikeman performance 75hp shot of laughing gas and a crap ton more lol. My question is: is it because I’m running a 174x3 and geared down and clutched for 6000ft that my sled seems slower than any other 800 at about 2600ft? Without using nitrous It just does not seem to pull like I thought it should be. And bikeman performance is claiming 180hp all motor after their fine tuning!!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
8T drivers? 19/50 Gearing? Stock track shaft location?

If it's geared that low at 2600' you're not loading the engine enough to take advantage of the power. If your driveshaft is in the stock location with 8T drivers and 3" paddles you may be experiencing resistance from packing at the front of the tunnel if you have deep, heavy snow. Also, the team secondary clutches don't seem to like to shift out as far as the 2012-2015 stock ones do.

M
Feb 19, 2019
Ok cool. I was told from the guy I bought it from it was built to climb. And that the stock 800s that I’m losing to down here, I’d out climb all day long in the mountains. I pretty new to this. Just trying to figure out y I’m getting spanked so badly by other 800s lol

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
It’s slow cuz your stuck in first gear.
HP means nothing if it can’t shift up.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Ok cool. I was told from the guy I bought it from it was built to climb. And that the stock 800s that I’m losing to down here, I’d out climb all day long in the mountains. I pretty new to this. Just trying to figure out y I’m getting spanked so badly by other 800s lol

If you want a good trail set-up for drag racing, you run a lose secondary that barely backshifts, but will when you let off for a second. A mountain clutch set-up will have a tight secondary which backshifts under full throttle and maintains the Rs on long pulls. Plus, your sled is set-up to do that at 6000 feet. The low elevation stuff throws the equation off even more. Then add a 3" track (lots of resistance as higher speed) and you will not pull a 800 on a drag race. Go to the mountains and report back.

Premium Features