• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 and 09 Dragon 8 owners news.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
You guys are missing the point, something is changing at Poo. We just don't know what it is yet. That and the only way that I have been able to ride is that I had bought a spare block and pistons. I have been waiting on Polaris warrantied parts for several weeks now and who knows when they will be available.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Well picked up my sled Friday from my dealer. They changed the blown crank seal (PTO side) and replaced the fuel filter. Dealer said some bulletin had come out about recommending replacing the filter so I told them to go ahead and change it. It was idling low when I took it in, they changed it and it did bring the idle up a bit. They claim it was definitly restricting fuel flow. Can't wait to try it gain to see if it made a noticible difference. It did seem to feel like it was starving some on the top end the last few times out..

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well picked up my sled Friday from my dealer. They changed the blown crank seal (PTO side) and replaced the fuel filter. Dealer said some bulletin had come out about recommending replacing the filter so I told them to go ahead and change it. It was idling low when I took it in, they changed it and it did bring the idle up a bit. They claim it was definitly restricting fuel flow. Can't wait to try it gain to see if it made a noticible difference. It did seem to feel like it was starving some on the top end the last few times out..

I think that I willl change mine also. I have pulled it off and blown through it and it seemed fine but after today I'm at a loss to explain why my sled is still leaning out on longer climbs after using a half tank of fuel. This crap is really starting to piss me off!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I went to Napa on Thursday and picked up a $6 fuel filter and spliced it into the factory fuel line. Poo wants $86 for a new one and the Napa filter is twice the size. I cut apart the old one and there wasn't anything that looked clogged but after riding this weekend it obviously was. I can't tell you exactly why my sled wouldn't lean out when the tank was full but would when 1/2 full. The old fuel filter was the problem. Sled ran awesome all w/e, now to figure out why the exhaust valves smacked the pistons the week before.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
so this filter is after the pump or before?

should do a exploded parts book few of the mod so us d8'ers can do the modfor our own piece of mind, don't want to go through your he77, sounds like you had enough fun:)

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
so this filter is after the pump or before?

should do a exploded parts book few of the mod so us d8'ers can do the modfor our own piece of mind, don't want to go through your he77, sounds like you had enough fun:)

X2 on this, plus it would be great to pay $6 instead of $86 for a fuel filter... $86? :eek: That would make me want to, well, lose my lunch all over the parts counter... :mad: sorry but that is highway robbery.

Heck you could fabricate a DIY kit for this and sell it as a mod for the dragons / rmks!

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
X2 on this, plus it would be great to pay $6 instead of $86 for a fuel filter... $86? :eek: That would make me want to, well, lose my lunch all over the parts counter... :mad: sorry but that is highway robbery.

Heck you could fabricate a DIY kit for this and sell it as a mod for the dragons / rmks!

if it is this simple to save from burn downs i would pay 86 bucks for a diy kit

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Well they did nail me on the bucks for the replacement this time but I will know better next time. I am glad to hear it made a difference, Have not had a chance to ride mine yet since it was changed. Had 2500 miles on mine with the old filter. Next time I will try your replacement method. Where did you mount the filter?

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Here you go,
On the left is the factory hose going to the tank, I had to put a metal tube in between the hose and the rubber hose that came with the filter. On the right you can see where I cut the tube off of the stock filter, you need to cut it off right at the filter and save it. I also lightly sanded it to make sure that the hose would hold tight.
filter005.jpg

Do not put the filter tube into the hose. You have to insert the metal tube into the factory hose first. This is how the tube will look before putting the rubber hose on it.

filter007.jpg

This is how the tube will look when done.
filter008.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ski Breeze.... I DO give thumbs up to the idea...especiallay in the light of the super expensive filter.

But

In your pics.....

That is a dangerous setup.. the filter you are using is a higher (lets more stuff thru) carburettor filter (low pressure)

At 4 bar (58psi) the hose clamps will not be strong enough on that un-beaded hose to hold on in the long run... then you will have fuel squirting all over your engine compartment. (Even more so on the 2006 CFi @ 116 psi)
That would be bad.

It would be much better to use a Ford Fuel injection filter like those intended for the late model Focus.... one end of the filter will plug into the hose the way it is...

Then, have a splice hose with 2 female quick disconnects on it. The guys that make the hoses for the turbo setups should be able to make one. Heck, they should offer a kit (are you listening OVS, SPS etc??)

http://www.inlinetube.com/
These guys could make one.

Then you could have a custom hose made with both female quick disconnects on it. One end for the filter, one end for the tank.

Pic of Focus filter,F89Z9155A, (Fram Cross G8018)
maint_fuelfilter.jpg

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the heads up, I did tighten the crap outta the hose clamps for that reason. I asked the parts guy if they had a filter that had the quick disconnect on it and he said no, I should have known better.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Good call Eric. Without any type of flare on the line, there will be nothing to hold the rubber hose from blowing off at 58 psi. You could use the Ford fuel filter and add a barbed brass union to the side of the fuel filter that goes to rubber hose. We use them all the time in the transmission field, very safe and hold in environments where pressures exceed 300 psi. It's an excellent and safe way to go from a steel line to rubber under pressure.

Maybe Mountainhorse can find a pic of what I'm talking about.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
MH, the 2000 focus filter won't work for plugging into the motor end of the fuel hose. It is 5/16" and the motor end is apparently 3/8" Do you know what filters are 3/8" inlet and outlet?

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
The filter with blue line in the picture below is a (WPS click to see it) filter for the 05/06 900 @ $25. Problem is its a bit too short. It does have the 5/16" & 3/8" Ford style high pressure connects, it would just need a small extention hose that you could have made at any hose shop for either the 5/16" or 3/8" end. The extension could stay in the sled and just change out the filter at $25 from then on. Just another option. EW

100_6904.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
guys you should be able to take your existing hoses to any aeroquip hose dealer and have them cut the original hose up and fit new ends to it to fit the ford filter...should be a simple fix, shouldnt cost much and the ford filter has much more filter area so it wont plug as fast......

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I took another trip to Advance Auto and got exactly what I was looking for.
The filter is a purolator F64728 which has a 5/16" inlet and a 3/8" outlet. I also got a Dorman quick disconnect #800-054 which has a 5/6" connector and an @ 18" hose with a splice connector to splice into the stock upper hose. The filter has about 4 times the filter capacity and it is only $10, the Dorman piece is $20.

AK, the hose shop I went to earlier today didn't have any fuel injection fittings at all.

installedfilter.jpg

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I took another trip to Advance Auto and got exactly what I was looking for.
The filter is a purolator F64728 which has a 5/16" inlet and a 3/8" outlet. I also got a Dorman quick disconnect #800-054 which has a 5/6" connector and an @ 18" hose with a splice connector to splice into the stock upper hose. The filter has about 4 times the filter capacity and it is only $10, the Dorman piece is $20.

AK, the hose shop I went to earlier today didn't have any fuel injection fittings at all.

hmm, ours usually has them if not they order them as needed..must be cause we are so far from there.....they have always supplied me everything needed when we plumb race cars, stock vehicles and such...

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Really enjoy as you guys try to find a fix then help each other out to make the correct fix this is really just great Americanizm. But Ski has lost at least 50% of his credability with me. Are those really girlly gloves he wears? HA HA

Premium Features