• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 DRAGON 800 DYNOTEST Stock & PC-5

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
From DYNOTECH JIM today:

Today we tested the 2010 Dragon 800 new stocker for the DTR/ AmSnow shootout in Woodgate NY this Friday 12/11. We had excellent winter air in the dyno room today, .078 lb/cuft air density. As Erich at BMP reported to me from his dyno testing when air is cold and good, fuel flow climbs and drowns the engine like last year.

144 HP just like last year in winter air. WTF. So I installed a PCV with a makeshift tune to reduce fuel flow appropriately and we made 155 HP. Guys from White Lake Polaris ans Smith Marine SkiDoo were in the dyno room when I did that, and eight jaws dropped. But that 155hp looked a tad lean at 8000 so I tweaked the PCV map and we got 154 HP with 12.5/1 A/F ratio dandy with zero clicks of deto. That is a map that I will post on DTR next week after the Shootout is over so you guys can download and go ride.. I am lobbying to have AmSnow let us do a demo run with D8 with fuel flow leaned out for good HP, if the White Lake polaris guys can tune clutches accordingly with their own PCV.

www.dynotechresearch.com (585) 993-2777

Last edited:
S

Snoweasel

Nov 27, 2007
Edmonton AB
Thanks

Excellent, thanks Kraven.

I have a DTR subscription and a PCIII so I will wait patiently for the new map. Had my 08D8 with the 2010 top end out last weekend in Valemount (BC) and the power was off from the original 08 motor. It ran excellent and very smooth but the top end wasn't there. Now I know exactly what to do.

For those who don't have a DTR subscription, GET-IT, it's worth every penny.

Once again, thanks Kraven, I'm feeling much better now that we have a reliable engine and can easily get 155 HP.

Cheers,:beer;:beer;

CHARIOT OF DOOM

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Excellent, thanks Kraven.

I have a DTR subscription and a PCIII so I will wait patiently for the new map. Had my 08D8 with the 2010 top end out last weekend in Valemount (BC) and the power was off from the original 08 motor. It ran excellent and very smooth but the top end wasn't there. Now I know exactly what to do.

For those who don't have a DTR subscription, GET-IT, it's worth every penny.

Once again, thanks Kraven, I'm feeling much better now that we have a reliable engine and can easily get 155 HP.

Cheers,:beer;:beer;

do you have to use a computer or can you adjust fuel while riding it.

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Pc-5 mapping and autotune

do you have to use a computer or can you adjust fuel while riding it.

With the PC-5 alone ($ 365.00) you need the computer to make accurate adjustments to the fuel map.

If you purchase the PC-5 from www.dynotechresearch.com , DYNOTECH JIM supplies you with the CORRECT map (at NO additional charge and any updated maps will be also made available at no additional charge) based on his numerous dyno tests. Now after that you can "tweak" the map from there should you desire to do so, although probably not neccesary.

With the Autotune option piggybacked onto the PC-5 ($250.00 extra + weld the fitting into your exhaust pipe for the BOSCH O2 sensor that's included, + the $365.00 for the PC-5) simply set the A/F @ 12:1 or 12.5:1 and you're pretty much done, pull the rope and go.:D

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Standard equipment

That is some good info, not to imprest with the first dnyo. Should have been at 154 the first time, shouldnt? with out the pcv.

AGREED!

However, as long as POLARIS supplies a RELIABLE motor, I personally am not too upset about having to purchase a fuel controller.

Heck, look at all the other accesories we put on our sleds from saddlebags, windshield bags, gas can holders, skid plates, etc, that arguably SHOULD have come standard.

Just my thoughts

Last edited:

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I guess Polaris must be airing on the safe side with the 2010 maps... I have an 09 assault with 2010 updates. Ran ok last weekend but felt rich. Still bogs in mid range sometimes if you chop the throttle. I may pull the domes and look at the port wash to see if in fact it is running rich. I would swear the mid range bog is a lean condition though. The mapping would have to be way off to dump enough fuel to make you almost go over the bars. It acts like it starves for fuel when the butterfly are chopped open.

Or pulled the choke, (extreme rich condition)

Thanks for the mapping info, if Polaris can't get it right....

I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
Sounds good, can't wait for him to post up the info now.

I killed a kid on a Ski-doo snow cross sled in a drag race this weekend and was thinking that my sled must be making really good power.

First of all he is 80#'s lighter than me. I don't know much about Doo XP chassis snow cross sleds, but he is a sponsored and one of the top racers in Alaska. His sled comes with only a 5 gallon fuel tank, carbs instead of F/I, no oil inj so he has to pre-mix gas, no reverse, etc. He said it has 130 HP stock and at this time it is stock. My D-8 has electric start, foam removed from underhood, full SLP exhaust & intake, 40g clutch weights, and some venting. He was almost out of fuel, I had 3/4 tank, 1.5 gallons of extra gas, and all my usual back country gear, food, shovel, saw, food in the muffpot, etc.

I figured I was at least 200#'s heavier than him so power to weight I thought I might loose, but I didn't. :)

Oh and his Doo has lower gears so he has a 70 mph top speed.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Bummer to hear the stock setting isn't pulling any more HP than last year. With the trend of fuel injection in everything from sleds to dirt and street bikes fuel controllers continually gain momentum as the tuning tool of choice. 10hp is more than you get from a pipe! And when you consider the hp loss at altitude you really want all the juice you can get.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
[/U][/B]

AGREED!

However, as long as POLARIS supplies a RELIABLE motor, I personally am not too upset about having to purchase a fuel controller.

Heck, look at all the other accesories we put on our sleds from saddlebags, windshield bags, gas can holders, skid plates, etc, that arguably SHOULD have come standard.

Just my thoughts

very true very true!!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
After spending some time studying Jim's testing and the PCV capabilities I'm thoroughly convinced of the following:

Polaris lost 800 motors because they were trying to meet EPA emissions on their fleet. The mid-range is controlled by the lower injectors on the 800 CFI. The mid-range is known to be lean, which caused the burn down on sleds. I think Polaris had to lean out to meet a particular EPA standard on that sled as well as their fleet. Now it sounds like they are going to flood the 800 to make sure it doesn't burn down.

Hopeful:

I'm hoping that the PCV along with the Polaris 800 update will yield numbers like Kraven posted for all. In addition to this, the PCV will allow a person who knows what they are doing (Jim @ DynoTech) to create a map where certain points are leaned out. This would create good HP for short runs (like drag racing or hill climbs).

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Oh the things id do to have that map by thursday would sicken most normal men lol

Make your own! It's very simple if you add an o2 gauge. Or buy the autotune package.
Actually making your own for your sled is the way to go. All sleds are not created equal

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
So if stock is running rich would it be safe to say with SLP single, can and air horn it might be closer to correct a/f at that point?

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
Make your own! It's very simple if you add an o2 gauge. Or buy the autotune package.
Actually making your own for your sled is the way to go. All sleds are not created equal

You got a great point there. The bung is already in my pipe so I guess it would be pretty simple. Sounds like it could be fun really!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Lol, Overnight delivery!!

It can be emailed!

You have to have the PCV for the auto tune. I'm thinking that a guy with the auto tune could generate a map and then transfer the same fuel changes at each throttle position to the PCIII setup so that person had the same map. Sounds good in theory.

So if stock is running rich would it be safe to say with SLP single, can and air horn it might be closer to correct a/f at that point?

I think it is more complicated. The A/F ratio can be measure at different throttle positions and RPM's. It's not just one overall lean/rich measurement (i.e. last year the 800's were lean in the mid-range only).

Premium Features