• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP! broke off skid bolts

A

addam27

Dec 9, 2008
While changing the track I broke off two bolts in the skid while trying to remove it from the sled, I think someone glued them in or something. Thie skid is out but how do I get whats left of the bolts out of the inner rod? one bolt sticks out a bit and one does not.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
Drill out the center of the bolts and thake your time to keep the hole centered, heat up the bolt, and then use an easy out to remove them. You might be able to heat up the bolt that sticks out a bit and grab onto it with a pair of vise grips and remove it.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
the shafts will slide out of the suspension. if it is just loctite then you can just heat them up and beable to spin them out with a screwdriver or pick. if they are cross threaded then you may need new shafts. what year is the sled?

D-rail

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2008
Duluth, MN
I had problems with the 7/16" bolts coming loose, wobbling, and then breaking off, I took the old bolts out, usually a drill will get most of it, then a dremel tool with a carbide bit for the rest (wear gloves!), and I drilled and tapped for 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I made some special keepers out of steel that fit over the hex of the bolt and put a small plate behind to even the load to the chassis, then lightly tacked the keepers in place onto the backing plate with a weld or two. The plate rests against the floorboard, so it will not spin out. Just weld enough to hold them down, easy to grind off to get the skid out as needed. Been a few years, still on the same bolts and keeper/plate set, had them off many times to rebuild stuff. Grease/Never Sieze the heck out of everything.

Premium Features