• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Easy...

Mountainhorse,
did not mean to try and throw your topic off trail...I just think that most riders that have aftermarket exhaust are not going to remove it and install their stock system back on...So the next best thing would be to try to get as many riders as we can to respect parking lots and trail's where other outdoor recreationalist gather...And yes I do have a set of SLP twins on the wifes' 700 that dump into 1 can and it is still a bit louder than stock...Again great thread, we need to get as many people thinking about this as we can or we will keep losing great riding areas.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I am having a hard time understanding that louder pipes do not mean more horse power.

Yes...I can see where many would have this view.

A 2-stroke tuned expansion chamber exhast system is actually pretty hard for most people to understand. Not like putting a free flow exhaust on your truck (which nowadays will net a performance loss as well if not done correctly too)

I agree ... you made a VERY good presentation...

If you have an axe to grind..... don't do it on the trail or mountain..

Do it with contributions to SAWS, letters to congressmen... telling the local stores that you are a snowmobiler and their support of your sport equals Your support of their business

Last edited:

stcatman

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
cottonwood idaho
its alright to make noise

11 years ago i was seperated from my group in the fog,i rode a ridge shut sled off nothing,did this again,nothing,did this again herd my group of tripple piped thundercats belloring in a bowl,was very glad to hear them,loud pipes save lives,thats how you know wear everyones at. What about the loud airplanes that fly overhead?? should they not be alowed to fly?? if you dont like it maybe you should take up golf and ride a electric golf cart

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I find the "loud pipes save lives" statement laughable (several have said it...this isn't directed at any one person).

This thread is WAY off topic...and also points out a major reason we are losing more and more land every year.

As a user group, sledders are one of the most passive of any when it comes to banning together for a common cause (preventing land closure). It is sad to sit at the snow shows and watch group after group walk right past the SAWS booth with no interest in adding their name to the membership ranks of the primary organization that is fighting to keep public lands open to ALL users....especially when it's FREE!!!

There are always going to be bad apples in every group that dont get it, but if we dont pull our heads out of our a$$es as a whole, there will be so little land left to ride on, we might as well all buy a subaru and take up showshoeing!!

The bottom line is that the east coast politicians want to add as much wilderness to the books as they can. The greenies support the enviro-groups that support the politicians. They vote with their membership numbers and their dollars. And every time you piss one of them off, they join the Sierra Club. Still think your loud pipes dont matter??

If you dont think your actions matter, sit tight, because tomorrow you wont have anywhere to ride.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
What about the loud airplanes that fly overhead?? should they not be alowed to fly?? if you dont like it maybe you should take up golf and ride a electric golf cart

Do you think that they don't complain about airplanes?? Because, I'm here to tell you that they DO!! In a recent article in a CO newspaper - about pending closures - the readers comments had more than one person complaining about the noise from jets flying over "their quiet space of nature". Give me a frickin' break!!

But here's the thing....they will NOT be able to re-route jet traffic. That just isn't going to happen. Can they shut every other "noisy" recreation down?? Well, it's certainly a more winable battle, isn't it? :(

J
Feb 11, 2009
california
wow, not sure where to start,off topic i guess. i dont think we need to worry someday all of rights will taken away slowy:mad: and everybody knows the people iam talking about that are trying to kill it for us sleders. and it will cost us our freedom to ride, well until then rip it on the moutian and who cares what people think:p. do what you what to do, its still a free country right??:confused: have as much fun as possible while your still here on this great place they call earth:D:beer;:face-icon-small-hap

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
It looks like we are going to be defeated from within--as soon as any save the planet group gets their hands on agenda like this it will be pointed out that some of us are trying to take freedoms from others of the same sport.It is like I said before losing access to public lands is going to happen it doesn't matter how quiet the machines are.Listen, nobody likes the obnoxious fly buzzing around annoying everyone and those with no trail manners or those who believe that they are the only people who deserve to be out enjoying winter sports,and you will still have this type of person be it quiet or loud exhaust.Open expansion chambers or exhaust systems with no baffles whatsoever should be for race circuit only which only makes sense.If it becomes a requirement that your snowmobile can only be so loud it will only be insult to injury because restrictions will be continually added to public land use.For those of you who choose not to run a lightweight silencer or aftermarket exhaust recognize and understand that those of us who do will not be the demise of snowmobiling,lobbyist and extremist have already decided to take as much freedom from the honest American as possible.:cool:

J

JohnnyQuestUtah

Oct 30, 2008
Union Bench, Utah
BRaaaapp............:eek:

golf027.jpg

peace-
johnny

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
ignorance is sad.

looking at the picture, some might say crappy welding is too... ;)

We need to find out how to make a composite muffler. Quiet = big! Period. You want something quiet, the easy way is big. Problem, is the big = heavy. I have a titanium muffler, and it is pretty light, it is loud though. I am going to be making some little inserts to quiet it down, but I would rather make it larger if I could. Something like the suitcase mufflers in stock sleds but ultra light would be great. Or just like my stock one, but not 20 pounds. I don't see metals getting us there though. Cost seems like a big concern, I wonder what some high temp composites would do? There is a tangent for ya...

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Here are a couple of sites that you might want to look at if you think that LOUD doesn't matter:

Snowlands
Snowlands Network is the only organization in California and Nevada dedicated to representing the needs of backcountry skiers, snowshoers, snowboarders and other outdoors people who value the physical and spiritual joys of winter and winter travel using their own muscle power. Our goal is to promote safety and solitude on every winter adventure.

Snowlands Network was established in March, 2001, to advocate for the needs of all those who venture into the winter backcountry in search of peace and solitude, and for the winter wildland environment. Our membership includes backcountry skiers, snowshoers and others who revel in the joy of muscle-powered recreation in nature’s winter wonderland.

We believe that in order to protect our current winter recreation opportunities, and expand them where we have few or none, we must engage the Forest Service and others in a dialog and in some cases challenge their management decisions. Protecting the winter wildland environment, the natural sights, sounds, fauna and flora, goes hand-in-hand with protecting opportunities for winter recreation. We work with other like-minded organizations to attain our goals.

The headwaters of Forestdale Creek, east of Carson Pass on Highway 88 and shown in the above photo, is now closed to snowmobile use for nearly the entire snow season because of a 17-year effort by Snowlands Network (and its predecessor the Nordic Voice). The south side of the Mount Rose Highway at Tahoe Meadows is closed to snowmobile use because of our efforts. These are two examples of how we serve our membership. Read more about our current projects and past projects to see the many aspects of our advocacy work.

Wow....the below is something I didn't know! Time to get in touch with Amazon!!

Shop here and support Snowlands

Amazon.com logo

Or this place:
Winter Wildlands
Welcome to Winter Wildlands Alliance, the first and only national organization of its kind for human-powered snow sport enthusiasts and winter wildland conservationists. Our aim is to ensure a safe, quiet, tranquil experience for every winter wildlands adventurer, now and always.

We believe winter wildland adventurers and future generations should have sizable areas of public land on which to experience the natural sights, sounds, and winter beauty of public lands free of motorized vehicles, and that our backcountry wildlife habitat should be protected from the negative impacts of motorized intrusion such as snowmobiles. We also believe it is the mandate of federal land-management agencies to responsibly manage motorized access to these cherished assets to ensure their protection for future generations.

We believe that the natural sights and sounds of winter, and especially quiet, that's a resource that the Forest Service should be managing. There needs to be places where we can go into the backcountry and find quiet, get away from all of the city noise. So that's an impact that clearly snowmobiles have.

Another: Swan View
People pulling together
to conserve community, quiet recreation,
water quality, fish, and wildlife.

What We Work For

* To conserve the Peace and Quiet essential to public health and the health of our native ecosystems.

Another......
The Quiet Use Coalition
Noise pollution is steadily increasing throughout our environment. Places of quiet are becoming more and more difficult to find in Colorado or throughout our country. Most Americans live in urban areas -- places which are far from silent. Leaving urban areas to find peace and quiet can be difficult and time-consuming and often requires traveling over long distances. Even the modes of travel used to get away from the din of urban areas can be noisy as well. Highway traffic, commercial airlines, small planes, and trains all operate within environments having relatively high noise levels.
We know that most people visit our public lands to find peace, solitude and freedom from the frustrations and distractions of modern society. The vast majority of public land visitors specifically want to experience natural sights, sounds and smells during their visit. These are quiet users: people and life forms that seek out and depend on natural areas on public lands to hike, fish, relax, view nature and wildlife, escape the hustle of civilization, camp, bicycle, paddle, etc.
We are working for and as a voice of these quiet users, and all those who love and cherish the sensations experienced in a natural outdoor environment.

We create, preserve and promote quiet use areas and opportunities on our public lands and waters.

The public lands and waters sought out to escape civilization; natural and undeveloped open spaces, forests and wilderness areas, have been recently invaded by an explosive growth of personal motorized recreational vehicles (PMRVs). The negative impacts of these machines take many forms; including pulverization or compaction of plants and soil, soil erosion, weed dispersal, stream siltation, disturbance of wildlife, fragmentation of habitat, exhaust emissions, increased fire risk, increased road and trail maintenance, and the endangerment of other human users with excessive speed. But it is the noise generated by these machines that has come to symbolize all of the negative effects they produce and it is that impact which has rallied citizens to form the Quiet Use Coalition.

We know that most people visit our public lands to find peace, solitude and freedom from the frustrations and distractions of modern society. The vast majority of public land visitors specifically want to experience natural sights, sounds and smells during their visit. These are quiet users: people and life forms that seek out and depend on natural areas on public lands to hike, fish, relax, view nature and wildlife, escape the hustle of civilization, camp, bicycle, paddle, etc.
We are working for and as a voice of these quiet users, and all those who love and cherish the sensations experienced in a natural outdoor environment.

We create, preserve and promote quiet use areas and opportunities on our public lands and waters.

The QUC is a spearhead organization of the “Quiet Use Movement” -- which is gaining support and national exposure as concerned citizens organize to send this message to our legislators and public land agencies – “We will take action to prevent assault by noise, pollution and environmental devastation while recreating in our national forest and public lands and waterways.”

I could go on.........there are hundreds of these groups, and they are everywhere. These groups ARE recruiting the general public, and that public is speaking with their pocketbooks.

Last edited:
F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Unless you can make a snowmobile that runs on your own muscle power and sounds like the flutter of a flock of pigeons these people are going to take your right to snowmobiling away anyhow.

B
Nov 10, 2009
Calgary
I got rid of the suitcase and put in a brp can it's a little louder and about 10 lbs lighter. The GOVT should be concentrating on foor print and as sledders we have the most minimal print of all the rec users. We have seen mtn caribou shut down and watched them mosy on. It's when the Heli's are checking their numbers they spook, Our marks disappear and don't scar the land like ATV's 4x4"s ect.

S
If my sled brappps in the woods and there's no hippies around to b!tch about it, should I care what your opinion is on it?

Think of it this way: You wouldn't walk around in yer boxers scratchin' yer arse in the middle of a shopping mall, but at home where the general public ain't gonna see you it's a different story. I guarantee someone will chime in saying that they like doing that in public, but really, just because you like it does not mean society does. That's what this boils down to.

On the "public" internet you're supposed to shake your head and say "oh, I'd never do that", but when you get out in the woods, you blast the ears off those caribou.

Wait, I didn't just say that. I meant to say "you quietly ensure you do not disturb the delicate bambi's" *wink* *wink*.

Last edited:
B
Mar 11, 2008
Trout Lake, WA
2pc4me

there is nothing sweeter than a loud piped triple, someday I'll own one! No matter what you run, the people that ***** about pipe noise will only be happy when they hear .....nothing. Real granola eatin greanies are incensed at the mere thought of a fossil fuel burner in their forest.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
It's been said time and time again and yet it will never change.....WE are our WORST enemy. Most of you will just never get it and like the welfare people your always beotching abougt a few ruin for everyone else.

Premium Features