• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bypass oil reservoir/ weight reduction??

Oct 28, 2008
I have a 2000 rmk 700. looking to reduce more weight...where ever I can. I helped a friend of mine bypass his oil pump/ reservoir for weight reduction on his 06 ski doo 800. Has anyone done this to a Gen II? How much weight can I save? Where can I buy a Kit? Any more suggestions on saving weight?

Thanks a million and good luck this season

002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
.....ok well if you mix the oilinto the tank and remove the resivoir, then you will in effect lesoned the amount of fuel you have... So how about a smaller resivoir and don't fill up the gas tankl all the way? Simpler, better on crank bearings, and probubly save more weight.

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
Is that seat your idea of shedding a few #s... LOL i'm sorry man I just can't look at it without laughin'. :clap2:
*back on topic*
I've read somewhere on this forum that certain years require the cases be drilled out to allow oil to feed some of the bearings but some years don't. I think its the early 700 motors that need to be drilled so you may be alright. Search around the forum and see what you find...

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
.....ok well if you mix the oilinto the tank and remove the resivoir, then you will in effect lesoned the amount of fuel you have... So how about a smaller resivoir and don't fill up the gas tankl all the way? Simpler, better on crank bearings, and probubly save more weight.

How do you figure that... What do you think the oil injection system does. Most oil injections systems mix in more than the 32 to 1 oil ratio that you would run when premixing in the tank.... Your certainly not lessening the fuel to oil ratio in the combustion chamber more running premix compared to oil injection.

1 pint of premix oil per tank is pure magic and the whole sled will run better as a result with an actual correctly mixed oil to fuel ratio... people run oil pumps for convenience and the fact that they make the sled pull and go... not because they work better that premix.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
How do you figure that... What do you think the oil injection system does. Most oil injections systems mix in more than the 32 to 1 oil ratio that you would run when premixing in the tank.... Your certainly not lessening the fuel to oil ratio in the combustion chamber more running premix compared to oil injection.

1 pint of premix oil per tank is pure magic and the whole sled will run better as a result with an actual correctly mixed oil to fuel ratio... people run oil pumps for convenience and the fact that they make the sled pull and go... not because they work better that premix.

you are wrong. The oil pump also pumps oil to the crank bearings on each side of the case. You will have to machine the bottom end for this or your bearings will go out burning down your engine and or destroying your whole bottome end.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
you are wrong. The oil pump also pumps oil to the crank bearings on each side of the case. You will have to machine the bottom end for this or your bearings will go out burning down your engine and or destroying your whole bottome end.

I didnt say anything about the case or the crank bearings obviously your going to have to find a way to oil those most people run a small pint or so tank to make sure they are oiled. Im talking about the oil to fuel ratio in the combustion chamber, and was referring to that part of your post.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
in that cse, you are correct. The oil to fuel ratio on thease sleds is WAY fat.

When i had my 05 IQR 800 i premixed at 40-1 and had no issues....untill my crank bearings went out and spun inside my case...destryoing it. All because Spank at Bad Oscar Customs, told me the motor was set up for premix when it wasnt. He also insured me that i didn't have to run any type of extra oiling system for the bearings. :mad2:

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
in that cse, you are correct. The oil to fuel ratio on thease sleds is WAY fat.

When i had my 05 IQR 800 i premixed at 40-1 and had no issues....untill my crank bearings went out and spun inside my case...destryoing it. All because Spank at Bad Oscar Customs, told me the motor was set up for premix when it wasnt. He also insured me that i didn't have to run any type of extra oiling system for the bearings. :mad2:

Wow what a nice guy. Sounds like he had no idea what he was doing.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Ya.. it was a $3200 moter that got me about 1000 miles. although it did come with pipes and a track, i found no lube in any of the packaging. :face-icon-small-sho

Premium Features