• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800rr into a 153"

S

shaun3232

Oct 6, 2011
What are ur thoughts in making a 2013 800rr into a 153".buying a skid and tunnel from a m8.. had a m1100 turbo.. was to heavy so now I have this..just lookin to build something different.. good idea or bad.. lol

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Just get an M8. By the time you do a track and skid and tunnel and narrow the a-arms, you will have lots of time and money in it. You can trade for what you will stick into it and the '15 sled is going to be a ripper. Plus your two years newer. Or get a '14 holdover. They work well too.

C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
Well if you get the track and skid for cheap it is not that much of a work to do. A day in the garage to take the sled apart, and a day more to put it back together.
Adding a new tunnel section for the rear part of the tunnel is cheap cause you have the light, snow flap and small parts. You need a M rear bumper too.
Need new gears and chain since the RR is geared for trails.
The hardest thing is to get the angle of the track to be right. Maybe you have to change the drop brackets from a M sled too.
But all in all, if you get the parts cheap, you will make a good sled out of it.
But will you keep the wide front end? Cause I believe that you have to change the shocks cause they can`t be narrowed that much to match a M series front end.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
From what others have posted, I don't think you can get the drop brackets separately. They are part of the tunnel so you would have to do a full swap. by the time you swapped that, clutching, gearing, track, drivers? and skid you would basically have an HCR with better front shocks, laydown steering post, and trail seat. If you are planning on building it with stock parts, I would say not worth it. If you are going with an aftermarket skid, tunnel, and a 3" track it might be worth it since you are getting what you want then. Especially if you want the 43" front end.

S

shaun3232

Oct 6, 2011
Yes I can get oem parts at a real good price and can get the rear brackets.... doin a bdx38" front end,seat,2.5" ce track, 8 tooth drivers and m8 gears..

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
the other thing to think about when doing projects like this .
how ez is it to sell?
unless I know the guy and trust his work I would not think about buying some guys project .
your resale is always crap on this stuff.
I have been down this road a few times in my day.
U can buy a new 14 M8sp for 9990. with 1yr warranty .I did in apr
what is a 13 rr800 selling for ?8 or 9 g so really a no brainer toss 1500 to 2g in to a sled worth 7 grand when u are done .or sell it and buy a new 14 for the same 1500 to 2g.
hmm what 2 do
:doh:

S

shaun3232

Oct 6, 2011
That's true.. but if I get a new one I'm still Goin to be putting $1000-1500 into it to make it the way I want it..

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I did a xfire into an m series back in the day. Fun project but totally a waste of time and money. A frankensled with no value by the time its all done. Just trade for an M. Trust me.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
Owning a sled is never an investment. An investment in fun yes. Building a sled is always fun. A stock sled will always be worth more than a mod sled with exceptions of course. I know local racers who buy an extra race sled, buy ice age rails to long track it, extend the tunnel and that's it. They don't care that it doesn't side hill or pop out of the snow. What they are building is strong sled for jumping and doing drops with an awesome set of shocks all around. Just food for thought. I have about $20 grand into a 2014 m8000 and know I will never see most of that money back. Also built light weight 141 m8 out of my 2010 crossfire. A lot of fun and had a few people knocking on my door to buy it when I bought my 2014. I wasn't even selling it. So just follow your vision and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Owning a sled is never an investment. An investment in fun yes. Building a sled is always fun. A stock sled will always be worth more than a mod sled with exceptions of course. I know local racers who buy an extra race sled, buy ice age rails to long track it, extend the tunnel and that's it. They don't care that it doesn't side hill or pop out of the snow. What they are building is strong sled for jumping and doing drops with an awesome set of shocks all around. Just food for thought. I have about $20 grand into a 2014 m8000 and know I will never see most of that money back. Also built light weight 141 m8 out of my 2010 crossfire. A lot of fun and had a few people knocking on my door to buy it when I bought my 2014. I wasn't even selling it. So just follow your vision and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

true story !!

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I did a xfire into an m series back in the day. Fun project but totally a waste of time and money. A frankensled with no value by the time its all done. Just trade for an M. Trust me.

I love my '09 Xfire made into an M series. Worth every penny so far. Not really a frankensled in my mind. Shouldn't have a problem selling it around here.

S

shaun3232

Oct 6, 2011
Having trouble finding a 153" pro climb skid.. so if I don't find one shortly maybe it will get a trade in for a new M...

Premium Features