• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whos riding the "new" update??

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Someone? Anyone get these out on the snow yet? A lot of curious people on here wondering how the update is going to work.
Dyno testing can only keep us happy for so long. :rolleyes: Although, everything I have read has been very positive. Seems the twin ring piston is making a huge difference which is going to hopefully transfer to the snow.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Is anyone even riding yet? Running down the snowpacked road probably won't tell you much.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
09 D8 Updated 163

Took mine out last weekend and put 25-30 miles on it. Ran hard considering that I had a 1/4 tank of old 91 with stabil in it and a quart of oil for the first tank to help with the break in. Too early to tell but it seemed to be unchanged from last season although due to the above situations I would say that it will only continue to pull harder in the next couple hundred miles (ride at 9000+ feet)> Will most likely go back up this weekend. Will let you know if anything changes.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Can anyone even notice byt he seat of their pants what 4-5 hp difference or so feels like after a whole summer of not riding? Just curious, your arse is more sensative than mine... I owuld not feel the difference I don't think...

B

BigTruck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 1, 2007
Maple Valley/North Bend
Can anyone even notice byt he seat of their pants what 4-5 hp difference or so feels like after a whole summer of not riding? Just curious, your arse is more sensative than mine... I owuld not feel the difference I don't think...

Not so worried about the seat of the pants HP feel. More curious if the hesitations, bogs, and detonation is gone?

I know alot of peeps were getting the low elevation cut outs.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Thats what I was hoping for a response. A lot of people on here are worried that the HP won't be the same...

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Last season I put 1000 miles of backcountry riding on my 09 D8 163 (it has SLP setup and a few goodies) and never had any problems what so ever with hesitation, or this mid-range bog that everybody is refering to. As far as HP numbers, my sled pulled 8000 RPM last year and after the updates and putting fresh springs and belt in it is right at 7950 to 8000 still and that's with a 1/4 tank of old fuel and a quart of oil to help it break in. Should get better in the next couple of rides I would assume. And no, this wasn't done on the trail. Made a few pulls up some smaller hills after 3-4 heat cycles.....
Hope this helps?>>

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Last season I put 1000 miles of backcountry riding on my 09 D8 163 (it has SLP setup and a few goodies) and never had any problems what so ever with hesitation, or this mid-range bog that everybody is refering to. As far as HP numbers, my sled pulled 8000 RPM last year and after the updates and putting fresh springs and belt in it is right at 7950 to 8000 still and that's with a 1/4 tank of old fuel and a quart of oil to help it break in. Should get better in the next couple of rides I would assume. And no, this wasn't done on the trail. Made a few pulls up some smaller hills after 3-4 heat cycles.....
Hope this helps?>>

try getting the rpms up a little more with the slp single..I think you will like the results...on mine it has always pulled hardest over 8300(I set mine to pull 8450)

Y
Jan 22, 2008
rode my update 800 10/11/09 on Togwotee. There was a good amount of snow 4 foot or better. I thought the update was as strong as the non updated engine, it was hard to tell, being the first ride and with pre-mix. The engine pulled nice and 6200-6400 rpm hiccup was definatley gone. I thought overall the difference was not enough to be concerned with. With more snow piling up I will have a better idea after this weekend.

B

BigTruck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 1, 2007
Maple Valley/North Bend
Good feedback for sure... Keep it coming.

I know that alot of peeps complained of the low elevation hesitation, am wondering if that is gone as well. I wont be riding for a while yet so just trying to get input...

Thanks again.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I'm riding on mine, don't have very many miles on yet but it seems strong. As strong as last year or a bit better, hard to tell as the rest have said seeing as the last time I rode with the old engine was last year. And the first while it always feels like a lot of power. So it's hard to say power wise, but my top end is a lot crisper, and holds better RPM's running pre mix than it did on non pre mixed gas last year. But I have only run in wide open for short distances. cant comment on if it will hold R's for longer distances. Last year it wouldn't. The mid range seemed to hesitate a lot on the first two rides, but it has gotten a lot better. Any hesitation I get I'm blaming on the pre mix. Can't complain.

W
Nov 28, 2007
Wyoming
My husband and I put about 60 miles or so on the update last weekend. They both seem to run similar and have the same mods. Heat fade killed it last season, and coming off a M1000 that ran tip top and losing a couple hundred RPM's everytime the Dragon was worked hard in the deep left me wanting more. I'm just hoping for a trouble free ride. We have a good base started so hoping the next storm lays down enough to see. I'm always leary of the reflash updates, at our altitude they never work no matter the brand has been my experience. Anyone running any great clutch set ups on the Dragon that works, I think there is alot of room for improvement there.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
My husband and I put about 60 miles or so on the update last weekend. They both seem to run similar and have the same mods. Heat fade killed it last season, and coming off a M1000 that ran tip top and losing a couple hundred RPM's everytime the Dragon was worked hard in the deep left me wanting more. I'm just hoping for a trouble free ride. We have a good base started so hoping the next storm lays down enough to see. I'm always leary of the reflash updates, at our altitude they never work no matter the brand has been my experience. Anyone running any great clutch set ups on the Dragon that works, I think there is alot of room for improvement there.

try this thread..several good setups...
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128754

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Its just not right that you boys in the lower 48 are out rallying and we in the cold north are still sucking dirt and 40 degree weather doing nothing but seat ridin...it just aint right....:(

Premium Features