• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP...Ski Doo 670 problems!!!

P
Dec 25, 2007
I was wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions or advice.

We took out our 1997 Ski Doo Summit 670 a few weeks ago, and less than 2 miles down the trail it died and would NOT start. We towed it back to the trailer and hauled it home. I tore the carbs apart and cleaned everything up. Once back together, I finally got it started and it idled for about 15 minutes. Seemed to be OK. We rode it around the yard a little Saturday (Buddy thought it was knocking a little??), and loaded it on the trailer. Once we got to the trails, same thing!!! One mile down the trail, it died, and would not start. Towed back to the trailer, and here we sit.

Sorry for the long story.

Any advice on what to look for???

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Im stumped... You can atleast put some iso-heat inthe fuel tank to start with, that will keep your carbs from freezing. Then... Hmmmm........ To trouble shoot, buy new spark plugs and spark plug caps. plugs and caps should be less than $20. I think when the sled gets warm, the plug caps can get f'd, not sure. Im not much help, but do ride a 99 670 so im feelin ya :(. Hope you get more help. It might be the coil or something to do with the ignition... Ahh, the stator is what its called. Check that out.

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Did your sled lose spark when it died? We need to know that first.

P
Dec 25, 2007
Additional Info

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it would have been an "icing" issue, it really hasn't been that cold either time. We have spark at all times, and have tried many different spark plugs. Originally we thought it was overly flooded, but yet the spark plugs are completely dry when we pull them.

Any more ideas???

Thanks in advance.

W
Apr 6, 2006
Eastern Washington
All you need is spark, fuel, & air. If you have spark then that rules out all the electrical BS. Check compression (easier than pulling head). More than likely its fuel related. Maybe a bad fuel pump, plugged tank breather, or restriction in fuel line. Good luck!

P
Dec 25, 2007
I am leaning towards it being some type of fuel issue. Maybe bad gas??? When I had the carbs off, i turned on the fuel "shut-off" valve, and drained some gas out of the lines, so I don't think there is any blockage from the tank. Kind of a frustrating mystery right now.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
All you need is spark, fuel, & air. If you have spark then that rules out all the electrical BS. Check compression (easier than pulling head). More than likely its fuel related. Maybe a bad fuel pump, plugged tank breather, or restriction in fuel line. Good luck!

Very close--with saprak goes timing. Check the PU on the flywheel/ The pu bracket. Then go to the fuel. If you think that is it (Fuel) empty the carb bowls and the tank and put in all new fuel and go from there.

H20SKE...

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Check the compression. Change plugs.

Does it have fresh fuel? If not, drain tank and add fresh. If you have to do that, remove carbs and clean them to remove the crap that bad gas turns into.

D
Nov 7, 2008
Check your comprestion because the sled wont run if it is too low.Be sure to check it warm if it will run long enough to warm up.If not do it cold and you should have at least 125lbs cold.You lose some compresion when it warms up.This is what i think could be happening, it is warming up and the compresion is too low to run.

Premium Features