• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any ideas?

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
I'm running a 2014 M8 162, I just ordered a 3" track, 7 tooth drivers, full kmod w/raptor shocks front and back, TKI belt drive, jaws pipe and a Rktek 925 big bore. I am curious what gear ratio you guys think this is going to calculate out to? I ordered a 2.52 based on advise of others, but feel its going to be too low considering the 7 tooth drivers are smaller. What gear ratio should I require? And I also want to go with a 2" post forward kit, t-top post, pivot riser, and pro tapers..or equivalent bars. I plan to relocate the controls to the console. I don't want to go with a rox riser turned forward. Also curious if anyone has experience with the TCL delete and possible jack shaft options?

Thanks,
Rob

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I think you need to stay with your 8 tooth drivers, I have a 13 153 with a belt drive, SLP stage 3, ez-ryde skid, 3" and they talked me into a 2.52 ratio on the belt drive and leaving on the 8 tooth drivers. There is enough clearance and in ez-rydes opinion you only need the 7 tooth drivers on a cat if there are no engine mods. I have less track on the snow than you but you have more HP with the 925 so I think this will be a fair comparison. Mine rocks in this configuration and I think deeper gearing would take performance away. Hope this helps.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Thoughts.

I have 7 tooth drivers / 3" x 162 on a EVO boosted M1100T. I am using a 2.33:1 ratio in the belt drive, my effective final drive ratio is approx. 2.42:1. This would make your M8 the same as a 2013, but with considerably more hp due to the 925. FWIW, when I tried a 2.52 final ratio I felt trackspeed suffered, and in my personal application, I may gear up again to have a 2.25:1 or 2.33:1 final drive ratio, as the turbo has no problems pulling that gearing. I do feel that the PC needs the clearance for a 3" track, so the 7 tooth driver is a benefit.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
So the 7 tooth drivers are equivelant to gearing down one tooth? So my 2.52 with 7 tooth would be a 2.63 which is what the 14's came with right? I ride some high moisture content snow here in Alaska and want the extra clearance that comes with 7 tooth drivers.

I am shooting for 2.6 something...as close as possible to stock 14 gearing because I tried the 2.45 gearing when I switched to hyvo gears and wasn't happy with the belt temp increases or performance. Maybe the 925 will spin it fine?

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Not quite...

So the 7 tooth drivers are equivelant to gearing down one tooth? So my 2.52 with 7 tooth would be a 2.63 which is what the 14's came with right? I ride some high moisture content snow here in Alaska and want the extra clearance that comes with 7 tooth drivers.

I am shooting for 2.6 something...as close as possible to stock 14 gearing because I tried the 2.45 gearing when I switched to hyvo gears and wasn't happy with the belt temp increases or performance. Maybe the 925 will spin it fine?
The formula for calculating the difference between 8 tooth and 7 tooth drivers is (bottom sprocket teeth divided by top sprocket teeth) divided by .92. This would give you a final ratio of 2.74:1 with 2.52:1 ratio & 7 tooth drivers. The 2014 M8 came with a 2.52:1 ratio. With a 925, I would shoot for a final ratio of 2.42 - 2.50:1

Premium Features