• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

In-Helmet radios with Midland / Rino / others.

Brian

Lifetime Membership
Aug 17, 2009
Ogden, UT
So I am the first to fully admit that I'm new to sleds... My background is on ATVs, but several things I do there seem to translate well to the sled world.

In the ATV world, we've been using Midland GTX1000VP4 FRS / GMRS radios. They are a full 5-watts on GMRS, they are completely waterproof, and most importantly, you can pull out the rechargeable battery and swap it with AA batteries on the fly. Link to the Midland radios is here. I can tell you with 100% certainty these are the best basic FRS/GMRS radios on the market, hands down.

Attached to the Midland radios, I use a kit that installs right inside the helmets (earphones and microphone are embedded right inside). Out of the helmet a cable runs and connects to a "push to talk" button that's mounted right on the handlebars, and then connected to the radio. The point is that riders can talk to each other and hear each other from right inside their helmet... And the transmit-button can be pushed without taking their hands off the machine. Link to the helmet-kit I use is here.

The radios are easily attached to the handlebars with zip-ties. I find they hold better than any of the mounts I've attempted.

In other words... For around $120, you can get two radios and two helmet kits and two riders can talk easily to one another.

NOW... I'm looking at replacing my entire setup with the Rino 530hcx radios for the SOLE reason that I want the ability to see where the other riders are in the group at any given time. However, I've been hesitant to do so because I have such a significant investment in my helmet-radio kits (8 helmets across 6 different machines, which obviously comes with a pile of radios too).

I just learned, however, that the speaker / mic pinout on the Rino is -IDENTICAL- to the speaker/mic pinout on the Midland radios that I use... Which is good for several reasons...

1) For guests, I can continue to use my Midland radios and don't need to ask everyone in the group to buy a Rino.

2) All of my existing helmet kits are compatible with BOTH radios (in other words, someone can sit down on a machine, and regardless of whether it's my new Rino or the Midland radio, their helmet can plug right in).

3) The helmet kid for the Midland is significantly cheaper ($30) than the helmet kit designed for the Rino ($50).

THE POINT IS SIMPLE: You can safely and CHEAPLY use a combination of the Rino and the Midland radios I've mentioned above, since the helmet-kits are completely interchangeable, and both radios are very capable, high-power, and durable.

The only remaining question is how well the quick-disconnect works if you become dismounted from your sled. The quick-connect literally "pulls apart". The question is, will it safely separate, or will it damage the wire as it pulls apart?

I'm going to test the heck out of it this weekend. I will return and report.

Last edited:
F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
that is alot of work there....what I use is a mic\speaker with the radio in my pack I can hear as i ride and also talk as i ride....this set up works!!!!!

hmkbag028.jpg

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We just use the simple earbuds and stick the radios in our jackets. The only time we use the radios is when we are stopped and figure out that someone is stuck/separated so those work for us.

I like firecatguy's set up better - I don't want any wires attached from me to the sled. I'd break those within a half day ride, but I'm sure that setup would work for a lot of other riders.

F

flyboy103

Nov 27, 2007
Has anyone tried the throat mic setup that motorola makes? Been planning to try these for a couple years but havent gotten around to it yet.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I sure like my chatterbox radios. We talk a long way with other radios or rhinos, and don't have any cords hanging around anywhere because, it clips to the side of my helmet, easy to use controls, mics and ear speakers available for many helmet configs. They even have blue tooth now so the phone or ?? can be listened to while riding.

Priceless when sweeping a high steep rocky slope and coming down through a mine field. The guys down below can alert you of dangerous conditions with out your hands leaving the bars.

cons:
spendy, separate gps, some difference in channel numbering.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
X2 for the Chatterbox. We use these and they have never let us down. Clear reception and easy to use. They have a voice activation or a push to talk button. I like the ptt button just to make the mic engagement easier >>>>.

toesmack

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2008
Reno, NV
ChatterBox GMRS X1

As to the Garmin or Collett, both require extra wires and the Collett even has an external battery pack to deal with. As Tony has said, the ChatterBox is totally contained on the helmet. 9 ounces incl the battery. Collett battery pack alone weighs like 14 ounces, nearly a pound!

ChatterBox GMRS X1 claims up to 5 mile range. That won't happen. They are good out to about a mile or a little better in the right conditions. VOX or Push to Talk, water resistant and very rugged. I have had the same unit for 6 years. As to bulky, you won't feel it on the helmet. The 2 nine year old girls that we sometimes ride with don't notice them.

Also, Collett has a very short range in offroad applications. You can expect about 300 yards, and they won't talk with other handheld brands. ChatterBox will.

Talk and recieve on the fly, battery good for about 14 hours. 15 channels and TONS of side channels. Simple.

Yep, I sell ChatterBox. X1 now only $170
ED
775-230-6032

heavy_haul

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Meridian, Id
I have to disagree with the comment that Collett only works for a few hundred yards. I own a set and they work great. Have a good range on them. I have not read many decent or good reviews on the Chatterbox, not saying they dont exist, but with any radio device that does not have a repeater to bounce off of in the mountains the range of effectiveness depends on the terrain. Collett is not a bad communicator and it does work well. The battery pack does not pose an issue, you just put it in your coat pocket or your bib pocket and go. The part of the system that mounts on your helmet is not as bulky as the chatterbox.

What ever helmet communication you decide on, make sure to do your home work. Collett has a 3yr warranty compared to a 1yr from chatterbox. Have fun and be safe.

toesmack

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2008
Reno, NV
I have been using the same ChatterBox unit for 6 years now as have most of my riding partners. No problems. Way tough and performance is excellent. The main difference between the X2 and the X1 is power and range. The X2 is a FRS band radio with 1/2 watt of power output. The X1 has GMRS band which transmits at 2 watts power. Range is 3 to 5 times that of the FRS band radios.

I have heard poor reviews on the Chatterbox units of 10 years ago. But not many on the X1 or X2 units. Noise reduction headsets, good stereo sound for those who like to pipe in music. 12 to 14 hour battery, and a system that will talk with GMRS, FRS and handheld units from other manufacturers.

And yes you can hear in motion. Really cool training and safety tool for the rookies too.

F

Flattracker

Nov 30, 2010
Michigan
www.medallionis.com
Rino 530HCx

Rino 530HCx

Brian,

I just bought 6 of these Rino's for my group but have not used them in the field yet. I'm a Michigan guy but we go out to McCall Idaho every year for 10 days of BoonDockin and the idea of knowing where everyone in the group is at all times seemed like a good idea. I look forward to hear how things work out for you and would appreciate any tips you come across. I wouldnt describe these units as user friendly in the GPS/Navigation area (might just be me) but the radio portion was straight forward. Did you purchase the topo maps, I did but unfortunately I cant do much testing in the Idaho area from Western Michigan.

Take care and good riding!

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
Rino 530HCx

Brian,

I just bought 6 of these Rino's for my group but have not used them in the field yet. I'm a Michigan guy but we go out to McCall Idaho every year for 10 days of BoonDockin and the idea of knowing where everyone in the group is at all times seemed like a good idea. I look forward to hear how things work out for you and would appreciate any tips you come across. I wouldnt describe these units as user friendly in the GPS/Navigation area (might just be me) but the radio portion was straight forward. Did you purchase the topo maps, I did but unfortunately I cant do much testing in the Idaho area from Western Michigan.

Take care and good riding!

topo work great!!!!you can pan over on the map and zoom in and out.....another great addition to the rino is theses trail maps......
http://www.sledgps.com/

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
I've been thinkin about getting a setup like brians walkietalkie deal in the first post... I was going to get vox capable motorolas. What speaker/mic setup should I get so that I can talk hands free?? I don't want the ptt button on the bars!!

yes....I have no issues with this set up.......i can hear and speak as i ride.....

I second this setup. As long as you ride with a pack or have a way to stash the radio in your jacket, it's simple, effective and if the sled takes a dive down the hill or in the drink without you, your communication system is still with you.

I fought wildland fire for 10 years, spent a bunch of time in and around helicopters, ATVs, and Engines...the remote Mic worked the best to hear radio traffic.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I've been thinkin about getting a setup like brians walkietalkie deal in the first post... I was going to get vox capable motorolas. What speaker/mic setup should I get so that I can talk hands free?? I don't want the ptt button on the bars!!

The bar mount idea does not seem to be a good option.

I wa thinking of having the PTT button maybe routed to the underside of my visor near the edge, so I could just reach up and easily press the button.............

That is if the button is waterproof............

Then I was going to just tuck the radio inside my jacket pocket..........

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I have taken my old radios and head sets and shortened all the leads. The PTT button can live on your coat pocket or collar. It all works great for a mountain rider....no crap on the handle bars.

The chatter box just made it a pile easier. VOX is the pits with a sled engine for me so the PTT on the side of the chatterbox also fit right in great! In the mountains we have talked crazy distances away lots of times and then barely over a ridge the next.

For the folks who ride trails about any of the systems would prolly work OK. I suspect talking distance might be a bit more predictable.

Premium Features