• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Boosted failures and issues

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Do you just get home from work and kick your dog around your house? I swear you have to be the most miserable/negative person on this forum. I have yet to see you say anything good about anything lol I offered to ride with you in McCall and you went quiet. I'll be back in a couple weeks and you can try my turbo which ran flawless for 3 days straight in McCall. You can also try the Tom's skids on both my sleds. Then perhaps you can post a positive post for once?

No, I beat my wife. You never offered to ride with me that I can remember. If you did and I declined is was likely that was because almost every SW member I have taken out to ride with I have had to babysit.
I post honest posts, if people don't like that then not my problem.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Who is your “MPI ambassador”? There aren’t any, so I find it kinda funny you would say that they claimed multiple engine failures. Sounds like it’s a problem with whoes installing your turbos, can’t get MPI or BD to live.

To answer the original question. If your stock ski doo parts are in good shape and you have someone who knows what they are doing install and set up your turbo, you won’t have any problems. I probably have a dozen friends with ski doo 850 turbos. Some on are on their third season. Some have bought a new 850 every year and installed a new turbo every year. There is one thing that will kill a boosted doo 850 motor very quickly, that’s over reving the motor. As far as reliability of a turbo compared to a big bore, again it’s going to come down to install and set up. Personally I’ve had boondocker, MPI and Silber turbos. Poor set up or install will kill a good turbo or bog bore very quickly.
I am not going to name his name, not classy. He was an ambassador/sponsored last year. I saw him today.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
No, I beat my wife. You never offered to ride with me that I can remember. If you did and I declined is was likely that was because almost every SW member I have taken out to ride with I have had to babysit.
I post honest posts, if people don't like that then not my problem.

You have posted so much negativity on here you probably forgot what thread. It was the thread about you crying about the T motion. Let's hook up when I'm back in McCall. I'll save a day just for you. I can 100% guarantee you won't have to babysit me. If you do I'll pay you a $500 guide fee for your troubles :face-icon-small-dis

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
No it’s coming from the last 850 with an MPI kit on it that typicaly rides with us has had to be towed out 3 of the last 6 days riding. It’s ate 3 coils and one TPS. Yet MPI just say I don’t know not our fault. The only real help we have been able to find is from Big John. If you weren’t such a keyboard warrior and actually spent some time on the mountain talking to other riders you’ll see that we’re not to only ones facing these problems. So calm down little man, I know being behind the keyboard gives you the courage to say what ever you want with out getting you teeth knocked out.

Hey Skippy I pm'd you asking what area you ride in and told you you can kick my teeth in and then I'll ride with you... Crickets on your end as usual. Who's calling who a keyboard warrior??? :face-icon-small-dis

S
Dec 27, 2017
2nd season on a '18 850 BD Sidekick that I installed myself. The turbo has ran flawless for the most part. The only issues I've had have been clutching related. Last year, shortly after install I had an overrev to limp mode event. This sent me chasing a better clutch setup and different gearing. The clutching sent with the kit was subpar to say the least. Ended up trying various helix/spring/gearing combinations. Got it pretty close with the issued ZRP weights when combined with a sea level pdrive spring. Ended up giving the SHR kit a try this winter and haven't looked back. Do yourself a favor and put a 41/45 helix in with the grn/grn spring. My clutches are honestly cooler now than when the sled was stock.

I also changed my reeds in the offseason due to the overrev and one pedal had a corner broken off.

T
update on silber 850

As I said in an earlier reply in this thread, ive had very few problems with the silber at 7lbs, now at 700 miles on boost, found my sputtering problem was reeds, they are thin and week from the factory and if you hit the rev limiter while boosting, it eats reeds. Cycles and sleds in logan Utah says to use the boyesen carbon tech reeds and they will be way better, ill let ya know, but of the 4 other turbos ive ran (all cats) I had problems with boondocker both performance, and customer service, the ovs race gas kit on my proclimb was awesome, but still had issues ( not with the turbo kit, but eating reeds and it was hard to start sometimes...which is due to cats temperature probe position in relation the the antifreeze return line from the turbo) but it just hit 4k miles on 12-15 lbs boost, it finally lost a rod bearing at 4k but on high boost what do you expect? I stand by silber as being the most trouble free kit yet, if I left it on 3-5lbs and never hit the rev limiter I don't think id have any issues. Now I am extremely hard on my toys, and this kit is years ahead of anything ive encountered so far.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I have 1000 miles on my force turbo kit and 1700 on the sled. So far I had a rave valve controller take a dump,fuel pump came unhooked after a ruff landing last spring and a fuel filter get plugged. I would say the sled has been pull and go on the mountain for the most part. I spend some extra time between trips going over the sled but do that even with the stock sled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flydanner

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2018
Hey Skippy I pm'd you asking what area you ride in and told you you can kick my teeth in and then I'll ride with you... Crickets on your end as usual. Who's calling who a keyboard warrior??? :face-icon-small-dis

O my deepest apologies for not getting back to you sooner, you see while you’ve been hunkered down pounding away on the old keyboard i’ve been busy, it’s what us grownups do. Any way I really don’t have any interest in ever spending time taking you riding, however if you get out of the oll basement and hang out in a parking lot at the trail head I’m sure you’ll find someone willing to take you along. Good luck out there sport. :bowl:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
O my deepest apologies for not getting back to you sooner, you see while you’ve been hunkered down pounding away on the old keyboard i’ve been busy, it’s what us grownups do. Any way I really don’t have any interest in ever spending time taking you riding, however if you get out of the oll basement and hang out in a parking lot at the trail head I’m sure you’ll find someone willing to take you along. Good luck out there sport. :bowl:
What a condescending Richard!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

R
Jan 28, 2020
I have 2 friends with Boondocker turbos on their 18’s. One has been pretty solid, the other burt down last year. This year the same one is having other gremlins, it is supposedly at Boondocker now getting looked at.

I’ve heard of a few Silbers having issues as well.

Kinda sounds like it’s a crap shoot. Some folks say no issues pull the rope and go, while other keep coming back on the rope.
I have 2 friends with Boondocker turbos on their 18’s. One has been pretty solid, the other burt down last year. This year the same one is having other gremlins, it is supposedly at Boondocker now getting looked at.

I’ve heard of a few Silbers having issues as well.

Kinda sounds like it’s a crap shoot. Some folks say no issues pull the rope and go, while other keep coming back on the rope.
Who is Bryce and do you have his number?

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Silber 850

Ive got about 600 miles on an 18 silber 850 at 7lbs,(shr adjustable ramps loaded full @ 8k to 11k feet) for the most part its been awesome, sometimes it'll sputter on top end, but can usually be fixed with a clicker adjustment, but now ive got a low end sputter thinking maybe reeds,but when running right its comes on fast , smoothest turbo ive ran.

update, it was reeds, put in force turbo reeds, 200 miles so far so good. also did the grip n rip alignment, every 850 should do it, so much better, tried a couple 45 second to minute long pulls and belt was fine, love this setup!!!!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You win the internet ?

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
My 850 has been pretty solid for the most part. I've had two separate issues.
First was inconsistent idle and running rpm. Reeds were chipped on the corners and not sealing properly. Added some turbo spec reeds from Bryce at Force and that fixed it.
Second was check engine light for P0426 and P0428 code. This is a DOO fault because the pins on the wiring harness to the muffler sensor had backed out and lost connection. It's a '17 thang...lol
You are gonna think I'm nuts...but this sled was a prior RENTAL before I picked it up in late '18. With 3000 miles on it what did I do...added boost! I might do a top end at the end of this season :)
This sled hated belts before and after boost. Belt dust everywhere in the engine compartment. Best thing I ever did was the Grip and Rip alignment tool and shims. It took better part of a Saturday to align properly, but has been great on belts even with boost now! No more belt dust!!

D
Dec 8, 2016
Chalk one up in his favor because a buddy put an mpi on his 19 and it came home on a rope. All he told me was something electrical. Fixed now and as chadly says, it runs flawless now. I don't know if it was sled woes or turbo kit woes.
Is there any chance you have more info on what happened to your buddies sled with the MPI kit? I put a new MPI on my 17 and lost 2 ignition coils in 100 miles straightline performance has been very helpful as well as the my Doo dealer. They both are convinced it is not the turbo kit causing the issue but we still have not fugures out what is causing them to go out

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I will probably see him, on the mountain, Saturday. I will try and remember to ask him. He doesn't have that sled anymore. He has a 19 with mpi now. Running it at 7 psi. I rode it last year and it ran good. Can't remember if the one he had trouble with was a 17 or 18. I think it was an 18.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Is there any chance you have more info on what happened to your buddies sled with the MPI kit? I put a new MPI on my 17 and lost 2 ignition coils in 100 miles straightline performance has been very helpful as well as the my Doo dealer. They both are convinced it is not the turbo kit causing the issue but we still have not fugures out what is causing them to go out

Is MPI pulling power from the coils to run their stuff?

If so find a different power source, Boondocker was doing that and had major issues with coils. I believe they have change how they are accessing power now.

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
Bryce from turbo performance sold me a kit that has 2900 trouble free miles on it now. Pretty impressive. He has started a new company called force turbos now.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The doo 850 has thousands of trouble free turbo miles. Correct install and tuning is key to longevity on any turbo sled. Most engine failures I’ve seen in turbo sleds were owner errors. Either install errors or not enough octane/detonation errors.

Premium Features