• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DET error code and in to limp mode

A

allpowersports

I have a problem on my RMK ASSAULT it have 6,5h on it now, it all started after 2,4h. I ride from sea level up to 3500ft in Norway and its bone stock. When I start driving up the hill first ride of the day and passing 1000ft it goes in to limp mode with det code on the display. It happens 3-4 times and then runs like a charm until I goes below 1000ft and heads up the hill again, then det code and in to limp again but only 1 or 2 times. As for fuel I run non ethanol European 98 oct, its equal to us non ethanol premium. I ride in Norway so I don't know if we have a different mapping compare to us models. Any one else that have encounterd this? Ya and the low oil lamp also fu#ks with me after drops/ jumps even with full oil.
I have checked the ECU plug, any ideas?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My first guess was bad fuel. And that could still be the issue. I use Stabil marine fuel treatment to help offset the ethanol and remove water. How is 98 Euro octane any different that 98 any other country octane? Drain the fuel and try premium fuel from somewhere else. You are very low (and the ECM will run lean). Maybe you will have to run a fuel controller. I'm not sure of any different euro mapping either. I doubt Polaris did much testing for the map setup to run in Norway.

Or...maybe it's because you ride it like a rental!

A

allpowersports

Fuel

My first guess was bad fuel. And that could still be the issue. I use Stabil marine fuel treatment to help offset the ethanol and remove water. How is 98 Euro octane any different that 98 any other country octane? Drain the fuel and try premium fuel from somewhere else. You are very low (and the ECM will run lean). Maybe you will have to run a fuel controller. I'm not sure of any different euro mapping either. I doubt Polaris did much testing for the map setup to run in Norway.

Or...maybe it's because you ride it like a rental!

European fuel are RON rating 98 oct is equal to US Aki 93 oct.
I have tried fuel from different stations and brands and still DET and in to limp mode. I have been running my old M7 piped on 220 psi nitrous, 4° offsets on the ignition same brands of fuel and no DET on 3 years. But I did run it with a BD box.
I'm quite sure that the European D 8 had a different map than the US, sleds sold in Europe don't need to comply to EPA regulations.
I'm not sure if it's a different map in Euro version of the sled, but If it is I'm sure it's not been put in the same RD time in the map as in the US.
Hopefully it's not due to my rental driving style : )

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
There`s not different map for european models. They was toggelig a bit whit that on the older D8, but that was just some dealers that had a few units to test whit a special program made for EU. Don`t think it solved any of the issues we was seeing here anyway.

Using the 10% ethanol resistor brings you down 5-6 hp.

And to those who are suggestion better fuel, mix whit race etc. This is a bone stock sled. It`s dealers problem to fix it. Racefuel over here cost 10 times what you pay in the US.
Customer should be able to fill his sled at a normal gas station whit the recommended fuel, pull the rope and go.

Hope cleaning the valves sorted out your problem.

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Quote:Customer should be able to fill his sled at a normal gas station whit the recommended fuel, pull the rope and go.

100% AGREE!!!!

P
Jan 17, 2010
Hazen, ND
I had this happen to me twice in the states. both times I filled with 91 octane and with correct resistor in. I believe I had a little moisture in the gas tank and it was enough to set it off. It won't reset until you actually shut your sled off for a few seconds then restart it. Both times it happened it was with Cenex fuel, with Tesoro I have had zero problems. A little gas treatment in the tank if i have to fill at a Cenex and I have no problems. Up in Cooke City over New years a bunch of Doos were having a similar problem, they didnt have a DET that came in but the sleds seemed to be miss firing alot! both summits I rode with and 3 other people I talked to had problems. All the poos ran fantastic though :face-icon-small-coo

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
At 34 miles on my sled I got a det code on dash and I couldnt go above 6000 rpms. I shut sled off restarted and it went away for the rest of the day. I'm still on break in tank with ethanol resistor 93 premium and premixed in tank. Any reason why this happened?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I had this happen to me twice in the states. both times I filled with 91 octane and with correct resistor in. I believe I had a little moisture in the gas tank and it was enough to set it off. It won't reset until you actually shut your sled off for a few seconds then restart it. Both times it happened it was with Cenex fuel, with Tesoro I have had zero problems. A little gas treatment in the tank if i have to fill at a Cenex and I have no problems. Up in Cooke City over New years a bunch of Doos were having a similar problem, they didnt have a DET that came in but the sleds seemed to be miss firing alot! both summits I rode with and 3 other people I talked to had problems. All the poos ran fantastic though :face-icon-small-coo

I do believe that all Cenex fuel has 10% ethanol in it, so does BP. EPA has seen to it that all our fuel will be messed up, now they are pushing for 15%! Running at low elevations maybe a smaller plug gap or a cooler plug would help.

A

allpowersports

Exaust valves

At 34 miles on my sled I got a det code on dash and I couldnt go above 6000 rpms. I shut sled off restarted and it went away for the rest of the day. I'm still on break in tank with ethanol resistor 93 premium and premixed in tank. Any reason why this happened?

It started the same on my sled, opening and cleaning the exhaust valves did the trick on my sled.
Dealers tech told me that on some sleds it can build up some on the valves due to break in oil, witch make the valve movement slower / restricted building more heat that leads to det.
Hope you gets your problem sorted.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
It started the same on my sled, opening and cleaning the exhaust valves did the trick on my sled.
Dealers tech told me that on some sleds it can build up some on the valves due to break in oil, witch make the valve movement slower / restricted building more heat that leads to det.
Hope you gets your problem sorted.

SO did you clean your exhaust valves then? If so how did you remove the clutch side valve? How nasty were your exhaust valves?

A

allpowersports

I dropped it of at the dealership for having it fixed :)
It's a brand new 26k sled, I should not have a DET problem due to sticky exhaust valves after 2,4 h. I have a good dealer less than 15min away from home, he just asked me to drop it of there and they cleaned them, and I haven't had any problems after that.
I know that the valve behind the steering post is a pita to clean.

Premium Features