• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rob's (f-bomb) track mod, who's done it?

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
To further this discussion.....

Coop it's not just the lug stiffness that is at issue. The pattern, style, flex, where the lug flexes, and length are all significant factors dealing with "traction" constantly varying with snow conditions.

Another huge factor that is rarely discussed is windage. There is not enough room in the tunnel to effectively and efficiently vacate air so trying to force air volume through such a narrow space eats your power. Even if you have an open area and do not inhibit air flow the longer and less wind efficient lug pattern also requires more HP to rotate the mass. At some point in the machine you run out of HP to spin your transmission device. The balance of traction while achieving maximum output to the HP available is the "point just prior to diminished return". That's the point we all seek.
There are almost infinant variables and combinations of variables that all factor in so there is no way to conclude that one single pattern or design is clearly superior all of the time. I've got the majority of the time pretty well covered up and that's as good as I can hope for as of now. Also note that I rode the 155 Assault pattern prototype and that isn't the answer either.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Got a real world comparison last weekend.

Climbing a rutted, packed slope and with my cut (not screwed) track I was able to go right up at mid throttle, easy as pie. 2 buddies with un-cut 5.1 tracks followed me. One barely made it and had to pin it, and the other just spun out. Proof that it works better on hardpack, both of those guys are cutting their tracks this week.

In the soft snow earlier in the day, they were not able to out-climb me.

I'd do it again for sure. Thanks Rob!

highstick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
Track Screw

I did my 2007 dragon 155 and loved the difference. I cut just the tips with a new hook blade in my knife and no wd40 or anything else. I put 2 screws in the narrow paddles and 3 in the longer ones. Screw into the thickest part of the paddle. I sunk them in as far as the short square drive tip would go. We were in Wyoming last weekend and ran the trails at over 70 on the way down the mountain. I checked and didn't lose any screws.

I'm very happy with the performance of the track now. We ride mostly high altitude powder and hill climbing. I had no problem at all climbing up deep snow chutes. I think it's a great mod. Thanks f-bomb!

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Got a real world comparison last weekend.

One barely made it and had to pin it, and the other just spun out. Proof that it works better on hardpack, both of those guys are cutting their tracks this week.

That was me last weekend. I was spinning like a belt sander 3 feet from the top of Double Hill in the Unitas. I had to pull out and ride down. Not fun.

I've had the screws and the hook knife for over a month. I just need to make the time to do it!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
DEEEeeeeeEEEEP is sweet..."GOT BETTER BOARDS"! (my other little deal..that works pretty darn good as well!:D:D:D)

here is my 144 cut down and screwed with old style hex head screws...still works great since 2007..one missing lug from ramming the sidewalk curb at Hillclimb (Jackson) two years ago..

also note the prototype Better Bars..strong!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Polaris Better Bars prototype blue.jpg
    Polaris Better Bars prototype blue.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 451

WyoRMKowboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, WY
Did my 08 last week and rode yesterday in Encampment, 6-12" of new snow. First decent snow this year so I can not compare in the deep, but hard pack and boondocking was greatly improved.

2strokes_are_awesome

Dec 8, 2007
Flat and Boring
My guess is CE but the track mod costs $3 to buy a knife and cut the lugs. :beer;

^ Hey dragonfire, I'm just on the other side of moorhead running an 08 800 155 thats cut down if you want to compare your uncut track with it.

Last edited:
C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
61" of snow and the cut down track =

:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

This mod is awesome. Even in 61 inches of fresh this weekend, there was no performance difference vs. stock. We're cutting down my buddies track tonight. :face-icon-small-coo

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
TTT, looks like I am going to do this mod also, almost 6300 miles on my 07 600RMK, original track, what do I have to lose? LOL.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
we went for a trip to blue river and the snow conditions were unreal. going threw the trees following one behind the other on self made trails i found i could 1/4 throttle around where a stock 151 900 was spinning the whole time and i still could climb good.... had no stock 155 ish 140 hp sleds around to match but i was happy.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Id like to ask again because I didnt see a response. Has anyone tried just cutting and screwing every other. That way maybe you get some of the best from both worlds?
I think most just bite the bullet and cut them all. The tips on the remaining ones would just roll over anyway, so you would lose some of the benefit of the cut lugs in the first place. But hey, could not hurt to try it. You should have someone near Cooke that has the mod who you could run against...

The way I was looking at it was spend 600+ on a CE or possibly 300-400 on a replacement track to give with my sled when I sell it... no brainer for me. Camo Extreme prolly would not net you any more resale value anyway.

Premium Features