• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tail light/brake light?

R
Nov 20, 2009
Tail light works, but the brake don't? Bulbs are good checked wires appear ok and tested from plug to sockets. I have the shop book but go figure nothing in there about the brake switch. Any hep would be great!
Thanx!

S

slowfusion

Nov 13, 2008
Sodus Point NY.
Tail light works, but the brake don't? Bulbs are good checked wires appear ok and tested from plug to sockets. I have the shop book but go figure nothing in there about the brake switch. Any hep would be great!
Thanx!

TYPICAL all fusions, sockets/pigtails suck, I took pin and spead connections and put electric grease on all connections, worked on mine but still loose one side or other running lamp here and there.(especialy on long wet days) Regrease that connection and fixed for short period, again.

Last edited:
R
Nov 20, 2009
did that, I think the switch on the bars is bad, it says open on a olhm meter all the time, not sure if that's it or not, but I will find it! 60 bucks for new switch on the bars.:face-icon-small-fro
Thanx.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
did that, I think the switch on the bars is bad, it says open on a olhm meter all the time, not sure if that's it or not, but I will find it! 60 bucks for new switch on the bars.:face-icon-small-fro
Thanx.

Do you have a part #? I think mine is bad at the switch also.

R
Nov 20, 2009
Do you have a part #? I think mine is bad at the switch also.
No but I will have it by sat. I went up north Michigan for a day ride with 3 buddies and I followed so not get slamed, put 163 mile on today, drove 4.5 hrs. north of Detroit and groomed state trail we were! I'll post up, I have 2 wires going to that switch. I unpluged and set a meter on it and it's always open, the service book says nothing on it. But pretty sure it needs to be closed to work the brake light, running lights and ok tho'.
BTW, I call my dealer and they said it was around 60 bucks, but I didn't get the #, mine is a 05' 900

R
Nov 20, 2009
Have you tried bypassing the switch? Open at all times should not work you should have continuity through switch when closed.
In the morning that's what I planned on doin' is jumpin' it with a jumper wire. But like I said I went riding today and that was WAY more important! LOL!:D

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
No but I will have it by sat. I went up north Michigan for a day ride with 3 buddies and I followed so not get slamed, put 163 mile on today, drove 4.5 hrs. north of Detroit and groomed state trail we were! I'll post up, I have 2 wires going to that switch. I unpluged and set a meter on it and it's always open, the service book says nothing on it. But pretty sure it needs to be closed to work the brake light, running lights and ok tho'.
BTW, I call my dealer and they said it was around 60 bucks, but I didn't get the #, mine is a 05' 900

You are correct, it should go to 0 ohms when the brake lever is pulled. Shorting the 2 wires together is the perfect way to verify the rest of the circuit is working correctly.

R
Nov 20, 2009
switch is bad, I jumped the wires at the olug on the bars and the friggin' brake light came on....
i.e. switch closes the circut and now it don't/ means $$ for me I'm just thrilled! oh well it could be alot worse!
Just a FYI for checkin' the brake light quik!

Premium Features