• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 axys 800 163 clunking noise

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
Hey all,

Just recently purchased a used 2018 axys 800 163 (250 miles on sled) and took it out on the first trip this past weekend. Sled ran flawlessly and never missed a beat. Can’t believe how it made my old 800 pro feel like a 600.

There is one thing both i and a friend who rode my sled noticed. When going down hill and coasting it makes a loud clunking noise. (Almost like there is something under the hood that wants to fly apart) I have never heard this b4 on my last sled. If you apply breaks or give it gas to engage the clutches it does not make the noise. Is this normal? I figured i would ask here first before calling the dealership incase its nothing to worry about.

TIA for the help.

Xc_rider08

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Check track tension (track can hit tunnel in that situation). Also, could have been ice build up in the tunnel or a chunk of ice in the bulkhead making that noise.

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
Check track tension (track can hit tunnel in that situation). Also, could have been ice build up in the tunnel or a chunk of ice in the bulkhead making that noise.

Thanks for the reply!

It did it all 3 days of riding. Each day the sled was melted out at the end of the day. Track doesnt ratchet at all when getting on it or under load, curious as to why it would do it when coasting down hill? Noise was only made going down hills.

I will check track tension when i get home to be 100% sure that its within spec.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Thanks for the reply!

It did it all 3 days of riding. Each day the sled was melted out at the end of the day. Track doesn't ratchet at all when getting on it or under load, curious as to why it would do it when coasting down hill? Noise was only made going down hills.

I will check track tension when i get home to be 100% sure that its within spec.

Too loose of track will ratchet on downhill descents engine breaking, but not under load climbing. I've had that issue on mine. Polaris Spec is very tight, and there is not much room for interpretation there before you have issues.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
On a Polaris the helix will clunk fairly often. I found it seems to be increased when the belt gets thinned out. I am not 100% sure but I think it is when the belt stops suddenly and is trapped down in the secondary more than if you rolled gently to a stop.

Premium Features