• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rob's (f-bomb) track mod, who's done it?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I was going to put a 159x1.5 cross over on my sled but this sounds easier and cheaper. so no missing screws but any cracked lugs from the screw being inside the rubber? I use my rmk as a freeriding sled in ditches and fields and i am yet to be missing a lug even with last years lack of snow in Sask but im worried with the screws in the lug it will crack the lug and then chunk apart. It probably would if you used a longer screw im thinking if it has yet to happen

I got left behind by a 600rs on the lake last year in a drag because i was spinning but then killed him the rest of the day in the ditch full of powder

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
thanks for the info rob, have 2500 miles on the stock 155 and its getting a bit soft, was looking at putting in a camo extreme but I think Ill try this out first and see if I like it and can save me some $ that I can use for a trip to revy :D

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Wow, lots of great information on here!

So, then you guys would recommend cutting down a 2.4in track to about 2.1ish then?

Or, if wear was my only concern, would the paddles eventually wear down to about that? or would they snap leaving me with hardly nothing left?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
thanks for the info rob, have 2500 miles on the stock 155 and its getting a bit soft, was looking at putting in a camo extreme but I think Ill try this out first and see if I like it and can save me some $ that I can use for a trip to revy :D

Same thing was happening to me. My 155" was starting to curl on the paddles. Cutting that curl off did it good in the powder as well since it was rolling back against me.

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
Trackscrews2.jpg

Trackscrew1.jpg

By the way this track is for sale if someone is looking. I went to a camo

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
So would this work on the 07 144 track? (stock track) I am guessing I would have to go with a shorter screw, but is the lug wide enough for it to work? Reason being I am looking at new tracks for mine, the one I have seems to spin real easy in most conditions not only riding in the fla lands when we drag race and stuff but also seems to be leaving a lot on the table in the mountains. Just figred like some of the others here might try this just to see before buying a new track... Thanks

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Rob that is uncharted territory for me. Your stocker 07 144 is a 2" paddle but I'm not certain if it has the exact same lug pattern placement as the 09 series of factory stock Polaris tracks. On an 07 144 that we run daily I pulled the factory track and went to a Polaris 2.4" (I think) that has #5412887 stamped into it by the Polaris logo and camoplast insignia before the sled even saw snow. It looks identical in lug pattern/style/placement to the 09 155 track that we are discussing accept that the 155 track has an additional factory port cut out on the inside of the drive lugs. I cut that track down just as described but instead of #6 1" square heads driven into the lugs and not exposed I put small hex head (just like the ones in the above picture) in all three locations in each lug. That track flat out WORKS great in every condition and is perfect on this vehicle! Now most guys wouldn't go buy a new track and immediately chop it up...and those are the guys that I KILL when we race! (get it?;))

The question here is can you experience improvements cutting and screwing your 2" 144 track. I really don't know how much deep snow performance loss (IF ANY) that you would experience by removing enough tip to get the screws set. I think if it were me and I already planned on buying a new track I'd experiment with the one I'm preparing to replace. If that sucks I can advise you to get the previously mentioned track and follow what I've done exactly. That works.

B
Dec 21, 2007
Experience

I have a 07 600 RMK 155.

I still need opinions on this track mod. Have you regretted it. Are all of you installing the screws of just trimming. I ride Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.

I have noticed the track does not hook up too good but will it wreck my powder performance and have screws flinging everywhere. What are the up and down sides to this.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
I took a look at robs track at the show saturday. It really dosen't trim a whole lot off, so it shouldn't effect the pow performance, and the screws stiffening it up I'm sure will help when things get set up.

Only thing, From this thread I was under the impression that you sunk the small screw head below the tips of the track, but it looked like on Rob's sled that he just left the head flush or even a lil out on the tips. Which one should we do or is one better than the other?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i trimmed but didnt screw, it seems way better if you pushed the lug with the tips on it just rolls back easily but now you push on the lug and the
cut edge is firmer and will bite harder.

it was very easy no wd 40 or power tool just used the non extending razorblade knife and a brand new blade and went to it, just left a millimeter of rubber on the nubs to hold them together and took me about 15-20 minutes

B
Dec 21, 2007
Track

Sledneck,

Did you run it all last year. What is your riding area mountains and powder or more set up. Did it help it get off the line and grip more on hard pack.

Did it hurt your powder performance.

Tell me if you thought it was worth it.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
ordering screws

Hey Rob thanks for the info. Did you ever find that box of screws I would like to order some from fastners. The ones they now have are trim screws for dry wall . How many needed for a 155 07 ?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
For the track in question and per my first post on this subject we are dealing with an 09 stock non dragon (single vrs double ply) 155 track that came on the sled from Polaris.

Is the consensus that the 09 Dragon 155 track benefits from this mod?? Is the 09 Dragon track different from the NON Dragon. I'm all confused. I thought I used to know which sleds had which tracks (06-09's)

Are the 08 dragon 5.1's the same as the 09 "NON" Dragon tracks and 09 dragon tracks different?

B
Dec 21, 2007
Help

I am still debating this. Are there any more guys that have cut thier tracks out there. Did it hurt the powder performance much and would you do it again. How much difference do the screws make ?

Can you get by with just the cut.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
I am still debating this. Are there any more guys that have cut thier tracks out there. Did it hurt the powder performance much and would you do it again. How much difference do the screws make ?

Can you get by with just the cut.

My wife's 07 D7 155 has been cut, but not screwed. Since we got it last May, there hasn't been any good, fresh powder to evaluate deep snow performance but it's night and day between her's and my 06 900 166 on set up stuff. The Dragon flat hooks up and my 166 just spins. I'm headed out to the garage today to start cutting on mine:D

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
My wife's 07 D7 155 has been cut, but not screwed. Since we got it last May, there hasn't been any good, fresh powder to evaluate deep snow performance but it's night and day between her's and my 06 900 166 on set up stuff. The Dragon flat hooks up and my 166 just spins. I'm headed out to the garage today to start cutting on mine:D

Honestly, I don't know that I'd cut the 06 166 (2.4") track. I have that track on my 9 and it absolutely kills the 07 and newer tracks in all conditions.

Premium Features