• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: SKINZ Under the Tunnel Nytro Exhaust Kit (Review Now Posted)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
With all the rivets in place.
picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
While I expect the Under The Tunnel Conversion to work just fine, when all was said and done, this plate is NOT a perfect fit on my 2010 Nytro 162 SE.

Its CLOSE, but NOT perfect.

When the plate is first laid on the exhaust there is a natural position that it wants to be in based on the hight of the plate at the ridge line, and the rubber gromet on the exhaust mount. While you can slide it forward and backward, the plate really only fits in one spot. On my sled, I WANTED the plate to go forward a good inch so that the rear end of the plate would sit forward of the rear tunnel section so the back of the plate would lie flush with the tunnel.

As it is, there is a very clear gap all the way around the plate. And, as you can see from the photos, the plate is just a bit too wide, so that it ends up resting on top of two different rivets in the rear.

picture.php

picture.php

Now, for all I know this is intentional so that the underside of the plate doesn't fill up with mud or debris?? Honestly I don't know, but there is an 8th of an inch gap all the way around this thing.

When I was finished installing it, I was concerned enough about this that I went back and DRILLED OUT ALL THE RIVETS and removed the plate, and looked to see if there was any way to reposition the main exhaust hanger bolt so I could fix this gap. But the width of the plate stops me no matter how far forward or aft I moved it. the plate is just a little too wide at the tail end, and the rise at the ridge is just a little too low to let me move the plate forward.

I will be talking to Skinz about this and asking for their comments this week.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The moment of truth just arrived.
After MONTHS of working on my sled we got the suspension back in place tonight and I was able to fire up the engine.

I AM IN LOVE!

The sound of this new exhaust is MUSIC TO MY EARS!

I am giving the Skinz Super-Q muffler a TWO THUMBS UP.

I LOVE THE SOUND IT MAKES!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FIRST RIDE REVIEW.

Took the sled out yesterday for the first ride, but I failed to take any pictures, and some images ARE important on this.

#1.
The sound of this new exhaust was music to my ears.
I just loved it.
And those that were out riding with us had similar feelings.
It has a nice deep throaty sound, much more like a 4 stroke engine should sound!!

The only concern that I had going into this was heat.
I was worried that the heat from the muffler might pass through the protective plate and burn the powdercoating or the under the seat bag.

I am happy to report NEITHER HAPPENED!
The heat shielding that Skinz installed under the cover plate worked perfectly.
There is NO sigh of any excess heat buildup on the powdercoating at all!

But there were some interesting side effects.

#2.
Most of the underside of the tunnel was SNOW FREE.
And this is something I will get some photos of on my next ride.
The extra heat that is being retained by placing the exhaust in the tunnel is working to melt all the snow, or at least most of it from the tip of the exhaust forward to the engine.

#3.
There was some real steam coming out from under the seat!
While not significant, it was noticeable.
The heat from the exhaust WAS keeping the snow off my tunnel as you can see from the right side of this image. But as you look to the left you can see snow on the sides of the under seat bag showing that the temps were NOT high enough to melt the show on the sides of the protective cover plate.

As noted earlier in this article, my plate does NOT have a tight seal around the bottom, and this is where the stream was coming through from.

You might wonder WHY I even mention this?
Because I sat my goggles down on the seat and they got fogged from the steam! Minor thing, but it made me laugh at myself at the time.

picture.php

#4.
This is NOT YET CONFIRMED!
But it appears that the exhaust muffler MIGHT be melting a significant amount of snow and generating liquid water that is collecting on my upper track support wheels and causing them to ice up.

I installed a set of OFT Billet Aluminum Wheels, and throughout the day they seemed be covered in ice.
Right now I am not certain WHY the ice was forming, or WHERE the water was coming from that formed it. But I am thinking it the Exhaust MIGHT be a contributor.
On my next ride I will pay close attention to this and see if I can figure out whats happening.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The last ride I went on Saturday, there was no buildup to speak of.
I am guessing this MIGHT be somewhat related to the outside temp as well as the exhaust.

Might have to be just the right air temp to cause the buildup.

Right now I just don't have enough rides on the sled to know for sure yet.

S
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian, Idaho
The last ride I went on Saturday, there was no buildup to speak of.
I am guessing this MIGHT be somewhat related to the outside temp as well as the exhaust.

Might have to be just the right air temp to cause the buildup.

Right now I just don't have enough rides on the sled to know for sure yet.

I am very interested in what you find out as well.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
That is a problem with the under tunnel exhaust, the work-sleds have the under tunnel stock and Ice up the whole skid to the point that wheels freeze up if you ride slow.

Over the top is the way to go If you want to avoid this.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Didn't show itself to be a problem this last weekend, but I won't know for sure till I have MORE rides on it in different weather conditions.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A blast from the past.
My son has decided its his turn to start modding his Nytro this year.

second item on his list will be a new Skinz Under the Tunnel exhaust system!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Check on the Skinz site, but I think that was the original plan when the created it. Just check their page.

Premium Features