• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI Stand Alone Thread Moved????

H

Heath@MPI

Dec 8, 2008
To add the stand alone to a kit now is $1500 just like Impulse, His price raise is cause he deleted many things from the kit and added the stand alone. The price including the fuel stand alone kit in our kit is not additional $1500 its more like $1000 cause the deletion of std fuel controller and few other small items. But will also include fuel system

Hope this helps

Thanks

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
To add the stand alone to a kit now is $1500 just like Impulse, His price raise is cause he deleted many things from the kit and added the stand alone. The price including the fuel stand alone kit in our kit is not additional $1500 its more like $1000 cause the deletion of std fuel controller and few other small items. But will also include fuel system

Hope this helps

Thanks

Heath,
So on a brand new stage 2 you would be at 6k with the standalone and fuel upgrade? That is pretty good!! And thanks for all the feedback and things you have been doing on this forum! You and now Mac coming on is answering some questions for me. Good Job Guys!! and i can't wait to see that new website!!!!

H

Heath@MPI

Dec 8, 2008
Heath,
So on a brand new stage 2 you would be at 6k with the standalone and fuel upgrade? That is pretty good!! And thanks for all the feedback and things you have been doing on this forum! You and now Mac coming on is answering some questions for me. Good Job Guys!! and i can't wait to see that new website!!!!

For a stage 2 it is $6495.00 Stang 1 $5995.00

No problem!

I cant wait to see it finished. It is very user friendly and very classy and updated

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Heath, Its great that you and Mac have come on here and do what your doing!!!

With that said im still confused, You are saying its 1500 retrofit, ($1000 upgrade on new kit orders) just like the impulse kit, here is a copy of whats listed on the impulse site for the standard nytro kit...

COST: $6775 USD
SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Mid-mounted Garrett GT2860RS Turbo
Short, responsive 3 into 1 stainless header
High flow intercooler
Short stainless downpipe
10 gallon fuel capacity
STANDALONE FUEL INJECTION CONTROLLER
Surge tank and high flow fuel system
750cc Fuel Injectors
50mm Tial Q Blow-Off Valve
Head shim

Last year this same kit WITHOUT the standalone was $6450, so thats $325 added to the kit from last year to this year, also the 750cc injectors were not standard as well, so thats been added to the kit to make the SA work..

Basically what im getting at is, its only $300 added to the impulse kit from last year, MPI's cost jump is $1000 for new order kits?

Sure regulator piggyback style fuel controller are deleted from the kit but it still costs money for the SA system and injectors that are standard in the impulse kit.

Last edited:
B

blackhillsnytro

Nov 22, 2008
Spearfish SD
Just to chime in on the customer service end of things. I bought a used Apex setup with a Stage 2 this year, and being new to the supercharger world had no clue on a lot of things. Every time I called my questions were answered and great advise was given. Bought the Prologger and was in the dark on a few things. Called or pm'd Heath and and was walked through it. Same with the new bypass valve. The questions are answered with no hesitation or uncertainty. With everything setup with their recommendations, the things runs top notch. Will be a customer for the stand alone in the future as well.

H

Heath@MPI

Dec 8, 2008
Heath, Its great that you and Mac have come on here and do what your doing!!!

With that said im still confused, You are saying its 1500 retrofit, ($1000 upgrade on new kit orders) just like the impulse kit, here is a copy of whats listed on the impulse site for the standard nytro kit...

COST: $6775 USD
SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Mid-mounted Garrett GT2860RS Turbo
Short, responsive 3 into 1 stainless header
High flow intercooler
Short stainless downpipe
10 gallon fuel capacity
STANDALONE FUEL INJECTION CONTROLLER
Surge tank and high flow fuel system
750cc Fuel Injectors
50mm Tial Q Blow-Off Valve
Head shim

Last year this same kit WITHOUT the standalone was $6450, so thats $325 added to the kit from last year to this year, also the 750cc injectors were not standard as well, so thats been added to the kit to make the SA work..

Basically what im getting at is, its only $300 added to the impulse kit from last year, MPI's cost jump is $1000 for new order kits?

Sure regulator piggyback style fuel controller are deleted from the kit but it still costs money for the SA system and injectors that are standard in the impulse kit.

We are now including a $400 fuel system upgrade, and $1500 stand alone which comes with the injectors, for $1000 $6495 total price.

I spoke with Paul about it today He charges $1500 if u call him up and say i want the stand alone i already have a kit.

He deleted the fuel controller which cost more then $300 and regulator that cost $250 or more we are deleting nothing only adding parts. This is why the increased cost.

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
Bravoooo

CLAP...CLAP...CLAP....CLAP.....wouldn't darko be proud of ya'll. Glad to see you here MAC and humbly owning up to the mistakes. This will certainly help your business and sincerity.....some of us might actually believe you both now. This has been a good thing for many people....one of the best threads I've been a part of.......skeptical a bit but optamistic.
Have you considered an average everyday guy affordable kit? (The guy with a wife, mortgage and three kids) By this I mean 4000.00 with no intercooler and 4-5 lbs boost max on 100LL...(octane level could be easily achievable by all or with Klots additive)
Yamacharger of sorts by MPI pushing 4-5 lbs with an iron clad dependable & simplified kit. As you know boost is addicting, after a few years customers would naturally upgrade and could afford it. I have many friends who just can't pull the trigger on six thousand dollars when they paid only a smidge more for their sled and half that for a paxton blower installed on their stang. If there were a solidly dependable kit adding 40 h.p. for $4000.00 out the door and no hidden costs it could open the market to another sector. The economy isn't going to improve soon and this would be the trend...decrease cost and performance a bit, still making profit and increase cutomer base.

andre162

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2008
northern california
I am sure glad the the guys from MPI are finally standing up for their company. I have beed using their products for 6 years on the apex and now the nytro and like all the aftermarket companys they have had their problems.. I feel that their is a breath of fresh air being blowen into MPI. This is a top notch company with alot more potental and it has bothered me how a few seem to run them down with out any response. Good for you MPI. I am going to be running the new fuel contoler this weekend and will keep everyone posted.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I just wanted to speak in support of what Mac and Heath have represented. I like others have had several problems with my supercharged Apex. I think I have experienced them all...sprocket coming off, blower sucking up water & seizing, blower gone bad, throttle bodies blowing off, fuel controller going bad, you name it, I've been there done that, almost all with the same result...the dumb end of a tow rope. Was I pissed off...yes, but I gotta tell ya, each problem came with a fix and great service by Mac, Heath, and a few others over the years. They have even diagnosed unrelated problems and offered solutions. Its not like what they are doing has been around in our industry forever. This is new stuff, and whether we like it or not...we're gonna have problems that were unforeseen by them. They run a very fine line on a tight winter schedule to get product to market. Companies like Impulse that seem to do everything right have a HUGE advantage over a company like MPI. They have been able to learn from the mistakes of the other bunch of companies building similar products. MPI is the Lone Ranger, and I think they are building a fine product.

Being a business owner myself, I can COMPLETELY understand the difficulties they are faced with. You assume people are taken care of, only because that is what the employee tells you. I get it...only to find out later that your employee is a douche and he didn't take care of anybody but himself. I think Heath has been a great asset to Macs business and I can't wait until I get to try out the standalone in the future.

I for one love my sled and think it kicks arse. I know its not the baddest around but it sure puts a smile on my face.

S
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian, Idaho
Interesting reading for sure. I too had some issues with MPI in hte past. We tangled a bit, but in the end Mac took care of me. Fast forward a coupe years, add Heath to the mix, and I have gotten nothing but outstanding customer service.

I don't think it is realistic to expect Mac to be here everyday. He has admitted that he wants good customer service and that he personally is not always the best to take those calls. He doesnt take well to being called names and being screamed at. Instead he has found someone who is able to handle those support calls and unhappy customers VERY well. There is nothing wrong with that. A key ingredient to a successful business for both the owner AND customer is recognizing strengths and weeknesses and putting people in the proper positions. Mac's biggest strength is his R&D and technical abilities. Heath's biggest strength is resolving customer issues with a heavy dose of technical prowess mixed in. They are in the psoitions they should be. Don't misunderstand me, Mac is more than happy to get on the phone and help you when needed, but it's just not feasable for him to do it all day every day. He has a lot of responsibilities that require attention.... managing employess, paying bills, designing products, etc...

In my experience if you call Heath your issues WILL be resolved.

About upgrades pricing etc.... Everyone is correct that the original kits did not come with the fuel upgrade, BOV, cold air intake, or the new fuel system. The cost for a stage 2 was $5500 if memory serves me correctly. An impulse kit was $6700. MPI had a functioning kit for $1200 less than Impulse. They have their various pros and cons but for many the $1200 savings was appealing. The kit worked for most people just fine. Some had isssues with fuel delivery and MPI worked to rectify it. Maybe they did enough maybe they could have done more, I'll give you that one. The cold air and BOV are nice to have but are NOT absolutely required. That is why they are upgrades. Doing all of the upgrades puts you in the price range of the Impulse kit. What is wrong with that?

It has been discussed here that if you have an impulse kit and want the new fuel system you pay $1500. The same goes for MPI. Yet MPI is being bashed and Impulse is not. How is that fair?

I gave MPI a second chance and have been very glad I did. Mac and Heath are trying very hard to give good customer service and have tried very hard to make up for any previous miss steps. They aren't perfect and never will be, but I have yet to find a company that is.

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
comments.....

CLAP...CLAP...CLAP....CLAP.....wouldn't darko be proud of ya'll. Glad to see you here MAC and humbly owning up to the mistakes. This will certainly help your business and sincerity.....some of us might actually believe you both now. This has been a good thing for many people....one of the best threads I've been a part of.......skeptical a bit but optamistic.
Have you considered an average everyday guy affordable kit? (The guy with a wife, mortgage and three kids) By this I mean 4000.00 with no intercooler and 4-5 lbs boost max on 100LL...(octane level could be easily achievable by all or with Klots additive)
Yamacharger of sorts by MPI pushing 4-5 lbs with an iron clad dependable & simplified kit. As you know boost is addicting, after a few years customers would naturally upgrade and could afford it. I have many friends who just can't pull the trigger on six thousand dollars when they paid only a smidge more for their sled and half that for a paxton blower installed on their stang. If there were a solidly dependable kit adding 40 h.p. for $4000.00 out the door and no hidden costs it could open the market to another sector. The economy isn't going to improve soon and this would be the trend...decrease cost and performance a bit, still making profit and increase cutomer base.
>>>
Comments on the above post and thoughts......Love to hear from both Health and Mac.....

H

Heath@MPI

Dec 8, 2008
I totally agree with you on this and infact we have been thinking about it cause really 4-6 lbs i dont think you really need it anyway. We are also looking at doing this in our automotive business. I wouldnt be supprised if you see a non intercooled nytro kit in the next little bit. It will cut cost significantly and still be reliable and dependable for the low boost guys.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions as always.

Sorry for late reply just leaving work now.

Have a safe weekend. Im going sledin:beer;

mtnperf

Premium Member
Thanks for the break you guys! We won’t let you down. More importantly, THANK YOU to our long time customers who have risked near certain flogging to come to our defense. We have long considered a lower cost non-intercooled kit. However, I think that non intercooling speaks to reliability of the motor. One thing that has never popped up in the complaint column is motor damage. I have gone to great lengths to try and insure durability to your OE motor. One of the reasons that we initially didn’t recommend the head shim was our knowledge of the complicity of the Yamaha 4 stroke. Anyone can throw pistons in a 2 stroke, but very few had the experience to work on these very high tech expensive 4 strokes. I know over and over again of issues when the wrong or inexperienced person has cracked into one of the motors who maybe shouldn’t have. Not to go off on a big tangent, but I now know that the supercharger LIKES big compression where the turbo likes the lower compression. There are many reasons for that statement, but believe me in the case of our Yamas, its very true. Anyway, back to durability, we recommend race gas at far lower boost numbers than lots of the other guys. This is for safety. The SUPERCHARGER kit has one of the lowest charge temps in the industry, some from the SUPERCHARGER heat vs the turbo heat and some from the big intercooler. I AM NOT BAGGING ON TURBOS, just discussion differences. This is well known in the auto and aero industries as well. Anyway, if we could keep motors at 160 water temp and charge temps at 120 and we KNEW we had reliable pump gas, we could, no doubt, run 14 psi on reg gas. Unfortunately, al lot of times this isn’t the case. It seems like the bulk of the forum posters are very reasonable about the occasional damaged motor. I have always lived under the idea that even 1 damaged motor was unacceptable. With the introduction of the standalone Fuel Pro™; we can go a long way to offering safer pump gas solutions. Currently shipping Fuel Pro ™ is fuel control only, but our harness has some expansion capabilities. Things like total ignition control, Table switching for lower fuel quality, ability to react to high water temps and high intake temps.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Interestingly enough, some of you are asking of a kit with all the bells and whistles and others are asking for the basic kit. Fortunately we have configuration coming for both. Just a word on pricing, Paul was paying a lot for his Gen 3 controllers, he was buying them from people who were buying them from me. That was two price hikes over what I was paying. Paul and I know pay exactly the same for the standalones. So its good news and bad news. You see the impact from Paul getting a better price structure on his new fuel system vs his old. Lets take just a minute to look at what you get with this new fuel system. Yes you get the computer, but you are get a FULLY CUSTOMIZED harness, the computer is also 100% weather resistant. This is for sure not free. You also get 4 sensors, 3 huge flow matched injectors. AND the tuning is done. I’ll put this ECU up against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">EMS</st1:place>, MSD, Big Stuff, Fast, AEM to name a few. I’m not saying theirs are bad; but I am saying we are right there with function. Certainly our quality cannot be questions. The electronics are INDUSTRIAL grade, not commercial. This allows us bigger temp ranges and much better mechanical durability. Gold plated pins in the ECU (not tin) Silver pins in the harness, not tin. High temp wire, not the stuff from napa. When there is a choice of components, I upgraded. I dare say you could not build this computer system with harness, sensors and injectors for $2500. If you did there is still the weather proofing and the tuning. One of these harnesses takes 4 hours to assemble. My best outsourced quote on the harness alone was $340. Anyway, in a few weeks we will offer the full blown kit, Standalone, bypass valve, cold air kit, fuel system and the SUPERCHARGER and I think you will like the price. And guys, please remember, if you look at what is in the base supercharger kit versus a turbo kit the differences are huge in component count. If memory serves, there are 109 billet pieces that we make for the nytro SUPERCHARGER kit. Our BOM (bill of materials) is almost 400 lines long. Granted probably ½ is nuts, bolts and washers, but there a lot of stuff there. If we did not produce in batches of 250 we would die. If we went outside for machining we would die. Again this is not a Turbo vs SUPERCHARGER thing, I’m just saying that I don’t really think the SC needs to cost less based either on value or manufacturing cost. If you consider the base cost difference in Pauls GEMS module vs ours and his old fuel reg that is now deleted plus $300 to our price of about $1000 which is for the Fuel Pro and the Complete fuel system to back the 750cc injectors I think there is a lot of parity. We all know how often the GEMS modules went TU, we used to sell spares for $100, but this POed a few of our distributors and so we raised the spare price to $200. You guys know what the street price is on a boost capable Gen 3 / GEMS.
<o:p> </o:p>
Anyway, I taking this whole thing to heart and while I sitting here explaining some of our price modeling, I also looking at margins and possibly unnecessary items to try and soften the blow. We just increased the warranty on the charger unit from 1 year to 2 years, I could probably lower the kit cost by $100 if I went back to 1 year. Is that a reasonable idea? We’ve also kept the intercooler cores domestic, I notice a lot of other kits use foreign cores. If we sacrificed 20 degrees in inlet temps we could probably same another $100 there (the foreign core also weigh a bit less). Thoughts? Packaging the kit actually costs almost $70, if we went to more of a bulk packing method (not bad packing, just putting a lot more items together, we could probably save some. There are many sub-assemblies, if we just sent out the raw bolts and parts, etc, we could cut internal assembly cost. All of these potential saving would be reflected directly in the product price. Any advice?
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks,
Mac

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
It has been discussed here that if you have an impulse kit and want the new fuel system you pay $1500. The same goes for MPI. Yet MPI is being bashed and Impulse is not. How is that fair?

Not bashing, and if you read my post I stated that MPI was a 1500 RETROFIT and a 1000 upgrade upon ordering a new complete kit.

Impulse is a 1500 RETROFIT and a 300 dollar price increase from last year to this year in their nytro kit that being that the SA is standard in the kit.. so basically a 300 upgrade upon a new order turbo kit.

frees-tyler

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Prince Albert, SK
Great replies Heath and Mac!

Being a full line Yamaha dealer and reseller/ installer of MPI products I can totally relate to running a business where costs, margins and customer satisfaction are paramount to your survival. I for one looked at all the available turbo/ sc manufacturers and made an informed decision as to who would supply me with the product, knowledge and support and meet our high expectations. Powderlites was our boost choice last year and they have been nothing short of fantastic as far as customer service goes but we still wanted to build a supercharged sled. I personally had some "wants" in a supercharger kit that MPI did not offer last year but they now have what I want. I required a kit that wasn't to intrusive, had adjustable boost, maintained much of the stock appearance but still gave the customer the arm stretching hp they desired. This gives my customer the piece of mind that his/ her sled is reliable, has re-sale value and the ability to return to stock if need be.

MPI and some select turbo kits satisfied these needs but after talking to Heath and Mac this fall I've opted to run with them and I'm confident we are going to have a great season.

H
Nov 28, 2008
HERMISTON OR
In there defense

MAK AND HEATH
I OWN A SMALL BUISNESS OF MY OWN ONLY ABOUT 20 EMPLOYEES
AND I FIND IT QUITE AMAZING HOW QUICK EVERYBODY IS TO CRITICIZE
ABOUT ANY THING!!! I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT M P I STARTED THE
SNOWMOBILE BOOST CRAZE HOW SOON WE FORGET DONT WE??
I DONT THINK THERE IS ANOTHER MANUFACTURE IN THE SNOWMOBILE INDUSTRY OTHER THAN THE OEM'S THAT ARE PUTING OUT THE QUALITY
AND VOLUME M P I IS??? THERE IS A WELL KNOWN SEAT MANUFACTURE THAT EVERYBODY IS AWARE OF AND I DONT SEE THEM GETTING THROWN UNDER THE BUS FOR ANY OF THERE BUISNESS CHOICES!!!!! VERY AMAZING TO ME?? IF WE WHERE RIDING 2 SMOKES WE WOULD ACEPT THAT WE WOULD BURN DOWN OUR MACHINES ONCE A SEASON AND JUST THINK THAT IT WAS GREAT WE HAD ALL THAT EXTRA POWER!!! INSTEAD WE ARE PISSING AND MOANING ABOUT NOTHING!!! LIKE I SAID I OWN A SMALL BUISNESS AND I DO THE CUSTOMER SERVICE THING ALL DAY LONG I HAVE LEARNED THAT PROBABLY 95% OF ALL CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUES ARE EXPECTATION RELATED MEANING YOU AS THE PURCHASER DIDN'T KNOW WHAT YOU WHERE BUYING ? SO AS A PURCHASER YOU NEED TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY
AS WELL NOT JUST COMPLAIN THAT DOESN'T FIX A THING FOR ANYBODY JUST MY THOUGHTS:) WE ARE GETTING HIGH END RACE TECHNOLOGY FOR OUR MACHINES AND NOT HANDING OUT ALOT OF THANKS:D:D
SO THANK YOU M P I
KEEP BEING A PIONEER OF THE INDUSTRY
AN OLD FRIEND OF MINE ONCE SAID IT VERY HARD TO STAND ON THE TOP OF THE LADDER WHEN SOMEBODY IS SHAKING IT FROM THE BOTTOM:beer;:beer;

A
Nov 23, 2009
Thanks guys

To heath and Mac glad to see a new fuel controller the gems controller works but after buying a powderlites kit for my nytro and seeing how the RB3 module worked i wondered why the apex couldnt run like that. Glad to see that their is a new controller have been very happy with the mechanical side of the kit but the fuel controller is so touchy nice to see something know that will fix all these issues as i love just hitting the key on the nytro and not haveing to to tweak a fuel controller all day.

H

Heath@MPI

Dec 8, 2008
MAK AND HEATH
I OWN A SMALL BUISNESS OF MY OWN ONLY ABOUT 20 EMPLOYEES
AND I FIND IT QUITE AMAZING HOW QUICK EVERYBODY IS TO CRITICIZE
ABOUT ANY THING!!! I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT M P I STARTED THE
SNOWMOBILE BOOST CRAZE HOW SOON WE FORGET DONT WE??
I DONT THINK THERE IS ANOTHER MANUFACTURE IN THE SNOWMOBILE INDUSTRY OTHER THAN THE OEM'S THAT ARE PUTING OUT THE QUALITY
AND VOLUME M P I IS??? THERE IS A WELL KNOWN SEAT MANUFACTURE THAT EVERYBODY IS AWARE OF AND I DONT SEE THEM GETTING THROWN UNDER THE BUS FOR ANY OF THERE BUISNESS CHOICES!!!!! VERY AMAZING TO ME?? IF WE WHERE RIDING 2 SMOKES WE WOULD ACEPT THAT WE WOULD BURN DOWN OUR MACHINES ONCE A SEASON AND JUST THINK THAT IT WAS GREAT WE HAD ALL THAT EXTRA POWER!!! INSTEAD WE ARE PISSING AND MOANING ABOUT NOTHING!!! LIKE I SAID I OWN A SMALL BUISNESS AND I DO THE CUSTOMER SERVICE THING ALL DAY LONG I HAVE LEARNED THAT PROBABLY 95% OF ALL CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUES ARE EXPECTATION RELATED MEANING YOU AS THE PURCHASER DIDN'T KNOW WHAT YOU WHERE BUYING ? SO AS A PURCHASER YOU NEED TO TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY
AS WELL NOT JUST COMPLAIN THAT DOESN'T FIX A THING FOR ANYBODY JUST MY THOUGHTS:) WE ARE GETTING HIGH END RACE TECHNOLOGY FOR OUR MACHINES AND NOT HANDING OUT ALOT OF THANKS:D:D
SO THANK YOU M P I
KEEP BEING A PIONEER OF THE INDUSTRY
AN OLD FRIEND OF MINE ONCE SAID IT VERY HARD TO STAND ON THE TOP OF THE LADDER WHEN SOMEBODY IS SHAKING IT FROM THE BOTTOM:beer;:beer;

I couldnt agree with you more you hear alot of things about MPI and there are always 2 sides to all stories we have been around the longest and thats why you hear so many things. But obviously we have made some mistakes in the aproch and decisions the company has made in the past but things have changed now and we WILL NOT LET ANYONE DOWN!
Things and mistakes happen especially with the volume we produce so if you do or have had a issue at least let us make it right i GURANTEE it will end up right!

Premium Features