• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08/09 800 recall...

I
Nov 26, 2007
Put it this way....
If you were a plumber and installed new, to code, in a home and did a good job. Then the homeowner installed a high presure shower system with a booster pump on your plumbing to double the pressure...then the pipes burst in the walls... would you cover it.

I see your point, but let's put it this way....

You needed your house plumbed and made the mistake of hiring a polaris engineer to do it. He did a terrible, not to code, half arsed job that leaked every where even before you installed your high pressure shower system. Now that polaris plumber is going around to all his other clients and redoing his work so he doesn't get run out of town, but won't do yours because even though 80% of the houses he plumbed seize-um-leaked, he claims your high pressure shower system caused the leaks on your water system. Sure :rolleyes:

Personally I don't own a high pressure water system, or a dragon, or anything with a polaris engine at all, but I think polaris needs to update all the 800s regardless of shower boosters, unless the shower booster owner doesn't want the update because it won't work with his high pressure system.

T

TREE MAGNET

Oct 28, 2008
ST. MARIES
i see your point, but let's put it this way....

You needed your house plumbed and made the mistake of hiring a polaris engineer to do it. He did a terrible, not to code, half arsed job that leaked every where even before you installed your high pressure shower system. Now that polaris plumber is going around to all his other clients and redoing his work so he doesn't get run out of town, but won't do yours because even though 80% of the houses he plumbed seize-um-leaked, he claims your high pressure shower system caused the leaks on your water system. Sure :rolleyes:

Personally i don't own a high pressure water system, or a dragon, or anything with a polaris engine at all, but i think polaris needs to update all the 800s regardless of shower boosters, unless the shower booster owner doesn't want the update because it won't work with his high pressure system.

so put that in ur pipe and shmoke it!

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
It will be interesting to see what Polaris does in these cases. Many turbo guys may not need....want...or desire the fix anyway as their systems my be running perfectly in their modded state already.
I do have to agree with ICR on this. This isn't a problem that is resulting from a modification done to a product. It is a manufacture defect that is more than likely effecting all machines in one way or another. Basically, they sold a faulty product.
I certainly understand Polaris needs to do this in the most cost effective way possible. However, Polaris seems reluctant to learn from their prior mistakes. Would you rather do it right the first time or spend the next 3 years and millions of dollars to fix it? It would seem they prefer the latter.

W
Feb 27, 2008
He did a terrible, not to code, half arsed job that leaked every where even before you installed your high pressure shower system.

if he did a terrible,not to code,half arsed job that leaked every where to begin with...then why would you add a high pressure shower system to add to the problem?sticking to the plumbing references of course.i think the point is, while they're a ton of 800s out there with the same problem,there is also a lot of sleds out there with no problems at all...i would bet that those who installed "high pressure shower systems" to their 800s did so to new or near new good running sleds,not sleds with any "leaks".therfore while there is an excellent chance that problems could have existed before any mods...polaris and the owners really have no way of knowing for sure.i'm not saying that polaris should or shouldent warrenty these sleds i just think that most of us,myself included, know what were getting ourselves into when we start modding our sleds and the risks we'll be taking in regards to our warrenty coverage.just my .02.

S
Mar 31, 2009
This was posted by Willie on Amsnow.com:

08-09 IQ and switchback New cylinder head, new pistons (2 rings) and stronger, new silencer and a new fuel maping including new engine protection for detonation and overheating.

08-09 RMK New cylinder head, new pistons (2 rings) and stronger, new fuel maping including new engine protection for detonation and overheating.

The major problem was between 5000-6000 rpm, the temp of the exhaust was way to high. Problem between the exhaust port vs compression ratio. Polaris assure us that this 800 engine will be a pretty good engine after those upgrade.

The HP and performance will stay the same and I can confirm that a fresh rebuilt 800CFI was a killer. We saw pretty impressive MPH with a fresh rebuilt engine, but the problem was after 250 miles, those number were almost impossible to hit again.

They tested it on dyno and on the snow in Canada, USA, iceland etc with pretty good result. Those parts should be available in mid-august. Polaris want every sled to be ready to go when the snow fall.

The 800 dragon was a pretty fun sled to ride last winter. Suspension was awesome, handling etc. The engine was powerfull and I would say the best 800 ever built for performance. But the durability was not there... I believe that this problem is now a problem from the past. Those sled will be one of the best sled outhere after this recall.

That was a recap of the webminar we had 15 minutes ago. thanks

W
Feb 27, 2008
thats funny...when i first got my 09 d800 i was blown away by the performance.but after the first couple rides it seemed to lose some "snap".i credited it to the fact i had been riding an 06 755 and just got used to the power.it will be interesting to see how the updates help/hurt performance.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
the webinar was really good info covered all the problems; if you read most of the posts about this sled it even covered the fuel filter problem plus as they stated the problem ocurred at different locations differently, even stated that they tested it wrong as I guess the test riders were aggressive and didn't have the mid range problems , even related to what I said a few times, it's very high performance and needs more attention than lesser motors and we need to start paying attention to where we buy gas and what we put into our gas, I for one was very impressed, I believe ALL 800'S will get the upgrade if they want. oh and the clown responding to MH I'm sure he voted for obama cuz he's a wak job with no credibility IMO

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Mmmm.... I'm not hopeful about the whole comparable power thing.

Guess we'll see midseason... did they say anything about extending the warranties?

sled_guy

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
If mine ends up with the power and snap of my '01 800 with pipe and reeds I would be a lot happier. Do we wait for a letter or call from the dealer or do we just take the things in?

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Need to wait until you get a letter from Poo . I wouldn't be so troubled with the power thing in Dyno Tech they checked some different heads and gained some HP with less comp, the new head will have a protruded tip plug and the design looks to be deeper and narrower only trouble is here comes another plug to keep track of and can't borrow from a friend but plugs never have been an issue with the Liberty engines anyway.

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
So not looking forward to doing the retrofit kits if this is what they are ending up being. It's ganna be a PITA the first 2 times then after that I'll be doing it with my eyes closed :rolleyes:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
So not looking forward to doing the retrofit kits if this is what they are ending up being. It's ganna be a PITA the first 2 times then after that I'll be doing it with my eyes closed :rolleyes:

Please don't install them with your eyes closed. That could be what caused the screw up in the first place. :D

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
Sledr and RMK727

So is the single injector per cylinder in the package or out?

It wasn't mentioned in you list of changes from the webanar.

Thanks again snowest members for the updates.

63nova

Jun 4, 2008
The flatlands
"Projected plug"

The new head has the plug projected into the combustion chamber. It's still the same plug.

Need to wait until you get a letter from Poo . I wouldn't be so troubled with the power thing in Dyno Tech they checked some different heads and gained some HP with less comp, the new head will have a protruded tip plug and the design looks to be deeper and narrower only trouble is here comes another plug to keep track of and can't borrow from a friend but plugs never have been an issue with the Liberty engines anyway.

Premium Features