• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01' Ski-Doo 800 H.M. 151 Tech Help Needed

P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
Hi there, first of all I'd like to say thanks for the great support you folks offer the public.

I'm helping a buddy of mine set up his sled for the season & insist on using quality products. He has a 01'Ski-Doo Summit 800 w/151 track, no RER. All stock w/the exception of V-Force 3 reeds, MBRP race can & Simmons skis , & bar risers (prior owner installed).
We ride mostly 3-6 K, boondocking & hill climbing as soon & agressive as possible.
I know this sled needs to be clutched, jetted, fresh air kit at very least. (plus the norm) He's planning on buying new maybe next season or so, so I havn't been able to talk him in to the Team conversion but still needs proper springs etc. in what he has. His rider weight is heavy @ 265 & wants this sled to respond best right out of the gate for quick response. I am aware that’s asking a lot of the 800 for his weight, but can be done. I'm also thinking of dropping 2 teeth off his gearing & am not sure if the chain has to be replaced or not on that model.
So I "m looking for some help landing the correct parts as suggested as soon as possible. In fact I believe he will order today if possible.
I appreciate any help here & hope to hear from you soon.

Good Day---Don Gair

Last edited:
P
Nov 20, 2008
Drop and roll is the best bang for your buck on that chassis. Racers edge makes a killer one. Drop the gearing to 2.10 -1 at least and clutch it for weight. It will be a brand new sled that can keep up to the newer ones.

P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
Thanks for the imput !

I know he's a little more anxious than to spend the time doing the drop & roll. Things would be different had we started this last month !
Can you help get me in the ballpark on clutching & jetting with what he has & weighs ? ( we are doing different rear springs) Also thoughts on fresh air mod, & can that sled be dropped in gear ratio without replacing both sprockets & chain ? Thinking 8" wheels in the back also.

Thanks again---Proflow

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
If the DPM is working properly you shouldn't have to monkey around with jetting much, if at all.

If it is a Highmark it should already have a 19t top in there. If it doesn't, put one in with a new 72 link chain.

Bar risers are a must. I used Rox on mine. They work with the original flat top on the steering post without any additional adapters.

For intake, just add Flowrites into the dash where the fuel and temp gauges would be. Leave the airbox alone. You will just open a can of worms with jetting and driveability if you mess with it.

Can't help much with clutching as mine is a 700. Most guys would run around a straight 47* or maybe a 48-44* helix.

My $.02. Hope it helps.

If you can find a 159 track I would setback the skid 4" and put it in. Helps approach angle a bunch.

Send a PM to Big John. He's the Ski Doo guru.

Last edited:
P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
Thanks for the Imput !

This is a good start, I P.M.'d Big John requesting some clutch help.
Ultimately it would be nice to bring his sled over for a few days & have landed these parts in advance. Who here is best to order from guys ?
Sorry for any lame questions, but Ive mostly been riding RMK's ! Not brand loyal by any means, thats just what feels right to me !

Thanks again---Proflow

P
Nov 20, 2008
Divide your bottom gear number by your top 42/19= 2.21-1 ratio which will pick a big man outta the hole easily. SLP has great clutch kits but if you talk to Curtis @ fastrax he can probably do better at matching weight and riding style. The guy just really knows is stuff.

if your not going to drop and roll just gear it right and clutch it right, after hes pissed right off then drop and roll it. Dont waste allot of money on power when you cant get it to the ground.

My .02

P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
Divide your bottom gear number by your top 42/19= 2.21-1 ratio which will pick a big man outta the hole easily. SLP has great clutch kits but if you talk to Curtis @ fastrax he can probably do better at matching weight and riding style. The guy just really knows is stuff.

if your not going to drop and roll just gear it right and clutch it right, after hes pissed right off then drop and roll it. Dont waste allot of money on power when you cant get it to the ground.

My .02

Thanks for the heads up on the gearing. Sounds as though I may not need to make a change there other than Amsoil & adj.
So, I would love to drop & roll this sled, it would be over his max money spent on this if I did. As he will likely be on a newer sled within a few seasons.
Pretty much looking for spring , helix info etc. now. I'll see what Curtis says.

Thanks--Proflow

P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
I spoke w/Big John this A.M.
Sounds like we have a game plan. I'll keep you guys posted on what we come up with !
Thanks---Proflow

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
proflow writes) I'm helping a buddy of mine set up his sled for the season & insist on using quality products.
Joe writes) dalton helix's are the highest quality metal and surface hardness on the market. The surface of dalton helix will outlast clutch wear parts.

proflow writes) I know this sled needs to be clutched...so I havn't been able to talk him in to the Team conversion but still needs proper springs etc.
Joe writes)Secondary alternative

proflow writes)in what he has. His rider weight is heavy @ 265 & wants this sled to respond best right out of the gate for quick response. I am aware that’s asking a lot of the 800 for his weight, but can be done.
Joe writes) Yes can be done, and launch hard enough to stand the sled up on its tail if he likes.

proflow writes) I'm also thinking of dropping 2 teeth off his gearing & am not sure if the chain has to be replaced or not on that model.
Joe writes) The 800 summit sport had 21:43 74P chain. 800 summit x 21:43 74P chain. 800 Highmark 19:43 72P chain
If going from the 21 to 19 then needs the 72p chain.
Ideally the most efficient chain setup would be the 21:47 (2.24 ratio) with a 76Pchain for the least amount of chain angle in the case.
next would be 20:46 w/74P chain (2.30 ratio), or 20:45 w/74P chain (2.25 ratio) or 19:44 w/74p chain (2.32 ratio)

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
The larger gear diameters reduce chain case heat.
The elements of having a longer chain is longer wear life (less revolutions/time) and reduced chain angle (less amplitude in direction change)

In the final analysis what you have right now will be fine, just if you were to run hard you'll feel a warm chain case - then if you were to flip the sled on its side and change the gear set right on the hill going to the larger diameters and go run around for an hour, running hard as you were - you would find the chain case runs cooler - just some of my own testing in revelstoke in 2004 and back home here in 05.

P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
New Question

I remember back in those days my other buds same machine had a recall on the top end. If I remember correctly they swapped out the pistons & rings.
Any info on this ?

Thanks--Proflow

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
Instead of doing a drop and roll why not set the skid back and achieve the same thing. This will make a world of difference and dosn't cost much or take much to do.
Ya there was a recall, I can't remember if they changed pistons and rings or just the rings. You should check the compression.
That's a good sled, I still have mine but its not so stock anymore.

Premium Features