• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Plugged Exhaust Valves?

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
I read this in another post for a 700 dragon. I am wondering why polaris put those hoses on there in the first place. Is this a bad idea? What are the effects? Good and bad.

Plug the exhaust purge hoses coming off the exhaust valves, all they do is hold heat in the motor and cause you to lose performance by delaying the opening of the exhaust valves, so now it will be like the exhaust valve set-ups on the older 2001-2005 models.

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
it's because of emissions (damn EPA) the hoses go to that little canister, at 5800 it closes and the normal pressure from the engine opens the valves, like the older sleds. If the canister gets too much oil and carbon, it can stick open thus no pressure, thus valves don't open. It happened on my 900. you can cap off the hoses but the valves might open to early and create a mid-range bogg. you would have to change the spring. Don't unhook the wires to the canister. It will sent a code the computer.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
it's because of emissions (damn EPA) the hoses go to that little canister, at 5800 it closes and the normal pressure from the engine opens the valves, like the older sleds. If the canister gets too much oil and carbon, it can stick open thus no pressure, thus valves don't open. It happened on my 900. you can cap off the hoses but the valves might open to early and create a mid-range bogg. you would have to change the spring. Don't unhook the wires to the canister. It will sent a code the computer.

X2^^^^^^^^^^^

That was me that posted that. Just use the exhaust springs from an older 800

You could also try installing a simple 1/4" shut-off (into the back side of the P.T.O. head) into the cooling line that heats the throttle bodies. Running hot antifreeze heating up the intake charge isn't neccesary unless you're in real snowy,dusty conditions, I.M.O.

BTW, the coolant shut-off comes stock on 2007 800 Ski-Doo's and others

Hope this helps.

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
More

Supposing that one would cap off these hoses, leave the wires hooked up to the canister to keep the ecu happy, and install what i'm assuming are older 800 springs that are stiffer, what are we gaining? Other than avioding the eventual plugging up of the canister that (to me so far) dose the same job? Thanks for all the input guys i'm trying to get my head wrapped around all this new to me efi stuff.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Supposing that one would cap off these hoses, leave the wires hooked up to the canister to keep the ecu happy, and install what i'm assuming are older 800 springs that are stiffer, what are we gaining? Other than avioding the eventual plugging up of the canister that (to me so far) dose the same job? Thanks for all the input guys i'm trying to get my head wrapped around all this new to me efi stuff.

I prefer to plug the exhaust valves individually, if you plug the "purge" hose coming off the "canister/solenoid" the exhaust valves will still be tied to each other.:cool:

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
What is the advatage of doing this?

I'm assuming you're asking why plug them individually, and if so, the reason is that so that pressure from one exhaust valve doesn't impact the other cylinder.

Guys have tried them both ways says it doesn't matter (and maybe it doesn't) that's why I mentioned I perfer to cap/plug them individually, and and since there's no downside to it, why not I.M.H.O.??

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
Why plug them at all

More specifically Why are we plugging them in the first place? Is it going to make my sled run differently? Better? More top end? less bottom end torque? What is the function of that little oil soaked bugger and what is he doing to me? LOL!:beer;:confused:

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
Also

If as stated above and you unhooked the canister from the wire harness the ecu would know it. So if it's opening at 5800 rpm wouldn't the computer know that it is opened or closed? And if so dosen't the fuel and/or spark change accordingly? Maybe this system is not that advanced? I don't want to go plugging these off and get a lean WOT condition. And I'm done early this season. :(

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
If as stated above and you unhooked the canister from the wire harness the ecu would know it. So if it's opening at 5800 rpm wouldn't the computer know that it is opened or closed? And if so dosen't the fuel and/or spark change accordingly? Maybe this system is not that advanced? I don't want to go plugging these off and get a lean WOT condition. And I'm done early this season. :(

I think you may have some misconceptions here.

All the solenoid does is delay the opening of the exhaust valves. Plug the hoses and your acceleration will improve, top end remains unchanged as the valves would already be fully open either way, thus NO chance @ LEAN burndown @ W.O.T. since exhaust valves are fully open either way.;)

If you want to convince yourself this works, bring your sled out and run it along side a "test mule" sled. Stop, take some little mini-vice grips, clamp off the hoses, race again and experience the results for yourself.:cool:

It works, plain and simple.:face-icon-small-hap

Look back at the 2001-2004 V.E.S. sleds, no purge hoses. As VFRtrader stated in post#2 it's there for emmisions reasons, NOT for performance improvement.

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
Ok

I'm following you now. So did you have to get the early 800 ves springs for yours or not? In your experiance what is to soon to open rpm wise? I've experianced the low end bog on my (no longer with us) M1000. And would rather not go down that road. Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I've got an 07 600 HO carb.

My question is: If I were to try this, I'd want to get the exhaust springs from an 05 or older 600, not an 800 right?

Correct on the bold, on the 600

Also get the exhaust spring for the elevation you're running at, usually higher elevations have lighter springs than lower elevation set-ups.

I usually ride @ 1200' (U.P. Michigan) when I brought my 2002 800 EDGE-X to Yellowstone, I changed the exhaust valve springs to a lighter tension (STOCK POLARIS SPRING) and it was definitely YELLOW but I don't have the part #

Sorry I don't have a part # guys, perhaps mountainhorse can chime in, I thought he posted a list of exhaust springs available some time ago????????

Hope this info helps.

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Pence, WI
If you plug the vent coming out of the exhaust valve wouldn't that NOT allow the valve to open? :confused:

The vent is UNDER the diaphragm, where the exhaust pressure builds to open the valve The "canister" is a solenoid valve which is being held open to allow exhaust to escape until 5800 RPM's are reached and then it closes to allow full opening.

If the solenoid hangs up or there is a leak in the hose system then the valves may not open in that rpm range and you could have some bogging.

I have theorized that leaving both manifolded together (instead of plugging individually) could possibly balance the operation of the valves somewhat similiar to what a boost bottle did for the carbs, but I'm not sure.

A quick test is to plug the discharge hose that comes off the solenoid and just goes into the belly pan on the Polaris (vented to atmosphere ) and put a 1/4- 20 bolt that has a solid shank for a plug (I used an 1-1/2 long)

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
This is a good thread. I have an 08 and a 09 Dragon 8 and will try this on both of them. I have had continual RPM issues with my 08 and was wondering if this could have contributed to this.

D
Reason for delaying valves opening

If polaris delays valve opening RPM for emissions , can we assume that disableing this may help prevent the lean midrange....Or is this a fine tuning of the torque curve for these new motors....I just installed a digatron to help with dialing in my '07 600 this winter but has anybody with EGT's experimented with plugging this vent....Also , for the 600 carb the RPM is delayed till 6700 or 7200 depending on throttle position

Premium Features