• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on Best aftermarket skis for the XP chassis

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some people, like Allen, prefer the narrow ski because they say it cuts into the hill better and gives better sidehill performance... It "ancors" the sled to the hill better.. and does not float up to the surface of the snow too much from what he told me.

He calls the SLT's .. "Pizza cutters"

IMO... There is a balance of floatation (in the deep) and "bite" (on sidehills)

I think that different skis do these different things better in various conditions/situations.

IMO... there is no "perfect ski" for all conditions.

Skis take minutes to change... why not have deep days skis, and skis for other conditions that you can swap out??

This year I'm installing the new Slydog Powder hound 8" as my "swiss army knife" pair of skis. The new geometry compared to the early models is night and day different when I demo'd them last season.

Last edited:

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Hmm, got the 7.5 PowderHounds on my 09 XP, gonna have to jerk the SLT's off the Racer-X sled and give them a try.

SkiDooHoser

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Driggs, Idaho
I am currently running the SLT and a set of Powder Pros. I just swap bottoms depending on conditions. Sled is a 09 163 camo 2.5.

The Powder Pros (I have the carls cut in them) are very good in deep powder. With the Carls cut they make laying sled over and sidhilling a breeze. They are just too aggressive when conditions get firm (or spring).

SLT's are work pretty good all the time. I doo think they are at a disadvantage over the pow pros when slow weaving in and out of tight trees in deep powder.

6.9's work OK. Not a very good powder ski IMO. I have the dual runners on mine. Helps turning for sure.

We have the DS on our new etec 154 and so far I can say that they are good in the powder and fair on the trail. Jury still out on these.

Tried the Powded hound and didn't like them at all. Seemed grabby in all conditions. Took them off after one days worth of riding.

My recommendation: Buy a SLT set and pow pro bottoms. Put the Carl's cut in the pow pros. Switch bottom depending on the weather forecast!!!!

Premium Features