• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WARRANTY DEBACLE WITH DEALER(S)---WHAT WOULD YOU DO

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Here are the facts:

Purchased a 2011 Polaris Pro 800 end of last year. It had a 4 year warranty expiring November 2014.

Took the paperwork I got from the seller within 30 days of the transaction into a local Polaris Dealer # 1, they charge me $50 to change registration of the sled into my name.

See attached, see how it states extended service contract exists.

I assume I am good to go, the same dealer # 1 even warrantied a failed EGT sensor for me, charged me the $50 deductible and on my way I went.

I'm thinking "Life is good", best machine I ever owned with a warranty to boot, yahoo!

I have a great season on this sled, engine fails in April.

No worries..........I HAVE A WARRANTY...... correct????

Take the machine to dealer # 2, they pull up paperwork and it shows that yes an extended warranty exists, (see same paperwork attached)

2 days later I get the proverbial rest of the story call from dealer #2:

In their conversation with the extended service provider "Warranty Solutions" they state that I did not process the change of ownership paperwork properly. They even go on to tell dealer #2 that the EGT claim that was processed by dealer #1, who by the way changed the registration for me (see above) was contacted and told them that more paperwork was needed to complete the warranty transfer and that the EGT claim would not go through until this was completed correctly and entirely.

I never heard a word of this from anyone!

I contacted dealer # 1, they are surprised but feel BAD. They offered up some retribution such as sharing of costs and free labor, but I will still be several thousand out of pocket, WARRANTY YAHOO!

What is your take on this?

For those of you buying a sled with an extended warranty:

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE TRANSFER PROCESS, there is quite a bit of documentation that needs to be done for this to transfer properly.

BTW, I called Polaris Customer Service, their stand is it is not their problem!!!

Warranty Solutions has told me since they contacted dealer # 1 requesting more paperwork and never got it, I'm SOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
Sounds to me like Dealer #1 needs to get to work fixing the problem with the extended warranty company since Dealer #1 dropped the ball. They charged you for the transfer and failed to do it correctly. Either they should go through all the hastle to fix the warranty that is on the machine already or purchase a new contract for you. Time to head into Dealer #1 and get er' done.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I'm with Leftys. You paid for a service at Dealer #1 and they didn't deliver. They need to get it sorted out.

sled_guy

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'm with Leftys. You paid for a service at Dealer #1 and they didn't deliver. They need to get it sorted out.

sled_guy

I agree and that's exactly how I would word it. I paid for the warranty to be transferred properly and was under the impression it had been done. The dealer and the warranty company should be able to figure it out....

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
you say the dealer is going to split cost of material and give you free labor and your still going to be several thousand out. What kind of motor they putting in your sled??

All warranty is to me is less ways that you can get screwed but read between the lines cuz your probably gonna get screwed anyways.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
A Polaris short block lists for just under $4700, add some other misc stuff reed block that is toast and other gaskets, etc...taxes.... easily going to be between $2500 and $3k at my end at 50%

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
This is ALL on dealer #1's back, of course. They've been nice, but sharing of costs that are CLEARLY due to their failure to execute can't be excused. It's not just this repair, but the next one, before 11/14, also. They gotta eat this if THEY can't fix it with poo.

I wish you good luck - they make these warranty processes so complicated to satisfy the lawyers and accountants. Add to that, the warranties change from year to year. We're often lucky that a dealer can even fix a sled, much less take care of the myriad of legal documents to buy, or service under warranty. We end up being the victims of an OEM-Dealer relationship, which is more often than not strained to begin with. Rant off.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I guess I missed something. 2011 Pro, 4 year warranty. How did you get Warranty Solutions (Wells Fargo) as the carrier?

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Sounds like a deliberately confusing and over complicated process designed to do exactly what has happened in this situation.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND

sled_guy

Ding, ding, ding, I would agree.

A good dealer would step up, admit they screwed up and take care of the customer.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Not sure why it is Warranty Solutions, I have talked with them and confirmed they are/were the carrier....it is not Assurient (sp)

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
You paid fifty bucks to buy the expertise of this dealer. I would imagine that they would have a pretty compellable obligation to cover your damages.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Was Dealer #1 the original vendor of:
1) -The sled
2) -The extended warranty ??

If so, they are obliged to be familiar with the entire process, they sold the sled, the warranty and sold you a service to transfer the warranty into your name.

I would go into dealer #1, sit down face to face with the owner/GM and have a clear discussion of their responsibilities.

Keep us in the loop.

Last edited:

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Dealer # 1 is the not the original vendor of the sled or extended service contract.. I have sent correspondence to dealer # 1 requesting full re-reimbursement for all expenses I may incur, I'll let you know how that turns out.

The biggest rub I have here is that the claim rep called dealer #1 and let them know what needed to be done for the warranty process to continue, they did nothing with that info, a simple call at that time to me and we would not be having this conversation.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
It just amazes me to read about warranty issues. IT'S THE SLED THAT IS BEING WARRANTIED, NOT THE OWNER. The dealer pulls up the VIN # and the sled either has warranty or not. What the hell difference does it make who the owner is. It's just a continual hose job by these manufacturers. When people quit buying their product, maybe then they'll get their heads out of their butts and quit trying to screw the consumer.

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
It just amazes me to read about warranty issues. IT'S THE SLED THAT IS BEING WARRANTIED, NOT THE OWNER. The dealer pulls up the VIN # and the sled either has warranty or not. What the hell difference does it make who the owner is. It's just a continual hose job by these manufacturers. When people quit buying their product, maybe then they'll get their heads out of their butts and quit trying to screw the consumer.

After the machine is out of the factory Polaris warranty Polaris has nothing to do with it and as far as I know warranty solutions is not an esc offered through polaris. Why should Polaris Industries be responsible for the EXTENDED WARRANTY paperwork to be completed correctly? Do you think there's maybe a reason it's known as extended warranty? Don't make this Polaris' fault because it's not, IMO it's dealer #1's fault. They should have done the paperwork thoroughly especially if you paid them. Not trying to be a jack*** but sometimes that's the only way to get your point across and that point is it's not factory warranty so it's not polaris' problem, it's the extended warranty company and dealer #1's problem.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I sold a sled to a buddy late last year, 2012 Pro. It was a peach, 500 miles. At 700 miles it broke a crank. Lucky we were inside the 30 day time period and he got the warranty straightened out and the new engine was paid for. The whole process seemed designed to fail, I was surprised how much hassle it was. Looks simple in the instructions but it was a dozen phone calls, several faxes and a scramble to get it done in 30 days. If you are selling or buying a sled with a warranty I would highly recommend that you get the paperwork rolling on the transfer immediately and make sure the warranty is in place for the new owner. With my Doos the warranty just stays with the sled, doesn't matter who owns it or how many times it is sold.

Last edited:

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Maybe I'm mistaken but I believe the sled was originally sold with the extended service contract by a Polaris Dealer, in my mind I truly feel that if this was challenged legally that Polaris would be held responsible. Now I'm not a lawyer, but how can they sell the contracts then claim no responsibility for the execution or servicing of them.....rant over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features