• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 RMK 800 issues

14_racing

Oct 8, 2009
northeast SD
Just bought an 01 RMK, not perfect but it has a few upgrades like a team secondary, altitude compensator, mbrp can, lefty throttle, and vforce reeds. It has around 3500 miles, spedometer was removed to put a vent in so this is just an estimate. Theres recipts from rebuilding the motor and putting a big boy bearing kit in but that was in 2004. It also says they put an slp torque stop in but im not sure what one looks like so im not sure if there actually is. Should the crank be in good shape if it does have the kit and torgue stop?? The primary needs some cleaning and it stays ingaged some at idle, would rebuilding the clutch fix this?? Anything else i should look for or check or replace while going through things? wouldnt mind throwing $500 or so at it now just so i know it will be a runner and not leave me stranded when im riding with by buddies on their new pros!

RMK.jpg RMK 2.jpg

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City

While you have the primary off for cleaning or rebuilding, check your crank run out. That will give you some assurance of the crank condition. Torgue stop should be a link thay goes betwen the motor and the bulk head on the left fron side of the motor. Just in front of and behind the primary. The big blocks would break that left front motor mount pretty often too so check it as well. That and the torque stop helps the crank to live. Replace the primary spring when you clean the clutch and check rollers and weights. Secondary may need a cleaning as well and check the rollers in it. Springs in the team don't sag out nearly as often as the primary but you may want to replace it as well.
Wouldn't hurt to check the reeds whiile you are at it for chipped corners.
Check your chain adjustment and oil and lube the jack shaft and drive shaft bearings.
I would also look at the hyfax and all of the boggie wheel bearings.

Replace or carry a spare water pump belt. This drives the oil pump as well and if it breaks on the trail, you need to drag it back to the truck.

Last edited:

14_racing

Oct 8, 2009
northeast SD
Found the torque stop, and the motor mount looks good. talked to the dealer and he said that there isnt really any need for checking crank runout being its got the big boy bearing kit so i guess as long as it runs good ill leave it. I think im just going to send the primary clutch off to indy dan to get balanced and rebuilt just to be on the safe side, and to help save the crank. I checked the secondary, everything looks good there. Checked the reeds, cleaned the carbs, all looks well. I have a different track that iam going to put on so ill check all of that other stuff when i do that. Thanks for the help!

ohhh good thinking, i think ill order one and replace it and keep the old one for a spare.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City

8 and 10mm sockets make changing the WP belt quick and easy. Watch the pull rope too. If it breaks, lots of times the part left in the starter will take the WP belt out. Polaris RTVs the knot on the end of the rope in the starter pully to prevent this but sometimes if there is a little rope left in there too it will get tangled in the belt.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
When you have the primary off check the crank run out... the dealer is wrong. Even with the toughboy bearing the cranks still wear out.

sled_guy

I

ice man

Jan 26, 2008
oliver bc canada
my old t-cat did that stayed ingaged at idle had to split sheaves on primary to find a belt thread binding clutch.special tools and heat required:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features