• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris update

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Just pulled the mag side valve and it looks like the last one. Not cool. I suppose now they will be denying me another fix due to my SLP pipe. Old stocker going back on! Do we all just build an 860 or buy a Cat or Ski-dont? I love mine when its right. It sounds like it's going to be a long season already.

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
It sounds like your making some assumptions. I haven't heard anything about the dealer denying wty for having a slp single pipe. Call Curtis at Carls and gets some facts. At no time did they tell me that my wty would be void because of my slp single. They told me that it was OK. All I am saying is, get the facts before rumors get started.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
It sounds like your making some assumptions. I haven't heard anything about the dealer denying wty for having a slp single pipe. Call Curtis at Carls and gets some facts. At no time did they tell me that my wty would be void because of my slp single. They told me that it was OK. All I am saying is, get the facts before rumors get started.

Same dealer (not Curtis), and ok they gave me a little strip of paper that stated Polaris "might" not warranty engine problems (not specifically this problem) if I continued to run the SLP single. They said the can was fine but not the pipe. To me that says they will probably deny any engine problems if you didn't remove it post update. Call me crazy, but why bother recommending that if there wasn't something to it. I want to be wrong here because this really sucks for us. I'm usually an optimist, but things aren't looking good at this point.

H
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not sure but I think most 2 strox , get some new wear paterns on there pistons.
I 'm not an expert, I used to pull chainsaws apart and some good runners had some scuffing . Just don't want to jinks this update yet.
As far as some of the starting issues , I do it some times if not pulled hard enough and it dosn't start on the second pull you are screwed , specialy if cold , the map when warming up is pig rich and will dump fuel and can easy
flood.
I am not saying this is the case . If it doesn't start in 2 pulls I usaly add air .

L

Letitsnow***907

Jan 9, 2008
Soldotna, Alaska
I guess maybe I had better not sell my 07 M8 just yet! I just bought a 09 Assault and it is in the shop waiting for the miracle update. Maybe I should tell them to just put the pistons in and never mind the re-mapping.
OR MAYBE I should sell the Assualt before every one reads this thread;)
I was super excited to get back on a Polaris, but not if this is going to happen! What to do?

S

shabs

Feb 8, 2009
yeah ive fouled mine a couple times unloading it when coolant temp was above 90 degrees there a real f**ker when there cold thats for sure, so i let mine warm up till i can feel the hot coolant go threw the heat exchangers in the tunnel, havent fouled a plug since. Hopefully all your experiencing is flooding due to the map being too rich at cold idle........ Did those guys with the scoring on the piston have issues with old pistons burndowns and det or scoring ? and if so did they just hone out cylinders or did you get new ones?

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
Looking at the small marks on the piston, they look just like my old pistons that come out before the update. The dealer told me those were ok. You couldn't feel them but, they were visible like the photos. When this issue first got started, they discussed piston scuffing and the pistons were actaully displacing metal. Can you feel that the metal is displaced on your piston. If these scuffs/marks are the same, it possibly could just be normal wear.

XPWY

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
In my experience, warranty issues with aftermarket accessories is totally dependent on your dealer. My dealer, and most that I know of will honor the manufacturer's warranty for all bolt-on mods. If you have a good dealer, anything short of big bore kits and turbos should be fine.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
In rre: to the post about plug fowling.if you just had the update done the dealer may/should have added oil to the gas. You said you added another cup??

I had a rebuild last year and I was told they didnt put oil in my gas so i did. I later found out that they had or so they claimed. I went thru 6 sets of plugs. It fouled at a certain elevation +/- 200ft..i was in the trees and couldnt get on it in there. After I filled up the next day and had packed 10sets of new plugs with me, it ran fine.

It amazes me that after all the testing that Polaris said they did they didnt see any problems and some are showing up so quickly.

Note: My friends sled would not except the new map. iafter doing the update they checked and the old map was still there. They ended up having to replace his computer.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I don't consider that normal wear although I've seen it on Polaris pistons a few times. I don't know why the say that is OK. :confused:
I work on quite a few dirt bikes that never show wear like that even after seasons of use and abuse. I just pulled a piston from a CR250 with A LOT of use that had not a hint of scoring and the coating was still intact after 3 seasons. That coating shouldn't be just for break in, it should be a last line of defense if something goes wrong. At least that is how I look at it. :rolleyes:
The Polaris 800's even the earlier models seem to generate an excessive amount of heat around the exhaust port. By excessive I am trying to state that it seems like the piston and cylinder cannot dissipate it fast enough as that is where I always see the scuffing. Some contribute this too possibly a late opening exhaust valve. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.
Take your precautions. Break in and warm up thoroughly. Run your scratchers. If you get the option, I also prefer to run engine ice rather than standard coolant or at least add some water wetter.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Looking at the small marks on the piston, they look just like my old pistons that come out before the update. The dealer told me those were ok. You couldn't feel them but, they were visible like the photos. When this issue first got started, they discussed piston scuffing and the pistons were actaully displacing metal. Can you feel that the metal is displaced on your piston. If these scuffs/marks are the same, it possibly could just be normal wear.

Man I hope so! They don't look deep but are definitely noticeable. This sounds promising though. Thanks for the info. Not trying to scare anyone, just don't want to have problems, that's why I went out yesterday with no off trail good stuff! Keep your fingers crossed boys!:beer;

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Polaris was calling for a specific honing tool that is expensive and I have heard that some dealers dont have that specific one and will go a different route with some other honing tool that is considerably cheaper.

D
Dec 25, 2007
Iowa
Polaris was calling for a specific honing tool that is expensive and I have heard that some dealers dont have that specific one and will go a different route with some other honing tool that is considerably cheaper.

That may be, but as long as clearances are in line, the finish of the cylinder shouldn't do what is pictured.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
In my experience, warranty issues with aftermarket accessories is totally dependent on your dealer. My dealer, and most that I know of will honor the manufacturer's warranty for all bolt-on mods. If you have a good dealer, anything short of big bore kits and turbos should be fine.

Agreed ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I had a GREAT dealer for approx 10years,(they went out of business in 2003) drove 1 1/2 hours each way just for the service. My sleds have ALWAYS had bolt-on mods, NOTHING was a problem. :face-icon-small-hap

On one trip I had a 1996 STORM 800, took out a piston was up in Northern Wisc, dealer there refused to warranty it citing the mods.:mad: Brought it home to my dealer, got it warrantied , NO problem.:D

BTW, the dealer said POLARIS never pushed for the parts to be returned for proof, they sometimes asked however if that part was "accidentally tossed in the trash" the warranty was not denied. Now the last time I dealt with them was 2003 wondering if anything has changed with warranty and POLARIS.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
I seriously felt ill when I pulled that valve. :(

I installed the EGT's right when I got it back from the dealer and even at idle it was 40 - 50 degrees hotter on that side.
what was your outside air temp that day? Also...what position are your ethanol, wires in?

T
Nov 28, 2007
That may be, but as long as clearances are in line, the finish of the cylinder shouldn't do what is pictured.

I'm also thinking some of this issue is a clearance problem. What does the top of the piston look like, is it detonating at all? Takes a good hone to get a "round" nikisil bore, that stuff is real hard.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
What elevation?

1500 - 3000'

No way that's normal.

This could be important. If the old cylinders were re-used, try to get some details from your dealer on the condition and whether or not they were honed.

I just dropped it off and they were supposed to be new cylinder's, whether or not they were I don't know.

what was your outside air temp that day? Also...what position are your ethanol, wires in?

Started out at -10f warmed up to +2f. I forgot to check the wires before I took it back, in fact I never looked when I got it back from them a couple weeks ago.

Premium Features