• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 Formula S 380 for my 8 year old

About a month and a half ago I surprised my son when he turned 8, here are his friends that were there for his party. My son is the one with the sh!t eating grin holding onto the handlebars. Now I have my very own riding buddy!! I hope this isn't too much sled for him, should be good til he's 10 or 11. Its a pristine 1996 Formula S 380 with a 121 short lug track, only 1100 miles. I think it might be a fun little sled for ME to ride too LOL :eyebrows:. We haven't ridden it yet, but with these early Colorado snows, I plan to next week.

I have it sitting on my 2 place next to my "new" 2010 Summit XP Everest 146. I just bought that after selling my 2007 XRS 800 159. I wanted a shorter track since he and I will be trailbound for a couple years. Depending on how strong that thing runs I might put a 121x1 paddle track on it and start to get him off trail.

pE2sPbpG9CZWjmFLtzGzjRUJTGj897LZxuKMNrEwo30

Last edited:

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Trail?

Put on the taller and/or longer track. Gear it down. Go off trail. The mind you blow will be your own. You have about 8 years of riding superiority left. Enjoy it while it lasts!

First Ride done. Repairs and Mods needed already

Eddy, I was thinking the same thing! First I wanted to see how this little sled ran at 9000'. We took our sleds out yesterday near Breckenridge, and had a blast! That 380cc is a willing eager motor. I took it for a spin and it's snappy and fun, but with 185# me on there 40 mph is all I could muster, WAY more than enough for him now. I got it in a little powder and even with 3/4" lugs it swims and floats ok with some momentum going.

The biggest drawback I saw right away was with these antique, heavy, narrow, metal skis. I figured if I do start to turn this into a little Boondocker then the skis are first. Well, about 2 hours into our ride, my son fast forwarded these plans. I was heading up a well packed, familiar trail to me, but it was off camber a bit. Riding my "new" Summit XP 146 it was little effort. But at one point his 70# couldn't keep that 350# sled on the trail and CRASH!!!! He smacked a tree good. I didn't see it, I was just up ahead. I have a wrist mirro r that I was checking about every 15 seconds and I knew something stopped him. I stopped, and instantly heard him crying out. Not good, dad's worst nightmare. I went back there and he was on the ground, sled on it's side. I checked him out and he bruised a few things, and that helmet I bought for him paid off. He bruised his knee, nearly sprained a wrist, and bumped his head and chin pretty good. I think his ego was bruised the most. He was instantly worried about the sled but I didn't give a sh!t about that, I was just glad he was OK!! It was my fault, he looked so comfortable on it I was going a bit too fast at 20-25mph and he was trying his darned-est to keep up. I forgot how LOUSY those old model S-chassis sleds are at sidehilling, especially when you're 8, only 70# and little experience. My bad! :face-icon-small-sad

He must have hit that tree HARD! The trail was off camber to the right, so I'm pretty sure as he pushed on the right handle to go left he grabbed a fistful of throttle, but again I didn't see it. All I know is that the metal ski on the right was curled up and bent in HALF, actually tucked up under the cowling. Bumper broken, some of the stamped steel cowling/hood support pieces broken, trailing arm pushed back a bit. The trailing arm that came with it was an aftermarket one vs. the stock one on the left side, so I think this isn't the first time this has happened to this sled. Other than that, not too bad, hood not scratched, frame looks straight. I got it put back together enough to ride out and it was all the little guy could do to keep it at 5mph to get it to the trailer, tough little dude! Once at the truck I found a tree in the parking lot and with some tow straps I did some homemade straightening, and got the trailing arm where it should be.

I already have most of the pieces ordered on Ebay. I was hoping to find someone's take-off plastic skis somewhere on Craigslist here, but nothing available. There are a set of Camplast plastic skis, hardware and carbides on Ebay for $209. Seems like the best option. I'm also keeping an eye out for a 121x15 x 1.25-1.5" track. Probably need to get him back on the horse sooner that later and put a few more miles on some easy trails to boost his confidence. Then in the offseason swap out those tracks. I don't think going to a 136" would be necessary as he's so light, but gearing down would be smart. Probably need a handlebar riser, hopefully the cables will stretch 2-3".

Should I do all this, or just upgrade to like a 550 fan Summit next year? I totally agree with you, I have probably less than 8 years until he's riding circles around me!! He already skis about as well as I can...

Here is a pic of him on the machine about an hour before the tree jumped out.

teQulBztOEc5Nfe9WGtHVXxmZgte4Mh9GUalFVRafPQ

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Fix or Replace?

Fix it with him helping and inspecting. Show him everything you are doing in detail. Don't worry if he is not understanding everything - Lots of patience. Encourage questions. The game is the teacher!
This is a life changing experience for your son and builds self confidence. Surprising how they crash less once they ball it up and realize that crashing sucks - And then you have to fix it! If it just gets replaced the kids get the wrong message.

Premium Features