• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Temperature is acceptable?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Hi Guys,
New Axys owner here. I got 12 miles on it last week and I should get some more this saturday, but I have a lot to learn about the new machine. I love having a temperature gauge on it to tell me engine temperature, but now I don't know what to do with the information. How high is too high as far as engine temperature?

On my 12 mile ride, when I was in nice fresh snow, it seemed to do a really good job at staying at about 123 to 125. When I got off for a bit and just let it idle, it went up to about 131 and then started dropping again as soon as I got it into some deep snow again.

How Paranoid should I be about this temperature gauge?

L
Nov 8, 2015
When your in pow it will stay right where you need it too around 120. But if your trail riding a lot on a warm day you will see as high as 210 and up I try to stay below the 150 mark when possible.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
On the trails in and out, I stop and put snow on the tunnel at 170.. under that I keep going.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
If I get over 150, I'll pull over and pack the top of the tunnel with snow and kick some into the skid. The scratchers work well on Polaris sleds.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
On the trails in and out, I stop and put snow on the tunnel at 170.. under that I keep going.
I do the same, anytime (on any brand) you will heat up some on hard packed trails. Ride off to the side in deeper snow for a bit if possible and spin your track to throw snow up under your tunnel, this cools a sled down quickly, and as stated above pack snow on the back of your tunnel if you get over 170-175.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I have not looked into the AXYS engine but the PRO Ride engine would start to cut timing and add fuel at 128-129 degrees F. So if you want the best performance you should try to keep it below that. IMO

Too cold also causes issues, always let it warm up until the gauge says 100-120 and the tunnel coolers are warming up. May not be as much of an issue on the AXYS with the bypass thermostat, but the PRO Ride would receive a cold shock every time you took any break at all. Hence development of the BRP Bypass Thermostat upgrade to mellow out the cold shock and add consistency to the engine temps.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I do the same, anytime (on any brand) you will heat up some on hard packed trails. Ride off to the side in deeper snow for a bit if possible and spin your track to throw snow up under your tunnel, this cools a sled down quickly, and as stated above pack snow on the back of your tunnel if you get over 170-175.

120-127 is normal.....150-175 you do this^^^

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
With standard ice scratchers I was running 145-155 on hard pack trails with my Pro 800.

I now have OTTP Ice Ace Reversible scratchers and they keep me at about 135-140 on the trail which is good enough for me. The OTTP scratchers kick up a lot more snow.

Amazing how 2 stroke sleds differ from 4 stroke UTVS. My polaris ACE 570 UTV's cooling fan doesn't turn on until 204 deg F and comes off at 179 deg F.

vfr-cfr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2016
New Brunswick
With standard ice scratchers I was running 145-155 on hard pack trails with my Pro 800.

I now have OTTP Ice Ace Reversible scratchers and they keep me at about 135-140 on the trail which is good enough for me. The OTTP scratchers kick up a lot more snow.

Amazing how 2 stroke sleds differ from 4 stroke UTVS. My polaris ACE 570 UTV's cooling fan doesn't turn on until 204 deg F and comes off at 179 deg F.
More power...ie...more heat :)

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I have not looked into the AXYS engine but the PRO Ride engine would start to cut timing and add fuel at 128-129 degrees F. So if you want the best performance you should try to keep it below that. IMO

Too cold also causes issues, always let it warm up until the gauge says 100-120 and the tunnel coolers are warming up. May not be as much of an issue on the AXYS with the bypass thermostat, but the PRO Ride would receive a cold shock every time you took any break at all. Hence development of the BRP Bypass Thermostat upgrade to mellow out the cold shock and add consistency to the engine temps.

128?
that's my normal operating temp since day one....you sure it's that low?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
128?
that's my normal operating temp since day one....you sure it's that low?

Yes, that is when it starts to progressively detune the engine to try to keep it cool with extra fuel and timing. Much more than that and the engine completely falls on it's face. For the best performance it needs to stay under that threshold.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Yes, that is when it starts to progressively detune the engine to try to keep it cool with extra fuel and timing. Much more than that and the engine completely falls on it's face. For the best performance it needs to stay under that threshold.

Hummm.....i will have to double check on this.

From what i recall in a conversation at the dealership, this is not what i was told. In fact, one person said " just ride the thing and stop looking at the heat gauge, people worry too much about this" :)

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Hummm.....i will have to double check on this.

From what i recall in a conversation at the dealership, this is not what i was told. In fact, one person said " just ride the thing and stop looking at the heat gauge, people worry too much about this" :)

Thats funny your dealer told you that, because when you take your sled in for warranty work.... One of the first things they check in the the ECM is how hot youve been running it and for how long.

He is correct that the ECM pulls timing at a very low operating temp. I know its right around 130* but I cant recall the exact temp at the moment. Eric

Premium Features