• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery warning on non Electric start

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
When my sled is warming up/just started I'm getting a battery icon on my gauge. All that's in the owner's manual is a mention of the battery charging system being low. So is this showing up as basically just a low voltage warning.

Reving the sled up makes it go away but is this beginning of a stator issue? 2016 LTD if that matters.

Last edited:

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I know on a poo when battery charge gauge is low it’s usually an indication the capacitor or volt reg is bad. Don’t know anything bout these cat motors but I’d imagine they’d have a capacitor on them somewhere. First pull charges capacitor energizing fuel pump, second pull fires it up.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Following, mine does this and intermittently wont fire fuel pump. Changed Stator and no difference. I don't think there is a capacitor but maybe regulator bad.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Following, mine does this and intermittently wont fire fuel pump. Changed Stator and no difference. I don't think there is a capacitor but maybe regulator bad.

You running a tether by any chance?

I am FWIW. Just trying to think of potential bad connections somewhere.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've got next stage gauge reflash so I can check running voltage.

What should the system be at, at idle and revved?

Anybody know?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My battery symbol comes on when i start my 14, did that since i had the gauge flashed.
Its similar to a car. 14.x volts at rpm and high 12s to mid 13 at idle

Alpha ......

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It's funny because I don't remember ever seeing the battery icon before the reflash either.

Neither does someone else who got in touch with me through PMs.

edit: just checked
Idles at about 13.9-14.0v. Revs lightly to 14.3-14.5v
Seems legit.

No batter icon incidently. Wonder if it's a cold outside/temp thing.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Just got back from one the deepest days I've ever taken a sled out in.

After running hard (and getting wet) my voltage was dropping down into the 9s at idle. It doesn't do this dry. Starting to wonder if water is shorting something.

I know the ground that's on the exhaust side going into the frame. That's sound. Is there another harness ground somewhere?

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014

After running hard (and getting wet) my voltage was dropping down into the 9s at idle. It doesn't do this dry. Starting to wonder if water is shorting something.

I know the ground that's on the exhaust side going into the frame. That's sound. Is there another harness ground somewhere?

You had your plugs to the gauge apart a lot? They have dielectric grease from the factory, unplugging and plugging them back together tends to pull the grease out so you might be getting moisture in there. Also I seem to remember there is a seal on the wires going into the stator, maybe it is out of position?

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014

There's one behind the recoil that goes into block on the front side, unless that's the one you're referring to. It's the stator ground. Checking the stator is pretty simple can post up the manual pages if needed. Does it run good all the time? If so, I doubt it's the stator. More likely the regulator or wiring issue as you mentioned.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
There's one behind the recoil that goes into block on the front side, unless that's the one you're referring to. It's the stator ground. Checking the stator is pretty simple can post up the manual pages if needed. Does it run good all the time? If so, I doubt it's the stator. More likely the regulator or wiring issue as you mentioned.

The one I'm talking about bolts into the a-frame. It's right where the chaincase is also bolted. I'd call it more above than behind the recoil. It runs fine it's just like it needs to stay revved. Both starting and idling once it's been out in conditions like this.

I regreased my ecu plugs not too long ago. I'll check the hood harness connection as well. I have had it off a lot lately.

But yeah it was one of those whiteroom days staying pinned just to stay afloat on a flat road. So deep and snow all up in there.

Eldo: I'm driving up there next weekend. If you like fun. I plan to have lots.

Premium Features