• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rob's (f-bomb) track mod, who's done it?

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Honestly, I don't know that I'd cut the 06 166 (2.4") track. I have that track on my 9 and it absolutely kills the 07 and newer tracks in all conditions.

Maybe it's just the rider then:eek:

I was having a tough time convincing myself to cut down my track but after talking with Rob in Puyallup and riding my wife's sled (I understand they are different tracks), it seems like there's not much of a downside. With such a large footprint, it seems like cutting .3" of the the curled ends off the 166 wouldn't be a big deal for deep snow and would have to help on the hardpack. My other thought is to buy new rails with no tip up and see how that works (I think my jumping habit has increased the factory bend a bit).

I don't know what the answer is but when a stock 09 D8 155 and a 07 D7 155 with a Holz rear walk away from me (mine has the Holz coilover as well and the sled is set up properly), there is a problem.

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
More pics please

The way i understand it is to place the screws where the thicker fingers are in the paddle (three each paddle).

Anyone have problems with cutting methods? are all paddels cut or do you leave the outer/inner rows? I definiltly have a problem with track spin as the predominate snow condition is hard or sloppy, seldom fluffy.

Any #'s for the screws?

Thanks, definatly worth a try this season, and when the track wears-out then change it to the CE 2.5.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
I trimmed and screwed my RMK 155" last weekend. I used the sawz-all method. As for the screws, I used 3 per lug on the outer lugs and used 2 screws per lug on the inside of the rails. Basically, I only screwed the lugs with the taller rubber fingers. I used just over a 1.25 lbs of screws (1 1/4 boxes). Looks just like harland's.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Anyone finding the screws anywhere besides a specialty fastner place? Like Home Depot? I want black with the small head like Rob's pic shows.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Anyone finding the screws anywhere besides a specialty fastner place? Like Home Depot? I want black with the small head like Rob's pic shows.

I have not had good luck with fasteners from Home Depot. I have found them to be extremely cheap, I am sure they are Chinese. I am not sure if Ace's stuff is Chinese (I am sure most of it is) but their fasteners seem to be way better.

Just my 2 cents

M
Dec 3, 2007
Yeh I got mine at ACE last night and they are the black ones with the small heads. They take a #1 square bit, I belive they were called wood trim screws and came in little plastic boxes (like the kind that hang on the wall) of 100. I could take a pic of them tonight when I get home if you would like.

Last edited:
P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Super B, I posted a question some time ago if the single ply (09) has stiffer paddles than the 08, and it didn't get any response. My new 09 feels alot stiffer, but maybe it's because my 08 has 2300 tip bending miles on it now? I plan to trim the 09 track and maybe "screw" it if I'm still not happy. I've got an M8 162 pwrclaw buddy to compete with!

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
Super B, I posted a question some time ago if the single ply (09) has stiffer paddles than the 08, and it didn't get any response. My new 09 feels alot stiffer, but maybe it's because my 08 has 2300 tip bending miles on it now? I plan to trim the 09 track and maybe "screw" it if I'm still not happy. I've got an M8 162 pwrclaw buddy to compete with!

I am worried that the one ply does not have enough structural strength to handle more rigid lugs. I would hate to screw the track and find that lugs are ripping off....

B
Dec 21, 2007
Test

Have any of you guys that recently trimmed your tracks tried them yet. I am waiting to see what you think. Please let us know

S
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks Rob

You rock! I was looking for ways to up the performance on my D8, simple, easy, cheap, for Tim the toolman, and I have no doubt about how big a difference this can make. Thanks Again!
:D:D:D

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Have any of you guys that recently trimmed your tracks tried them yet. I am waiting to see what you think. Please let us know

I trimmed by '08 Dragon track last season(followed Rob's instructions) and couldn't be happier. I held off on inserting screws into the lugs. The biggest improvement showed up on hardpack downhills -- braking was significantly improved and that's what I was looking for. And it still works great in the powder. Took about 1 hour to complete the project. Cheap fix; great results. What more could you ask for.

DO IT!

z

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Interesting topic about the use of screws in the lugs. This was always in the back of my mind just never got the balls to do it . As for some of the other guys wondering about trimming the shorter 2" tracks. I did this on my 2005 700 RMK 144. Cut off maybe a 1/4", just enough to get past the grooves on the tip. Night and day difference on the hard pack. When it was stock I would just pin it and the rear end would fishtale all over the place. Now that it is cut way more control and straight ahead. Maybe this winter I will try the screws. Just need to find a reasonable priced place to buy them from. So far $15 a pound is the price I have seen.

A

AKRedneck

Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, AK
Nice Trimming Tool

I just cut my track down yesterday and used one of these craftsman handi-cut tools that I had laying around. I thought I'd give it a try and, surprisingly, it works great. Extremely straight cuts that leaves the lugs looking almost factory after trimming!!.. If anyone is worried about butchering there track freehand using a blade (I was a bit), this is the ticket! Line up the blade at the bottom of the nubs and squeeze..very simple :D
00937301000-1

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
so for those of you who have done this, would there be a difference/issue with using Phillips head screws rather than square taper?

my local hardware store did not have enough of the square taper so i bought the same size screws with phillips heads. they do not counter sink well at all and i can't tell if they are as stiff as the lugs with the counter sunk square heads. opinions? thoughts?

pv

Premium Features