• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'02 800 Summit: Reverse kills engine. Help!

Modmxz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lyle, Washington
teamhighmark.acnrep.com
Sled runs fine. Compression 130 and 125. When you hit the reverse button it kills the sled. Will shut down but won't fire back up. Any insight? My buddy would like to get this figured out. Any help would be appreciated.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
If it's idle is set real low the engine would die when shifting to reverse. If that's not the case, maybe ignition or MPEM?

R
Mar 16, 2010
Mine did that, too - until I did a top end. 125/130 sounds OKish, though (don't know what the 800s "should" have, elevation, etc). My 700 was 118/120 pre-top end (5500' elevation), had the idle adjusted a bit high, held the throttle open, and it'd engage reverse 1 out of 3 tries, roughly.

Post top end, reverse engages instantly, as expected. Have not done a c-test since the pistons, but it has a smidge more power & reverse works correctly, every time.

FWIW. There was nothing wrong with mine - belt tightness, idle, etc - but pressing the button = dead sled. Adjusting the idle up and cracking the throttle = reverse sometimes. Top end? Reach over, push the button, go backwards.

You needed an excuse to put a top end on it;).

RH

A

AMSOILR

Nov 9, 2008
Idaho
No Reverse

I had an 03 800 Summit X with about 1000 miles and it started doing the same thing. Hit the reverse switch and the engine dies. Sled seemed to run good except for that. I checked everything. Pulled the spark plugs and looked at the top of the pistons with a flash light. There were little dimples on both pistons. I pulled the top end down and the rings were flaking off. The rings scored the cylinders and put major dimples in the head and pistons. I had no problem with reverse after upper end overhaul. Apparently that was a common problem. Good luck with yours. :face-icon-small-hap

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Reverse

Comp in Lyle (sea level) should be 150 or so on that motor, our 800's non HO are 155. Bad rings is a good place to start.

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Mine did that after it detonated itself to death (you know, after a certain builder told me to "disconnect the det sensor and forget about it") and one cylinder was down to 90 if I remember correctly. After a new top end it stopped doing this. :)

Premium Features