• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt staying low in secondary on nytro

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Ok, today when riding my nytro, with shockwave helix and letting off throttle quickly the belt seems to hang up. I am guessing that the belt is staying low in the secondary and it squeels some before finally getting back to the top.

What should I be looking at the plastic buttons, or is there something else that could cause this. I am running a yamaha belt that is still in good shape and still has a slight bit of stand out.

Thanks for any help.

kirk

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
What kind of secondary spring ? How old. Either try the Arctic Cat purple or green spring. Sorry is this on a turbo ? If not then try a new stock secondary yammy spring

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
yes, on a turbo, and it is running the yami spring, but cant remember which one, whatever one Dave at powderlites sent with the kit. The spring only has about 1000 miles on it also, Guess it could still be bad.

When thinking about this some more, I remember is doing this some last year, but not as much as it did it today.

Keep the ideas coming

k

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
sounds like you are spining your belt & the buttons are getting hot & sticking to the helix look at your buttons & see if they are melting,you mite need a new sping purple cat spring at 1-0.you could check your slider on the back of the primary will cause the same thing or it sounds the same when it happens.

ttheat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Sounds like spring might be in the wrong holes i would check the numbers moke sure they are right.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
can't remember for sure on the turns out, but 2 turns rings a bell. Does this seem right.

Keep in mind I am a 1000 feet elevation now, and do change it when going the mountains.

I will have to check the other suggestions and see if one of them fixes it.

I cannot remember which holes i have them in, but did right down what Dave said to do. Looks like several of you think the belt isn't getting squeezed tight enough. Is this what you guys are thinking.

thanks

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
can't remember for sure on the turns out, but 2 turns rings a bell. Does this seem right.

Keep in mind I am a 1000 feet elevation now, and do change it when going the mountains.

I cannot remember which holes i have them in, but did right down what Dave said to do. Looks like several of you think the belt isn't getting squeezed tight enough. Is this what you guys are thinking.

thanks

hot clutches are the usual cause of clutches sticking open ,things start to bind go look at your clutches then tell us what you have in it & any probs you see then we can help you from there,but i would suspect its your buttons or sliders.oh & the belt squeal you adjust by taking spacers out of the 3 bolts on the back that set you belt height or just put a new belt on it.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
should have been more clear on when I am hearing the belt squeal. It is immediately after letting off throttle then hitting it again. The stand out is within spec with this belt, no squeal when idling as would be if spacers were wrong. I will get back to everyone when I go and take a look.

Thanks everyone,

k

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah

thanks

Too much imo. We've seen many occasions when running helix like 50 + the belt will start digging groves into the bottom of your secondary.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Ok, more info

Shockwave is 2 turns out, and spring is at 1 and 0 could not see the color, but pretty sure it is a yammi spring (not 100%). How much wind r you supposed to put on these, I remember putting it together myself, was a biatch, but did put it together myself. Should I have been able to to this, or not.

The buttons and sliders appear to be ok, and from what i can see without taking it apart they show no signs of getting hot and melting.

Where should i go next guys. Should I decrease the angle, change the spring wind, maybe the spring.....

Thanks,

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Turn your helix out 1 turn max. Change your secondary spring to a new one. There are several different springs you can choose from do a little searching on here and find out which one fits you best. I like the epi purple.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Yammi

I have the same problem especially when riding deep snow in the trees off and on the throttle hard. I am running cat green 1.5 turns out. Also have tryed the purple EPI.
I have been trying to find a solution/ my belts are also going way to far into the secondary and wearing the inside of the belt!!

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Artic, sounds like we have the exact same problem. I haven't seen the wear on the inside of the belt, but really haven't looked for it either. I will take a look at the belt.

gotta be a easy fix for this, too many guys running turbos. Thanks for all the suggestions. What is the Purple EPI by the way? I have seen quite a few guys talk about the cat green spring. Guess I will have to order up a different spring.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Zebiraross,

So you want me to run a steeper angle If I am thinking right. Was what i was thinking, but how much will this affect my rpm's.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Nitro

Lots of guys on here, but i don't think many take there Nitro heavy duty tree riding.
let me know what your belt looks like, will grab a pic later for ya.
However I'm getting 400-500 miles on a belt can't complain about that.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Zebiraross,

So you want me to run a steeper angle If I am thinking right. Was what i was thinking, but how much will this affect my rpm's.

No, I want you to run less. Turn your shockwave all the way in, this is 42 deg. Then turn it out one turn. This will put you at about 46 deg. I dont know if this will solve your problem, but you had to much helix to begin with.

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
I have had that problem, mainly when tree riding (as artic cat is experiencing). You need more preload on the sno-pro green spring. not sure which holes to use as I look at how many degrees I wind it. 110 degrees seems to be good, even at 90 degrees It will squeal when quick on and of the throttle in tight trees (in bottomless powder). It simply isn't backshifting fast enough, and when you get back on the throttle it's too low in the secondary. I could not get a yami spring that would be stiff enough. If your experiencing this you may also notice the inside belt cogs are getting worn on the bottom of the secondary from slippage. hope this helps.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Ok, I looked at my belt and cannot see any wearing on the bottom. So anyway it looks like I need to try a different secondary spring, which one is the best the Green arctic cat or the Purple EPI you guys are talking about? Part numbers??? And what preload should I be using on it?

Thanks a bunch guys.

k

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Dexter

Dex you have hit the nail on the head. I have tryed more preload but keep pulling cords. I think I have found the happy medium for now.
Not sure on the EPI part # how ever its a Artic Cat snow pro Green from the older Cat clutches.

Premium Features