• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust valve's Leave them or not

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
What do you guys think about the exhaust valves? Should they stay or go on the turbo sleds.

We leave them in. Lost to much mileage and top end with them out or blocked. The new 3D rave valves are controled by soleinoids so they are a very tricky part of a turbo sled. We know that motors run better with them in also and when they are clean and working right. That is why every sled company uses them. Some use a cable some use vaccume some use exhaust gases. so chime in here and let us know your Phlisophy.

S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
keep 'em, no real need to delete powervales unless you want poor mileage and a narrow powerband. look at old dirtbikes from the non PV days, lightswitch.
i see no gain in deleting the powervales imo.

G
Apr 23, 2008
From a racers standpoint, both on the waterbrake and the track dyno.
Turbos with any exhaust port modifier loose power when the modifier is in any position but wide open.
On the track dyno we loose response on bottom with the valves down ...why ?
we loose drive to the turbine when the valve is down. yes the piston sees more pressure but the turbo sees less heat for an istant.
This is all from the drag racers point of view.

reduction of heat and change in wave amplitude are the culprits.
The oems are not building turbos so what they do for the consumer is different than what we do for the turbo customer.
You buy that turbo porsche for fuel mileage and drivability off boost ?
To each his own..

Many atermarket cylinder casters will agree BUT the customer base out west would NOT buy them without the valves.

Hooper, Price and Crankshop all fall into that catagory.. to stay in bussiness and sell to the western market they had to reduce coolant flow and add valves for marketing.

Gus

Last edited:

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Quote from triple7 copied from a different thread

"And thats why there are different kits on the market. Multiple opinions, multiple ways of getting the job done.

Like it or not, the Rave valves on a doo do not have any mechanical form of opening or closing. They are done off of pressure. When boost is built, they are "blown" open. So, if you want a laggy turbo kit, that doesnt build boost until you are well into the rpm band, then you could probably see a gain by leaving the valves in. But, if you want a turbo setup that builds boost instantly and doesnt have much or any lag to boost, then you are dealing with a different animal. The Rave valves will be blown open immediatly and you will not see any gain off the bottom by leaving them operational.

Mind you, if your turbo setup builds boost quickly rather than building boost later, you cannot offset the gain of quick boost with a closed rave valve and not having boost built yet.

As Dave said, fuel economy really hasnt been a problem. I would venture to say that fuel economy would not change between leaving the valves operational or deleting them simply because the turbo setup is building boost damn near instantly and the valves would be blown open.

On a Cat things are a bit different because the valves are mechanically controlled I believe.

My .02

Jake"

Last edited by a moderator:

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
If the valves are blown open as soon as you come on to boost Then just leave them in there is no difference than having them wired open or taken out. Right. Well the valves on the doo are controled by the ecm and solenoids. They can not open until told to do so. the valves are closed all the way up to 6500 rpms then the ecm tells the solenoids to open controlling the exhaust. If the ecm senses that something is wrong the valves, deto, or above 150 degree water temps the valves also also go wide open to help control the heat in the motor and then you lose all bottom end. The laggy turbo or heat to the turbo for the millisecond is not the problem it is the controling of the ecu that tells the valves when to open or close.

if a bellow is blown off what happens then? the valve cannot work and the motor boggs like no other and will not pick up any rpms. this is because the valve cannot control the pressures inside the motor. The valves are a must for in and out of the throttle riding. For drags now that a different subject. Even with the old 670 and 583 we built a cap that would hold pressure on the top side of the valve to keep them closed longer.

gus the reason that we would not buy the cylinders with out the exhuast valves Is because they work in mountain riding. We out west are always blurbing the throttle and blurping and blurping for our riding so you need the quickness of the bottom end. valves make this work. Skidoo found this out on the 9500 blizzard and have not looked back since.

just my .02 different strokes for different folks.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Bryce I see your point and understand your opinion.
When a bellows blows off and the valve TRIES to fall at wot at race boost 15 + the piston is burned on the exhaust edge faster than you can let out. the valve does not fall completely instantly. Its the reason drag race use cannot afford that mistake.
Servo driven as good as it is ,, is still not timed correctly for turbo use. ( could be better is all I'm saying ,,in a good way). communation with a map sensor would fix that and be the new gizzmo for 2010.

IMO gas driven is a potential issue for some and OTHERS,,, Like my friend "driveline" has not had any trouble with is gas valves ever even at 20 psi ?? so go figggger ?

Gus

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, its copied, you should edit it into quotes so people know whats going on, its confusing for most who dont follow all and pay attention to the small things..

i think gus is right on the money with maf sensor controlled valves, might take a long time to figure out, but man, get that going and ill buy some of this stuff from ya!

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
The map sensor is a sick idea for sure. There would probably be a gain in controlling exhaust valves accuratly.

Just as they are, I do not see any reason to keep them. In an XP they open too late in stock form and actually hurt the midrange IMO. When I was playing with NA setups last season we had an ECM mod done that opened the valves quicker and gained a bunch of mid. The issue I see is that the rpm band where the closed exhaust valves are a big advantage is below clutch engagement.

I think the fuel economy gain is negligible personally. Everything about the tune changes with the turbo and if your tune is spot on, you have good economy for the power you are building.

Jake

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Sorry about the copy post there jake I just didn't know how to get it intio this thread. Sorry for the confusion. I knew you could fix it being a mod.

I agree some what on the spot on tune. But when the motor has a closed exhaust port the motor can not pull extra air and fuel until it can get rid of the last burned stuff. so with exhaust valves you do not have the slobbering power jet. The bottom end is cleaner and helps control a bit of the air velocites. that is why you have better fuel mileage. the princiable is just like the variable vane turbo or smaller AR. Smaller outlet better bottom end. more heat more air velocity after open. That equals to better top end. as lond as you dont hold the heat to long.

Premium Features