• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cutting the Fat - XP

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Ok, so I want to put the ol XP on a serious diet.
(so I don't have to, myself!)

I've stripped most of the usual crap off of it.. foam, bracketry, etc..

Where would you go next?

Holz/Timber Skid?
Fox Floats?
Lexan Panels?
Tunnels look like they add weight..
Carbon Fuel Tank?
Boss Seat?
Ti A-Arms?

Mild to wild suggestions invited..

Thx in Advance for any ideas!

MtnDoo

08_XP.jpg

Last edited:

Dbook

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Knowing your sled Corey I would say the skid will give you the most loss and performance after that it will be diminishing returns. The tank will take off some weight but $$$.

Lexan panels scare me due to the fact that they are in the snow all the time with the XP. I never had great luck with a Lexon hood on a ZX chassis let alone use them on something that uses the panel's as the lower side protection too.

I personally am going to remove my panels and hood and just wrap saran wrap around it.

Last edited:
T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Headlight and upper airbox delete is about a 10 lb weight savings...can cause issues for late nights LOL

Either the Timber or Holtz skids are good from what I have seen...I believe the timber is a little lighter (timber saves 15lbs)
Timber front end also saves some weight (7lbs I believe) Floats should lose another couple pounds or so.

Lightweight tank has like a ten?? pounds saving as well?? Can anyone verify this?

A pipe and can are quick, easy weight lose. Numbers vary with brand.

How about just adding some more power??

Jake

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Headlights went away day one, can is an HPS, so that's done.
Bogies, sway-bar, foam, oil-injection....gone.

I know no one will have all the answers, but please share your experience with either/any..

A few questions:

(1) Skid - Holz vs Timber? I've always kind of been partial to Holz, but it is 40lbs instead of 36lbs for the Timber. How much of a performance penalty is there for going Timber vs Holz? It does look like it's more "open" as to not hold snow as much.

(2) Fox Floats - which version? Looks like they vary in adjust-ability and um...er...weight. Love my EXiTs, but they're heavy.

(3) Boss Seat - do they make a standard height seat without the pockets stuff? Seems if you pay to loose weight with the seat, then pack the pockets with XP-requisite tow straps, etc.. you 've defeated the point. I don't care for a high seat, as I'm never sitting when using this sled. Stock seat is 6.x lbs, so is the Boss really a 1.8lb seat?

(4) Pipe & Can - may Swain ceramic coat the pipe, can is an HPS today.

(5) Front Airbox? How is this modified? Please explain. Thx. I do have a Bondi airbox today.

(6) Front End - how does the timber front end compare to the Alternative Impact Titanium front end? Is the geometry the same as stock, or do they "come close"?

(7) Gage Pod? Are you talking about the actual gage itself, or the housing it mounts to? Any pics of this deleted?

(8) Lexan? I hear ya dBook - that was my concern too, lexan cracks, and without a healthy dose of chicken-wire/mesh, this sled hold heat. I can't see much weight loss from the hood area, but the side panels would yield something - albeit stress cracks in the making. Our powder may be the savior of that short term.

(9) Power? Well, there's never enough here of course. But I've found over the last 10 years that a lighter sled makes me a better rider than just gobs of power and a heavy machine. I've even considered doing a Turbo Yami, and chose not to do it. (I do have an XTX for heavy fun, and do like it). Once the turbos are a little more shaken out, maybe I'll go there, I'm more partial to looking towards a Trygstad 990, etc.. but that's post-weight loss surgery, custom pipes, etc.. IMO. ;-) Today it's just domed heads, porting, reeds, etc... Maybe looking into bored carbs next..

Anyways - thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas - keep em coming!!!

MtnDoo

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Here's a little JFYI.......weighed them today.
Stock '08 seat.....6.5lbs
Doo tall race seat (soft).7.5lbs
I wonder if the new boss seats with the additional storage are possibly even heavier than stock??? I know last year a '08 Boss seat saved 1 lb vs stock '08 seat.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Is one pound really worth 500+ bucks?

Sledskiing really likes his timbersled setup and he rides that boosted yammie.

I have heard good things about both skids

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
I'm honestly not a Boss seat fan.
I think they're over-rated and kind of an eyesore.
But, I digress...

For powder riding, the stock height or less is ideal, as we're rarely sitting, and getting side to side over a higher hurdle would be counter-productive IMO. It might have an application for other types of riding.

However...if they actually lost 4+ lbs, and were stock height, no built-in backpack stuff on the back to "put your weed in there", then I'd be willing to consider them. Seems they need "features" to sell though...

Deleting that logo wouldn't hurt either IMO.

But, my goal after all isn't aesthetics, it's weight loss.
If they drop the lbs, I'll buy.

MD.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Major surgery, radically expensive, but check this out:

http://www.c3powersports.com/xpchassis.php

- integrated structural fuel tank on a carbon fiber chassis!

That's pretty cool. Looks like the cost of carbon fiber has finally come down to earth. $40 a yard. Wonder how hard it is, to get into making your own parts?

So, anyone ever make their snowflap removable?
Looks like the only place left, to cut weight, is the track. Why hasn't someone come out with a lightweight, stock HP track?

C

cog

Dec 7, 2007
Here's some of the things I weighed with a digital fish scale as I took them off. The sled and skid are published.
scanweight.jpg

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
panels

i have had a set of carbon fiber/kevlar panels on some of my rev's. great panels expensive but strong, no marks on them and ultra light They flex abit so i think that helps when you roll it in deep snow i was happy with mine i could sell them

good luck
giddyup

M
Dec 3, 2008
Grande Prairie AB
I had a holz rear skid and didn't like it at all. also keep your stock shocks before buying floats unless your buying the evols. I had float 2's and now have evols. definately ditch the entire airbox, timbersled kit works awesome, no more bog in the light powder and cleans up under the hood. of course this is my opinion, but I do have experience with all these on an xp.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Good to see that someone has deleted their oil injection; I have been wanting to do the same but have heard that there are crank issues if you do.... What are you removing, and what are you leaving?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Oil injection delete was done by dealer/mechanic.

They remove the pump, res, etc.. add a block-off plate, and a small resivoir for the water pump bearing if I recall correctly. Not only the weight of the parts is saved, but the fluid as well.

MD.

Premium Features