• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spring Checking an SKS 155 and have a couple questions..

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
So I have pretty much everything I want figured out. I am stuck on 2 things.

- PIDD or No PIDD? Is it really worth the $800
- Which track...2.25 Peak or 2.4 Series 5.1?

I am focusing on riding in the Snowy Range but need to be able to ride it on the trails in northern WI or the U.P. from time to time.

Also, I am looking at getting the Monarch bumper. I have it on my Switchback and really like it. Are there better bumpers out there?

One gripe I have is why is there no discount for adding options on an order? I am going to pay full price for swapping bumpers and/or windshields but I don't get the the original parts to sell. Seems I am better to order the sled stock then buy the parts afterwards so I can sell the original parts. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks!!

M
Feb 19, 2019
I opted out of the PIID on the Assault I just ordered. I didn't feel the GPS and Bluetooth connectivity for your phone justified the $700 price hike.

If I want GPS i'll just get a cheap garmin

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The PIDD gauge is not worth 800 to me, Ive went standard gauge on my last 3.

The peak track is not a good powder track, I think you will be happier with the 2.4

You are better off not paying the extra for add ons for the exact reason you mentioned. You would be better off just ordering them separate from your dealer (hopefully at a 10-15% discount when ordering a sled).

I havent looked at any of the snowcheck options this year so I dont know the details, but in the past getting the painted rails, tunnel, spindles and a-arms is worth the extra money because that does help resale and it does a better job shedding snow then raw aluminum.

Also shock upgrades can be a good value. You still dont get the stock set of shock, but your normally only paying 400.00 extra for a good upgrade and you cant buy a set of aftermarket shocks for anywhere close to that.

M
Feb 19, 2019
I havent looked at any of the snowcheck options this year so I dont know the details, but in the past getting the painted rails, tunnel, spindles and a-arms is worth the extra money because that does help resale and it does a better job shedding snow then raw aluminum.

This is my first snow check so I’m not to sure how things usually go especially from dealer to dealer but is this something you usually pay for? I know when I was building my sled on Polaris’ website the cost went up for the better track, and all 3 paint options and electric start but when my dealer quoted me a price they had “ate” the cost of the options I added.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
This is my first snow check so I’m not to sure how things usually go especially from dealer to dealer but is this something you usually pay for? I know when I was building my sled on Polaris’ website the cost went up for the better track, and all 3 paint options and electric start but when my dealer quoted me a price they had “ate” the cost of the options I added.

You should never pay MSRP on a snowcheck. With these prices in the 14-15K range you should get somewhere between 1000-2000 off of MSRP.

The most I have paid yet is 12,500 and that was on a 14,700 MSRP sled. My 17 was 14,900 and I paid 11,800.

Another big discount that very few people know about is the warranty option. They offer a 4yr warranty on snowcheck, you can wave that and get a 2yr or even 1yr and save anywhere from 500-1000

For guys that are going to do engine mods right away a 4yr warranty is just wasting money.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Like others have said skip the PIDD, not worth what they charge for it. As far as tracks go the Peak is awful in any sort of powder. No experience with the 2.4. What about the 2.6? How much trail riding will you be doing as the 2.6 is a fantastic track.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
skip the PIDD, it is a waste of money.

if you are considering the 2.4 track, just get the 2.6. is is a much better track. now that it is fully clipped, it seems to be holding up better.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Like others have said skip the PIDD, not worth what they charge for it. As far as tracks go the Peak is awful in any sort of powder. No experience with the 2.4. What about the 2.6? How much trail riding will you be doing as the 2.6 is a fantastic track.

Hopefully not a ton but definitely some. Maybe 200-400 miles per year.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Hopefully not a ton but definitely some. Maybe 200-400 miles per year.

200-400 miles a year would still be ok on a 2.6 as long as you limit your speed, always run the scratchers on the trail and try to dip the edge of the track into soft snow from time to time when your on a hard packed trail.

The 2.6 is a much better track then the 2.4

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Go with the 2.6 track and standard gauge. I have a 2.6 on my snow checked 16 sks 800 and it's been a great track. I haven't had any problems with cooling when running down the trails the front cooler helps a lot with cooling. I have around 1500 miles on it now.

Premium Features