• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

#1 wake-up for ZX 700??

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Have a gade from years past, 2002. Motor is fresh with rebuilt crank and new double-ring pistons.

So it's a 136" x 1,75" lug track used at low altitude for of trail fun. Not gonna sink much money into it, just spriten it up to be sold fast.

What did you guys (or your friend) do that really woke these up?

Thanks!

RS

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
Best Mods i did to my 03 zx 700 summit was lower gearing to 19/45 and swapping out carbs for 05 carbs. The little 700 is really snappy.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
shave the head and find a stock 800 pipe.

Thanks, cool if you/anyone could elaborate on the 800 pipe thing.

Also, seems like my easiest option will be going with the VM-40 carbs. Any changes to needle and needle-jet recomended on these? Low altitude.

Thanks.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
My buddy's dad has a renegade just like yours but an 800. My buddy took it out for a spring ride last year and it worked amazing. It would run pretty close to the newer 800s in our group. The sled was bone stock with a team secondary. Tuckernator set it up, I would talk to him and see what he put in it. Nice thing about clutching you won't be sacrificing any reliability.

D
Oct 17, 2011
Have a gade from years past, 2002. Motor is fresh with rebuilt crank and new double-ring pistons.

So it's a 136" x 1,75" lug track used at low altitude for of trail fun. Not gonna sink much money into it, just spriten it up to be sold fast.

What did you guys (or your friend) do that really woke these up?

Thanks!

RS

I rode a 700 summit for years. Check into the pistons from the older 670X engine. I never did it but I recall that guys were intslling the 670X pistions with a good gain in power. They are the same bore and drop right in.

D

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
Check into the pistons from the older 670X engine. good gain in power. They are the same bore and drop right in.

D
He said he already has dual ring pistons.

No power gain. Maybe less prone to power fade on a long pull.

They are NOT a drop in piston. 670X pistons are slightly larger and need to make SURE you have the proper bore clearance.

Clutching, gearing and Dynoport pipe will help.

Last edited:
R
Mar 16, 2010
He said he already has dual ring pistons.

No power gain. Maybe less prone to power fade on a long pull.

They are NOT a drop in piston. 670X pistons are slightly larger and need to make SURE you have the proper bore clearance.

Clutching, gearing and Dynoport pipe will help.

Agreed. I put 670x pistons in my 700, thought the clearances were OK, but alas, no - 4 corner seize after about 80 miles.

New cylinder later, put new OEM pistons back in, sled is still doing just fine - the 670x pistons did not seem to make any more power (and looking at them side by side, I don't see why they would).

Not a bad idea at all, but that .003" matters.

O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
If the jetting is stock, I would drop the mains 2 sizes too clean it up (DPM only works if your baseline is right to start with) , find a
Dynoport silencer, open up the empty gauge holes in the dash for more air intake if you want more top end speed. If the secondary is the RER style the spring is too tight, slowing acceleration, I put a formula style secondary on that I could adjust otherwise I read somewhere that the 02-03 800 mxz RER secondary worked better because the spring was weaker. All these things took mine from a 70 mph pig to a 100 mph screamer.

Last edited:
Premium Features