• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone ridden Skinz spindles/arms?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Looking at possibly going with Skinz front end kit on my '15 this year instead of the BDX I have on my '14. Anyone got any seat time on a skinz front end yet? They say it's supposed to improve handling and it moves the centerline forward 3.5". Not sure if that will make it more of a wheelie monster or not if the pressure on the skis feel lighter. The '15 153 with a 3" will already be enough of a wheelie monster. The kit is crazy expensive though at $1300 compared to the BDX kit which is only $400. I just don't know if I can put myself through another season of bending spindles every 2-3 rides.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
BDX spindles. I tried the modified xm spindles, but they have a lot of flaws I need to sort out before mounting them back on my '14. Need more clearance and wedge plates on the bottom on both sides for the ski rubber, or else they are too floppy.

T

TURBIE

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 17, 2013
saskatchewan
I don't have any seat time with the Skins front end but what I saw amoungst a few Cats riding together I was impressed on a M 1100 Turbo so that is the reason that I did this to my M 800 153 along with the Raptor shocks. Can not wait for winter:face-icon-small-hap

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
You hate the stock ones that much? I've seen many guys who can dangle with stock spindles... What's the benefits from your opinion and experience??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I don't have any seat time with the Skins front end but what I saw amoungst a few Cats riding together I was impressed on a M 1100 Turbo so that is the reason that I did this to my M 800 153 along with the Raptor shocks. Can not wait for winter:face-icon-small-hap

Do the raptor springs clear? Exits do not, at least in the ideal lower mounting hole. One the skins front there is two lower mounting holes. Matt Murdee had exits and switched to evol Rs. I'd double check to ensure the raptors work in the better mount locations.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
You hate the stock ones that much? I've seen many guys who can dangle with stock spindles... What's the benefits from your opinion and experience??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a fan no. Rode my 12 for 500 miles and two 14s with stock arms. The bdx kit feels more predictable and has less drag. Steering isn't as easy but I never had any issues. I can dangle pretty good with stockers but even more dangle happens when I'm on a bdx front end.
Would be nice to hear at least one persons feedback on the skinz kit. Can't justify dropping that kind of cash without hearing If they change the attitude of the sled a lot in a good way.

T

TURBIE

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 17, 2013
saskatchewan
Do the raptor springs clear? Exits do not, at least in the ideal lower mounting hole. One the skins front there is two lower mounting holes. Matt Murdee had exits and switched to evol Rs. I'd double check to ensure the raptors work in the better mount locations.
The Raptor shocks do fit the Skins front end but the Exits don't Gene (just boost it) has the Raptor shocks on his sled with the Skins front end and no problems.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I've never ridden the Skinz on a M8 so I'm not sure how much applies here. I guess the basics are the same. There is a couple posts in the 1100 section about the Skinz. Here is what me and another customer have found. Also note we both have Kmod skids.

- the ski pressure is increased a lot, probably less on the 800 but will be more than you are used too. On the 800 the front shock may have enough adjustment to compensate. On the 1100 even the Kmod Raptor did not have enough in anything less than 18" of fresh. The stock Kmod is something like 160/220 and we were running on the edge of that. We both replaced the front shock with something heavier, the 1100 has more weight out front than the 800 obviously. Just for comparison, once the Skinz was on I ran 1-2 clickers less on my transfer block, I never got to try the heavier spring at the end of the year.

- we were both running SPL PP to start. I kept mine, the other guy went to a less aggressive ski. Once we got the skid figured out you could run any ski you are used to I'm sure.

- my Raptors had to be run upside down to clear the external WTA cooler on my 1100. My understanding is they fit the normal way also.

- we already know a coil over rides and handles better, but the handling is substantially better than the 38" stock arms. Between 37" and the relocation 3.5" forward it is much easier to roll over. Both of us thought that it was somewhat less predictable because of that but by the end of the season I was very comfortable on it. Because of the extra weight on the 1100 being all in the front end I'm sure the difference it makes on an 1100 is more noticeable than a m8. If you have a chance to ride before you buy that would be ideal.

M

mc990cc

Dec 31, 2009
skinz front end on proclimb

I have a week of riding on the front end worked great more nimble than stock but with i am moving on to a new build so its for sale if interested pm me k mod with raptors as well worked great to hold the evo power on the snow i know this isnt the classified section but i have some pics of the front end and raptor shocks on the sled. Long time stalker of snowest first time poster so be easy on me lol 2012 hcr 1100turbo evo big chute cold air intake 2.5 in evo exhaust 3 stage evo tune tcl delete team secondary k mod with raptors big chute edition 800 miles on skid 1500 on sled turn key power house sled ready to rip.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So Jeff @ BDX got ahold of me today. They revised their spindles and beefed them up where all the ones I had were bending. Probably just going to do a BDX front end again on my '15, or just keep it stock. Can't justify the $$$ for the Skinz front end.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
My opinion...

I've never ridden the Skinz on a M8 so I'm not sure how much applies here. I guess the basics are the same. There is a couple posts in the 1100 section about the Skinz. Here is what me and another customer have found. Also note we both have Kmod skids.

- the ski pressure is increased a lot, probably less on the 800 but will be more than you are used too. On the 800 the front shock may have enough adjustment to compensate. On the 1100 even the Kmod Raptor did not have enough in anything less than 18" of fresh. The stock Kmod is something like 160/220 and we were running on the edge of that. We both replaced the front shock with something heavier, the 1100 has more weight out front than the 800 obviously. Just for comparison, once the Skinz was on I ran 1-2 clickers less on my transfer block, I never got to try the heavier spring at the end of the year.

- we were both running SPL PP to start. I kept mine, the other guy went to a less aggressive ski. Once we got the skid figured out you could run any ski you are used to I'm sure.

- my Raptors had to be run upside down to clear the external WTA cooler on my 1100. My understanding is they fit the normal way also.

- we already know a coil over rides and handles better, but the handling is substantially better than the 38" stock arms. Between 37" and the relocation 3.5" forward it is much easier to roll over. Both of us thought that it was somewhat less predictable because of that but by the end of the season I was very comfortable on it. Because of the extra weight on the 1100 being all in the front end I'm sure the difference it makes on an 1100 is more noticeable than a m8. If you have a chance to ride before you buy that would be ideal.
Well put Gene, this is pretty much what I found with the skinz setup on my M1100T. I like a very light front end, so I ended up changing the front track shock spring on my Kmod with raptors to a straight rate spring that was a touch longer (and stiffer then the Raptor spring. I also run Polaris gripper skis after trying PPros, Mohawks, and MODS (more of a personal preference, I will be trying a set of 7" Slydogs this season). As mentioned, EXIT shocks will not fit in the lower hole on the a-arms, so I ended up with Evol R's. Ride and handling on the big thumper has improved dramatically - feels more like an 800 then an 1100 four stroke (bear in mind there has been additional weight shaved from the sled, such as a C3 belt drive, C3 carbon fuel tank, Boss seat, and EVO bullet can, and the sled is far from stock hp with an EVO BC Turbo). I do also have a 2013 M800 S/P Ltd, but it is more or less a backup sled - it doesn't get ridden much, so I can't justify spending a bunch of $$$ into it.
In a nutshell, the Skinz product works well, better then stock, but I cannot comment on how it would compare to BDX in terms of handling, as I've not ridden a BDX front end. Hope this helps answer some questions.

Premium Features