• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha in less than ideal snow conditions?

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Hey guys, just wondering how has the track and single rail been holding up in lower snow conditions? Say a guy wants to make a couple trips to the cabin during the season which would involve a bit of trail riding. Obviously everyone has to ride a bit of trail to get to their riding areas but is anyone having issues with the tracks, hyfax or clips?
Thanks.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I don't ride a lot of trails, only 3-5 miles sometimes on rides in. but seems like longer trails in I seem to over heat sometimes. I have 800 miles on my alpha now and my track and hyrax wear are as good as any other cat Ive owned.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
I'll run 10-12 miles on trails to access the riding areas sometimes and the Alpha seems like any other mtn sled. Definitely need scratchers down and dip into the loose snow whenever the opportunity is present, seems to stay cooler if you're running 20-30 or faster, slow speeds it starts to get warmer 135-140ish. I usually run 40-50 tops, lots of vibration on hardback with the 3 inch lug, but that's no different than any other mtn sled I've ridden.

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
first season on a mtn sled so not sure how soon season ends.

still riding in spring corn? I ran into a guy in Buena Vista spring of 17 while on my way back from a ski trip...he said the spring riding was just getting good and other than the approach, just as fun. he has a boosted RMK painted like a rainbow trout and seemed to know what he was talking about...

still riding in the spring? corn on Vail pass etc?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The scratchers on the Alpha are really effective. Best scratchers I have ever run. For some reason I never forget to put them up before I reverse either! Scratchers down on hard trails I have no heat issues. If I forget the heat spikes really quick, especially on the tight single track even tho I don’t rip down those.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I rented one in west yellowstone last weekend. Sled had about 2700 miles on it, although I'm sure being a rental a lot of those were trail miles. Track had some delamination at the base of a few lugs, and a couple split lugs but none missing. Looking on the inside of the track, the unclipped windows were worn pretty bad, similar to the axys tracks the last few years. I got stuck once and when I rolled it over I noticed at the front of the rail, the outside edge of the track clips were shaving off the side of the hyfax. When I dropped it off at the rental outfit, the guy said they've all been doing that, and I was only the second person to ride it on that set of hyfax.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
keep track tight. 1" sag. ran quite a bit of trail this week up at togwotee...never had an issue. sled goes down a trail just fine. 1 scratcher down most of the time = 122°

Premium Features