• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Classes being held in IOWA

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
thanks mike for putting on a very good class, this was the second time i've attended his class , i would recomend his class to anyone who rides out west.

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
this was my second time in his class, still learning, it is hard to remember everything he throws at you in 4 hours, a lot of information! thanks boone for setting up this class and thanks again mike for putting on a great class.

madmaxx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
NW Iowa
Is he doing any more while in the area???? Wish I would have seen it earlier. Great to see peeps signing up and learning!!!!! We used to do some of our own basic training at our monthly club meetings, just the basic refresher and how to use the equipment...nothing to in depth but every little bit helps!!!

S
Nov 30, 2007
Ft.Collins COLORADO
Avalanche Class in NW Iowa????

Mike, the things you teach cant save a man from a dung pile in the middle of Iowa can they? How do you dig a pit in that shat? Do the layers get effected by the elements the same? I hope it doesnt turn to a liquid when it is sliding!

Great class,keep it up! Every time I start to climb a hill I stop and think.. Would Mike do this?

96j

Oct 13, 2008
nw iowa
avalanche class

ya thanks mike, first time to a class and learned a ton. So now just have to get the rest of the crew to a class. But I'll try to give them some pointers for now.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Avalanche class in Waterloo, Iowa

Four Hour Avalanche Class
Specifically for snowmobilers

Avalanche class coming to Waterloo, Iowa

Classes are effective, proven and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, human factors involved in avalanche accidents, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains.

Cost $45 Must sign up in advance. Discount on avalanche gear for participants.

Take the class with those you ride with.

Date: November 15, Sunday
Location: Five Sullivan Brothers Convention Center. Waterloo Ramada Inn 205 W. Fourth St.
Waterloo, IA 50701
Time: Sunday 12-4 pm

To sign up: Email Mike Duffy: duffyww1@aol.com

Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding, AVPRO. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years. Member American Avalanche Association. Trained by BCA and Ortovox.

Course content:
-Introduction to avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports.
-Signs of instability/stability analysis.
-Equipment.
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Deploying avalanche airbag packs
-Effective hasty search techniques.
-Mistakes in rescue.
-Group Dynamics/heuristics.
-Slide show: Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps.
-Preparing for your trip.
-What to do if lost or injured.
-Stability tests.
-Scenarios.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Classes be held in Iowa

Lets keep these to the Iowa forum. If anyone knows of any planned or are hearing rumblings of any, please keep us informed here. If anyone needs any help on this, let me know. :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features