Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: GEN 2 1999-2001, all models in the Gen 2 chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Sully853 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sled idles better with gas shut off

Just picked up a 01 550 sport touring. Sled starts up first or second pull but doesn't want to idle on its own. If I shut the gas off to the sled and start it again it ideas pretty much perfect. What is going on here? Pulled apart the carbs and completely cleaned them and blew everything out with air. Still same deal. Any help would be great

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 PM
BeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond repute

The two things that occur to me are bad needle and seat, causing it to load up with fuel, or a bad fuel pump causing it to suck fuel through the impulse line while it's running. I'd start by opening the crankcase drain plugs (look on the bottom front of the block, underneath the Y-pipe). You'll probably get a little oil out of them, but if you see more than a small dribble of gas, it's probably the fuel pump.

To check the needle and seat, per the FSM, you have to take the carb off and invert it, then apply 5 PSI to the fuel inlet. It should hold that for at least a minute. To be honest, I've never checked them that way. I've replaced a couple sets mostly for peace of mind, but you'd either need to rig up something with a compressor line or buy a hand pump. Dealer's choice on that, the needle and seat are about $15 each.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Currently: ACTIVELY defend your right to ride.
Polaris & Montana Moderator
Thanked 8,220 Times in 4,733 Posts
Scott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond reputeScott has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Needle is the FIRST thing I thought of too.

Ambassador for:
FB & IG: Scott Stiegler

Check out these cool products:

Old 02-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Currently: Not set
retiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond repute

Choke plungers seating all the way down in their bore?

Haven't outgrown my 600 yet!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-22-2019, 07:38 PM
Basic Member
Sully853 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ordered a pair of needles and seats Should show up Tuesday. Hofully that solves the issue