• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trouble getting on edge

C
Feb 27, 2018
My first RMK. 2019 155 850. Love the sled but I’m have trouble getting the sled on edge easily. My last three sleds where freerides and didn’t have any issues. I know these sleds are totally different but my rmk feels to planted. Is this a suspension adjustment issue or rider? Haha. I by no means am a great rider but like I said before my freeride was a lot easier. I’m 165 pounds geared up. Have my sled on the narrow stance. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
My first RMK. 2019 155 850. Love the sled but I’m have trouble getting the sled on edge easily. My last three sleds where freerides and didn’t have any issues. I know these sleds are totally different but my rmk feels to planted. Is this a suspension adjustment issue or rider? Haha. I by no means am a great rider but like I said before my freeride was a lot easier. I’m 165 pounds geared up. Have my sled on the narrow stance. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The doo chassis is a bit 'rolly polly' and it is probably one of its more postive things is ease of initiation of moves. Thats where the benefits end for me thought.

As for the axys chassis I find a little extra preload on the ski shocks helps me a ton. Yes they are stiffer but they hold the sled taller and make it roll onto its side a little easier, especially on the narrow react front end. This and then putting weight a little farther back on the boards. The factory setup with mushy front shocks makes the sled lean a little and then flop back to center without a fairly large amount of force.

This setup and weight position rolls more of the weight back onto the track which means your trying to roll less of the sleds weight on the 40" overall width of the front end and now working with the 15" track. Quick shift of the hips, snap of the throttle and now the sled should follow suit in pretty much any snow.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
A little bit of counter steer and foot pressure on the edge of the running go a long ways as well. Finesse goes a long way.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It's a skidoo thing. You never learned to counter steer because it doesn't work on a skidoo. Instead of just leaning over and yanking with the skis straight like you're used to, like redrevx said, countersteer to initiate. It will become second nature. Axys chassis with a 36" front end is cake. You just have to get used to polaris steering and wash that skidoo off. :face-icon-small-win

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada

Thanks
the planted feels makes a RMK what it is. In lower snow condition the rmk will need more input to get on edge than a BRP.

getting on edge is all about throttle/weigh transfer/counter steer. The mix of these 3 ingredients will vary depending of snow condition

Last edited:

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Does adding preload to front, track shock help in firmer setup snow?

Read some threads that mention it adds flickability.

Thanks,

Kale

C
Feb 27, 2018
The doo chassis is a bit 'rolly polly' and it is probably one of its more postive things is ease of initiation of moves. Thats where the benefits end for me thought.

As for the axys chassis I find a little extra preload on the ski shocks helps me a ton. Yes they are stiffer but they hold the sled taller and make it roll onto its side a little easier, especially on the narrow react front end. This and then putting weight a little farther back on the boards. The factory setup with mushy front shocks makes the sled lean a little and then flop back to center without a fairly large amount of force.

This setup and weight position rolls more of the weight back onto the track which means your trying to roll less of the sleds weight on the 40" overall width of the front end and now working with the 15" track. Quick shift of the hips, snap of the throttle and now the sled should follow suit in pretty much any snow.

How much extra preload did you find helpful? Shorten the springs 1/4”, 1/2”?
Thanks

S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta
I was hating my 18 174 for this reason and am still tuning suspension to make it tip up easier. I have turned up spring preload on both track shocks and increased clickers to very stiff and it’s better. I’m about 80% of the threads right on the rear shock and 70% on the front shock. Seems better. I put back shock pressure to make it turn on trails better. More ski pressure.

T
Nov 11, 2008
Personally I don't like a lot of pre load on the ski shocks, it makes the sled feel more planted. I prefer to load the front track shock a lot more, it creates a pivot point.

I like to be able to ride down the trail and whip my bars back and forth and not have them have a lot of resistance because the front track shock is supporting the bulk of the front load, the rear shock I adjust to control the transfer. This is on just about any length sled.

My buddies on his 174 loads his center shock even more so than I do and when I jumped on it to load it on my sled deck I was surprised how much more it was but his 174 is as playful as any 163. You would never know its a 174 on a deep day with how it responds.

Now that the sled has a lot of center load, its a quick blip of the throttle, a slightly counter steer depending on the angle of the slope, some times none is required and the sled is on edge. This is a reason I prefer a 2.6" track over a 3" as well, the track can slip more and not hook up and initiate onto its side quicker.

The Axys like the Pro ride is a very rigid chassis unlike the Skidoo and works very well with a stiff shock set up depending on how you ride and the set up you prefer.

Premium Features